Light-O-Rama Forums

6 Tips for large channel count sequencing

harrison0550

The D2 will do 2 universes (one out of each output) so 512 channels per output divided by 16 channels on each PC16 = 32 controllers per output. Or 64 total controllers per D2. :)

I invested in a solid state drive for my show, now a question.  Can I just install this drive as an auxiliary drive and load my sequences, video, and show on it.  Will this speed everything up, or must I reload Windows and LOR onto the SSD.  I don't really want to reinstall windows, all the updates, programs, etc.

I invested in a solid state drive for my show, now a question.  Can I just install this drive as an auxiliary drive and load my sequences, video, and show on it.  Will this speed everything up, or must I reload Windows and LOR onto the SSD.  I don't really want to reinstall windows, all the updates, programs, etc.

Denny, the SSD will likely not gain you a huge noticeable difference as majority of the wait time is in processing and loading HUGE XML files into memory.  You can definitely install the drive as a secondary and then move all your LOR stuff to it.  You can re-install LOR to it as well or just move the LOR files store to it by re-running LORPost.exe from your LOR install program directory.  You won't need to re-install windows unless you want to improve windows read performance off the SSD drive.

Denny, the SSD will likely not gain you a huge noticeable difference as majority of the wait time is in processing and loading HUGE XML files into memory.  You can definitely install the drive as a secondary and then move all your LOR stuff to it.  You can re-install LOR to it as well or just move the LOR files store to it by re-running LORPost.exe from your LOR install program directory.  You won't need to re-install windows unless you want to improve windows read performance off the SSD drive.

Thanks for the info.  I just installed the SSD today but haven't transferred anything to it.  Will reload LOR onto it and then transfer all the files.  I reduced the sizes of the video files too, so hope all this will speed things up.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder for everyone who turned off compressed sequences throughout the year to make save times quicker, make sure you turn it back on and re-save all your sequences so you wont have any hiccups at show time. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

Just a reminder for everyone who turned off compressed sequences throughout the year to make save times quicker, make sure you turn it back on and re-save all your sequences so you wont have any hiccups at show time. Happy Thanksgiving

Thanks for that most important tip!

Just a reminder for everyone who turned off compressed sequences throughout the year to make save times quicker, make sure you turn it back on and re-save all your sequences so you wont have any hiccups at show time. Happy Thanksgiving!

When using a show computer its not the same.  My show and sequencing computer dont share a drive. I transfer only the .lms via a backup remote ftp like dropbox.   The show computer gets to build the compressed file for playing the first time after transfer.  Last year I had different LOR versions on the two machines so the show computer didn't like the compressed built on the sequencing computer and rebuilt it anyway.  

• 2 months later...

Wow this post is now over a year old and is still the best way to squeeze out all the performance out of the sequencer. I really thought we would have seen an update by now.

• Like 2

Let's Keep pushing this post to the top. As most of us with larger displays are sequenceing Now,  we need to remember how to prevent the frustration level from escalating.   Thanks for the tips.

• 3 years later...
19 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Ok so just getting into pixels when will I be experiencing this in the future. 

As soon as you move to S5. I am kidding.

You may want to start a new thread since a lot has changed - but most of the key contributors within this thread are still here.

Just sequence one prop at a time, use the shared ones when you find some that fit your needs. ( yeah, some will not like that answer)

No matter what have more than 1 back up and as I learned just before HAlloween - A SSD can fail and it is major when it does. I was able to recover all files from my SSD with software however I am discovering some files have been partially destroyed (all sequences), I still have not started reorganizing the old stuff on the new drive because of the time of year. I am taking a month off to do it. LOL

I sequence one item at a time but remember there are several of us that teamed up so we all have our part, This decreases the sequencing time in a big way. Team work and then we share with everyone else. 

JR

• Like 1

Wow! This post is almost 5 years old now. I had to try 5 different passwords just to get back in the forums. Hahaha. A lot has changed with the addition of S5. I have 100% migrated away from LOR software so I have no idea how much of this original post is relevant. Lord I hope 5 years worth of improvement has made all those work arounds pointless but I have no idea. Was great for 2014 though! As already mentioned I would highly recommend starting a new thread and getting some updated info. Good luck!