Light-O-Rama Forums

Enclosure question

TheJackal

I have 5 PC controllers I need to get enclosures for. I can mount 2 in 1 enclosure,but the other 3  are individual ones. I know the popular answer will be the CG-1500. But, does anyone know what enclosure these are and if they make them big enough to hold 2?

post-12100-0-25479200-1391357862_thumb.j

If I remember correctly those are William bottomley's controllers. He's a member on here

Good memory. They are and he was.

Edited by TheJackal

I use a metal enclosure that is available at Home Depot.  I believe it is 10" x 10".  It is designed so water will run off of it without getting inside.  It also has a way to put a padlock on it.  The cost is about $40.00.

Jerry

I use a metal enclosure that is available at Home Depot.  I believe it is 10" x 10".  It is designed so water will run off of it without getting inside.  It also has a way to put a padlock on it.  The cost is about $40.00.

Jerry

Good grief Jerry, 40 bucks a piece? Must live on the bad side of St. Louis. I just bought two from DIY Christmas for 21 bucks for the pair. Still waiting for shipping but I would think that this will be less than another 20 bucks. Course it is plastic and does not have a padlock per say.

I feel like the metal enclosure provides better protection.

I've seen those plastic enclosures, and they look to me like they have the potential to leak.  The metal enclosure that I use is rated NEMA 3R.  It is designed so that rain water will run off - as long as it is right side up.  Of course it will leak if it ever gets submersed, but so will the plastic box.

I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Jerry

Ok, well like you say it comes down to personal preference. But just for the sake of discussion. Those plastice CG-1500 or the knock-offs use a seal between the door and body that would resemble a "S" and even with blowing rain or snow would be caught up in the middle of the "S" and then gravity will cause it to fall down to the bottom. And it is at the middle of the bottom where the "S" opens up to help allow for the water to flow out of the seal.

Oh well I am happy with my plastic and if your happy paying more for the metal boxes and they make you feel secure. Well thats all that matters.

Good grief Jerry, 40 bucks a piece? Must live on the bad side of St. Louis. I just bought two from DIY Christmas for 21 bucks for the pair. Still waiting for shipping but I would think that this will be less than another 20 bucks. Course it is plastic and does not have a padlock per say.

$40 each is pretty steep. Maybe if I could fit 2 in that box, it might be worth it. Max, do you have a link to the ones you bought?

I think Skycraft Surplus sold those. They don't have any now. http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/projectboxesinstrumentcases.aspx

Of course they don't. That's my luck.

Edited by TheJackal

I just took a better look at the site. Seems that once their pre-buy sale ended. They honored those who bought them with what remained in stock. Looks like they wont have any more for the next couple of months when their inventory will be restocked with what ever they bought over the ones that are reserved for the pre-buy list.

One thing about this hobby. best plan AT LEAST 12 months in advance if not 24 months. In part saving and budgeting, getting started early with the sequencing. And vendors have a long lead time with some of the stuff coming from China.

I am with Max on this one.. Plastic enclosures are the way to go in the whether.  Being an industrial controls eng and tech, I see all sorts of metal enclosures that are NEMA 3R and unless they are stainless, they almost always rust with time.  Of course in the hobby we might not have that issue since they are not out year around and you can touch up the paint as you see fit, but plastic enclosures that are made well, rock! 

I just took a better look at the site. Seems that once their pre-buy sale ended. They honored those who bought them with what remained in stock. Looks like they wont have any more for the next couple of months when their inventory will be restocked with what ever they bought over the ones that are reserved for the pre-buy list.

One thing about this hobby. best plan AT LEAST 12 months in advance if not 24 months. In part saving and budgeting, getting started early with the sequencing. And vendors have a long lead time with some of the stuff coming from China.

Yeah, the sale ended and out of stock. Seems everyone is on backorder except Ebay and Amazon. But, $60 and $45, respectively is out of the question. I think I have a solution for the 2 boards. I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood I had lying around, mounted 2 boards to it and dropped it into a $10 Walmart tub. Seems that might do the trick. I could run the extension cords so they all connect INSIDE the box. It would take 2' of snow to get into the box. I could probably do the same for the single boards, but mount them higher. 1 will actually be under my eave and shouldn't get wet.

sorry i can't get the video to work. I enclose 2 16 channel enclousers in a 5 gallon bucket. Drilled hole towards the bottom and ran my cords out.

Edited by MCas4380