Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR.. All BS aside.. time to answer the questions

plasmadrive

Would be nice to know a few different things.
1. Software mentioned as above
2. 8 Channel Controllers Return it's no longer 2012 it's 2014
3. The RF-V5 transmitters
4. Firmware update for the Gen  2 controllers that give them the dimming curves
5. A display card for the ctb16pc controllers           you can find this on pg 11 http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16PCg3_UserMan_Web.pdf

I asked a question of LOR about software plans.  Whether they will or won't be adding a better pixel handling control part to their software.  If they have no plans to move in that direction, it is their choice.  I never said that made them bad.  LOR is a great company and I like some of their hardware.. I also like the current version of the software, but it doesn't appear that is will work well in the future as larger numbers of pixels become more and more prevalent in the coming years.   I used it fine this year with 3300 E1.31 channels and about 300 LOR channels.  I plan to add a lot this year and I don't want the headaches that others have been plagued with.. Simple as that.

If LOR is going to upgrade to a usable software, I will hang with it.  If they have no plans to I don't see how I can... Very simple concept.. I just want them to LET US KNOW.  

So, if by Friday they have not viewed it as important enough to at least answer a couple of questions, I will start pursuing other software packages.  This is just me..  I am fine either way... I do think some respect is owed it's customers in the way of an answer... even if it is "go pound sand".... But again.. that is their choice... Let us see what Friday holds. 

As I stated, for me.... silence is an answer of "NO".  Can't see how it could be taken any other way.

• Like 1

Would be nice to know a few different things.

1. Software mentioned as above

2. 8 Channel Controllers Return it's no longer 2012 it's 2014

3. The RF-V5 transmitters

4. Firmware update for the Gen  2 controllers that give them the dimming curves

5. A display card for the ctb16pc controllers           you can find this on pg 11 http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16PCg3_UserMan_Web.pdf

Titus:

I can already answer #4 for you.  It won't happen. The CPU hasn't got the horsepower to do dimming curves.  That came from LOR tech support. 

<snip>

I would love to continue using their software product for my show. I know it. It works well for my 300 AC channels. However, when it takes 2-3 minutes every time I open or save a sequence file, it becomes frustrating, at best. 

Beta version to address this discussed here.

Fair enough. I haven't tried it yet, but was planning to as part of an upcoming "system loading" experiment I have planned. Losing some of the safeguards is disappointing and feels more like a work-around than a fix. I plan to give an honest report-out when I do.

In the end, I believe that LOR should take whatever course they believe is best for the company. Every company has to make consumption choices and they make those decisions based upon what is believed to be best for them, even if others see things differently. All I'm looking for is a roadmap that shows me what their plans are, if any, in this particular area. Turning off useful features isn't what I'd prefer, but if that's their long-term plan for dealing with the challenges, I'd like to know that so I can decide if that solution is good enough for what I'm trying to do or if I need to consider a longer-term alternative.

Personally for me the only LOR products i will be using will be the S3 and the Super star. As many have said, their products are a bit on the high side of the price chain. I can build 4 controllers for the price of one LOR controller. As i have read what you guys with the large shows have said, it seems that LOR should stay with the S3 for guys like me, and make a commercial grade software for you. Sounds to me like some of you would be willing to pay say $300 for a software package that can control 20k plus channels.

Three years ago when I started, I realized that LOR was a hardware company. The purpose of the software was to sell hardware.

That has not changed. And that's fine. With pixels, CCRs were there because not everyone can handle a pile of Chinese parts, solder, and shrink tube.

You keep asking LOR to become a software company. Probably not gonna happen.

MY question is... will Xlights give us a decent music sequencer, scheduler and show builder for LOR hardware that lots of people own?

I will have to check this out.. perhaps it might work.  I don't really want to exit LOR software, but I don't want to experience all the issues I keep reading about when I expand this year. 

Let's see what shakes from that thread..

Personally for me the only LOR products i will be using will be the S3 and the Super star. As many have said, their products are a bit on the high side of the price chain. I can build 4 controllers for the price of one LOR controller. As i have read what you guys with the large shows have said, it seems that LOR should stay with the S3 for guys like me, and make a commercial grade software for you. Sounds to me like some of you would be willing to pay say $300 for a software package that can control 20k plus channels.

I already have almost twice that much in S3 and 40 CCR Superstar. I'm not really wanting to have to pay more. $540 ought to be as much as I have to spend.

• Like 2

We will be making some major enhancements to the software this year that will provide enhanced support for the higher pixel counts. I do not have specifics available but it will be a significant change. I will be able to provide more specifics in a couple weeks. 

We will be making some major enhancements to the software this year that will provide enhanced support for the higher pixel counts. I do not have specifics available but it will be a significant change. I will be able to provide more specifics in a couple weeks. 

Dan,

This is great news!   

With no specifics in mind... will whatever you have planned be available for general use in the next few months?  

Thanks,

Craig

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thank you Dan Baldwin. Looking forward to the changes.

Whew! I feel better already.

I am very excited.  the thought of going to a new program for me was very real and heaving to start over again was and is a very real choice i might have to make..... "BUT" my heart says wait and see, I am willing to learn anything but, I will wait to see what Dan and the light O Rama team has for us and what it is going to do for my needs. after all that Dan has done for me......you got it Dan, I will wait. I hope just not to long, Please 

This is indeed great news.  I can limp along with the current version of S3 for one more season if necessary, but there would need to be some significant enhancements for me to proceed beyond that.  I can't wait to hear/see what's coming.

-Tim

What boards are your using in the controllers you are building?  Renard?  Lynx?  You running DMX out of S3?

One question-will it be 64bit?

I WOULD be excited if the statement didn't include "I do not have specifics available but it will be a significant change. I will be able to provide more specifics in a couple weeks. "    Seriously, how far along could they be in the process, if they don't even have some specifics to strive towards?  I'm not a programmer so I have ZERO idea how long an overhaul like this will take, but wouldn't be significant?  Tim...Sr. Software Engineer...perhaps you could speak to it?    I'm just a bit skeptical, I have 14 AC controllers, and added 2800 pixels last year and have another 2500 on their way.  I have already spent the max on LOR software and Superstar, so I too would hate to walk away from that investment,  but at the same time, all the headaches that have been listed above, I experienced, & I'd spend 400 bucks for Advil(or another software) to make them go away this year. I'm very much looking forward to Sir Dan's followup!

LOR coped with my 15K channels last year, kinda.

This year I will have 20Kish channels. 

I shall wait for the specifics that I pray come in that "couple of weeks" time period.  My primary need is x64bit and increase LOR visualizer limit.  I'll be very happy with that :)  Sequencing that many channels takes a long time yes but thats my choice :)

I hope the software enhancements go along with some new hardware - such as a configurable smart RGB controller that allows you to specify the string type - and communicates over the faster LOR network.  I am interested in this because I currently control my show using the G3MP3 controller.

For 2014 I will be using the ELOR with my E681 boards.  

Perhaps a faster LOR network too!  I am sure distance plays a factor with speed. 

Titus:

I can already answer #4 for you.  It won't happen. The CPU hasn't got the horsepower to do dimming curves.  That came from LOR tech support. 

Oh well, I really didn't care about the curves, it's actually the feature where I can set a channel to ON/OFF only. 

• Like 1