Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR.. All BS aside.. time to answer the questions

plasmadrive

Unless you're planning on 25 universes, go ahead. I know one person who ran close to 20k channels with no problems. I had a smidge over 6k last year and had zero problems with the software. I will stay with LOR until it just won't do what I need. Until/if that time comes, LOR is my software of choice.

Agreed.  I've been running generic pixels with LOR for 2 seasons now.  The more you have, the more you will probably rely on tricks, workarounds, and other software aids to get your work done, but it is very possible. 

Edited by Tim Fischer
  • Like 3

Just wanted to jump in here and say a few words.  I have been running LOR since 2007.  I love the hardware and IMO there customer service is the best.  They run a fantastic company.  I run just over 600 regular channels, have 17 CCR's  and 14 sets of CCB"S.  I have had some experience with pixels this last year.  I will be expanding my pixel count this year running four San Devices and about 18 universes give or take.  This seems to be the way of the future (i.e. pixels) and I to want to see LOR keep up with that demand!  I do not want to go to another software!!  I have looked at others and want to stay where I am. 

Just wanted LOR to know I hope that this will be an important upgrade consideration for them, as many of us love their products as well and using the pixels.

• Like 2

I am a LOR user getting ready to make the plunge into Pixels based on the deal going on at Holiday Coro currently, but reading through this post, I am now hesitant because this is a significant investment to do so.  Dont know how long I can wait for an answer and risk missing the pre season sale.  Would love to know if LOR is going to help me keep the faith.

I think if you go back and re-read from the start, you will find that it is a MAJOR software upgrade.... 

Just sayin

Greg

Listen, over the years Dan Has always given us a great software product to work with I think we all would agree to that, why would anyone think we would not get that this time as well. It will happen.

(switching gears a little bit) For me, If it were not for Rob Boyd and i am sure a lot of us has had his help, you just mention needing help on the forms and this guy is the first one to say how can I help you,  I could not have even gotten my pixels running this past year if it wasn't for him. So for me Ron Boyd is Santa Claus! This community couldn't be hurt by having a few more of him around. 

Now for me, and I hate to admit it, the program is more advanced then I know how to work with on the pixel end of things, but that's what it comes down to for quite a few of us. We can't figure out how to manipulate the program to work for our needs/pixels and controllers, and for others they have just outgrown the advanced programming of LOR & superstar. To be quite honest it's really not the programming it's the configuration and the setup of your products you're trying to use with LOR or superstar. 

It will all get there. I'm sure Dan and the team are well aware of everything happening in the industry with pixels controllers and third-party programs. I'm sure their goal is to have everyone stay put and use just their program for all our lighting needs. It's like in football they always say offense scores points but defense wins games, well in this case, the controllers make your lights blink but it's the great software that makes you want to buy more stuff. At least that's how I see it.

I would not want to buy more lights, wireframes or anything else if the software wasn't fun to work with and I couldn't feel like I was doing something amazing for other people. It does and the reason we all stay and we all buy more is because it's fun to program the lights using LOR.  Now I know there's a bunch of other technical things happening that everyone wants to see improved like, the size of files, loading times, etc. I'm not thinking of what needs tweaking with the system, well again I'm sure Dan and his team is well aware of all of those issues and more that we don't know about. 

All I want to know,  and I can wait until Dan tells us, is what the new program date will be, what its gonna do and let me get back to having fun!  

Edited by LORAdmin
Cleaned this up so everyone would quit bashing people over their writing skills. *sigh*

Listen, over the years Dan Has always given us a great software product to work with I think we all would agree to that, why would anyone think we would not get that this time as well. it will happen..  (switching gears a little bit) for me, If it were not for Rob Boyd and i am sure a lot of us has had his help, (you just mention needing help on the forms and this guy is the first one to say how can I help you,  I could not have even gotten my pixels running this past year if it wasn't for him.  so for me (Ron Boyd is Santa Claus! this community couldn't be hurt by having a few more of him around) now for me and I hate to admit it the program is more advanced then i know how to work with on the pixel end of things,. But that's what it comes down to for quite a few of us. we can't figure out how to manipulate the program to work for our needs/pixels and controllers, and for others they have just outgrown the advanced programming of LOR & superstar, and to be quite honest it's really not the programming it's the configuration and the setup of your products you're trying to use with LOR or superstar. it will all get there I'm sure Dan and the team are well aware of everything happening in the industry with pixels controllers third-party programs. I'm sure their goal is to have everyone stay put and use just their program for all our lighting needs. It's like in football they always say offense scores points but defense wins games, well in this case, the controllers make your lights blink but it's the great software that makes you want to buy more stuff. at least that's how I see it, I would not want to buy more lights wireframes or anything else if the software wasn't fun to work with and I couldn't feel like I was doing something amazing for other people, and it does and the reason we all stay and we all buy more is because it's fun to program the lights useing LOR. now I know there's a bunch of other technical things happening that everyone wants to see improved,like... the size of files, loading times, things that everybody will think I'm not thinking of that needs tweaking with the system, well again I'm sure dan and his team is well aware of all of those issues and more that we don't know about. so All I want to know,  and I can wait until Dan tells us what the new program date will be what its gonna do and let me get back to having fun!  

Whitespace and the return key is your friend. :)

-Tim

• Like 2

I started this hobby in early 2005. If I had waited on S2 to come out, which was 'just around the corner', I wouldn't have had a display until at least 2007 (if not later.)

Give them time. I know it's not the answer everyone wants to hear, but having been around these parts since 2005, that's just how it goes. 

Well Don, know you will take this the wrong way!!  But  didn't know that you started this hobby in early 2005,, "started in this hobby in early 2005" is better said ;-)

Well Don, know you will take this the wrong way!!  But  didn't know that you started this hobby in early 2005,, "started in this hobby in early 2005" is better said ;-)

Watch out, I am sure another *sigh* is about to come.

• Like 1

Thank you for pointing out the missed word!

(I hope that wasn't taking it the wrong way.)

• Like 1

Jerry, Awh, I wouldn't "poke the lion" at the moment, "no news is good news" (so I'm told), keep your panties on, etc, etc, etc, etc, When Dan is ready He will speak.

Rome (and software) where NOT built in a day.... A major release can NOT be held to a time line, when he (they) are ready I'm QUITE SURE, we will be the FIRST to know...

Nudge, nudge Dan, THAT was a direct hint to post the news HERE first....................................

Greg :)

Edited by a31ford
  • Like 1

I backup Jerry, its been a month since last update. 

All I'm personally wanting at the moment is word on what will be new with the software, not the release itself.  That would be asking too much.

• Like 1

Wouldnt hurt to hear what direction Dan and crew are hoping to take the software. As a list of new features or improved features. That would be nice to see.

I backup Jerry, its been a month since last update.

Actually it's been a month since the first "an update is coming", and 2 weeks since the last "the update is still coming" :)

I kinda gotta agree.. More important that we understand the direction of the features and/or the additions rather than the actual release date...  I am starting to get a bit antsy now myself. 

• Like 1

I DO understand the "wanting to know" feeling (I have it myself), However, knowing what I know about software (and the programming of it)  I'll say this.

"Much of the problem for knowing what will be available, is in fact, the inherent problem in writing software. (You can't say what will work until you make it work, so if it doesn't work OR there is a big bug in it (a certain option lets say), it's better to say quite until it works CORRECTLY.............)", as it might turn out that "that certain option" simply is not workable.

Greg

Edited by a31ford

I remember this sort of thing about new software going on two, three or maybe even four years, been so long I don't remember when(sorry my brain ain't as young as it used to be). Anyway I believe it was when we were waiting for S2 and we were told some time this year it would be out. Well I think it took a little over a year to come out. I know Dan said he would let us know more specifics in a couple of weeks but I hope it is not to just string us along. I love LOR, I found it in 2006 while I was doing some research to write my own software. Even if you can't tell us exactly what the changes are, please let us know if it is going to come out soon enough for us to be able to continue sequencing for this year.

I hate to say "I told you so", BUT...

I DO understand the "wanting to know" feeling (I have it myself), However, knowing what I know about software (and the programming of it)  I'll say this.

"Much of the problem for knowing what will be available, is in fact, the inherent problem in writing software. (You can't say what will work until you make it work, so if it doesn't work OR there is a big bug in it (a certain option lets say), it's better to say quite until it works CORRECTLY.............)", as it might turn out that "that certain option" simply is not workable.

Greg

The problem there is that many of us have been waiting a lot longer than you have even been a member here. 

Note the date (2012):

For next year, we do plan to increase the number of channels we can efficiently handle. The goal is to be able to edit 100K channels with reasonable response times. To me 5 seconds is a long time and is way long to wait for things to happen.

Dan

So what I fear, based on a31ford's logic above, is that LOR simply can't make it work, assuming they have already been working on this the past 1 1/2 years (honestly, they should have seen this coming 1+ years prior to that, but that is another issue).  Or worse yet, based on Dan's statement at the end of January (below), is that they just recently started working on this (which means it could still take 6-12+ months to even see if they can make it work). 

We will be making some major enhancements to the software this year that will provide enhanced support for the higher pixel counts. I do not have specifics available but it will be a significant change. I will be able to provide more specifics in a couple weeks. 

So to many of us, this is much more than a "wanting to know feeling," but rather decision time about whether we are electing to continue to fall further behind the rest of the lighting community that has already chosen to move on to other sequencing software (and losing ground by the day), just because we want to stay loyal to LOR.  In my opinion, in the past LOR always managed to lead the way with regards to sequencing software.  Sadly this past year has proven otherwise.  So the question is, can LOR (and therefore can I) catch up?  Surpass?   I have too much time and money invested in this hobby to lose ground much longer.  I don't think many expect specifics with regards to exact timeline or exact software features, but I think it is only fair to request some ballpark estimates with regards to both timeline and improvements/problems that are being worked on. 

• Like 2

Surfing4dough.....

Why would you quote TWO DIFFERENT conversations talking about this ? THE 2012 THING....  I will PERSONALLY take offence to.

Does that somehow make you better than me or something ? (Hands down that was Ignorant)

I simply know things that you don't, plain and simple, if you don't like it, "deal with it !"

Guys, Please don't take it in this direction. I am sure if this keeps up LOR forum Admin will surely close this thread.

• Like 2