Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR.. All BS aside.. time to answer the questions

plasmadrive

If you were Dan these forums would be a very boring place which no one ever bother to visit.

A little banter keeps things lively and keeps users active while we wait for the answers we hope are coming.

"LOR.. All BS aside"

Sounds like a good old fashion calling out to me .

Please excuse me , I'm taking my toys and going home now

LOL.. I don't call people out..

So now I ask you.. how much BS has been generated in the thread???  Lots and lots I  would say..  That would be my reason for asking it to be locked...

Like it or don't... doesn't effect me one way or the other..  

Now by answering you guys I am just as guilty at perpetuating the BS.. so I will stop now.. :blink:

If you were Dan these forums would be a very boring place which no one ever bother to visit.

A little banter keeps things lively and keeps users active while we wait for the answers we hope are coming.

Ok.. just one more....

Steve.. good point!

Let's move this thread back into a more positive direction:

To Dan and LOR:  It would be great if you could provide some details, even vague ones, about what you expect in the pipeline and a very rough ballpark time frame.  As I indicated earlier in this thread, I'm really not in a bind for the 2014 season... I won't be adding significant channel count this year (I know that is not true for everyone else... I'm just commenting on my personal situation).  So if you said that there were major changes coming that wouldn't make it for this season, I'd still be OK with that. 

A lot of us have used LOR hardware and software for a long time and would like to continue doing that.  But it really seems that LOR has changed directions in teh past few years, moving from powerful controller that even the low end can afford and use, to more of a "value-added" retailer of lighting products.

It's disturbing to me that products that were planned for the 2012 season (including an E1.31 bridge for LOR controllers, powerline data for LOR pixels, etc) still haven't seen the light of day.  And the sequence editor hasn't had any major features added in 2 seasons either.

It's frustrating that even something as simple as the "4GB patch" hasn't been officially recognized, much less implemented. 

-Tim

Edited by Tim Fischer
  • Like 3

Good to see the update. I'm excited to hear about 64-bit multicore support. Also, hoping that the introduction of LORNet doesn't eliminate their support for e1.31.

• Like 2

In case some of you are not part of Facebook forums, this was posted by Sean. It gives some insight as to what was going on in the timeframe between Dan's first comments and today's announcement. I hope Sean does not mind that I cut and pasted it:

Sean Meighan writes:

Matt and I were approached by LOR to see if LOR could get a copy of our source tree. Since our code is, and will remain , open source we needed to figure out to do this. Matt and I did NOT do this for any commercial reason. I asked myself if LOR had access to our code would it help users? The agreement we came to was to allow a one time snapshot of our code that LOR would pay for. Matt and I are not working for LOR, we are not stopping development of xlights, we will be making the same number of releases as we have in the past. Matt and I do NOT know what Dan will do with the code. The terms were they get a one time copy. I think he will use it to seed his code base so that it can scale to the larger channel counts. We finished this deal a few weeks ago and have been waiting for LOR to make an announcement. I think his is good news for LOR in that they get the great architecture of xlights to help scale. It does NOT effect us in our development. Dan is an honest and upfront guy. Our code is available opensource. they could have taken parts of it and we would never have known. I think this is good for xlights users in that our file formats (xseq, fseq) and the integration with LOR will become tighter. We are NOT feeding our future versions into LOR. Matt and I wish Dan and LOR the best of luck. we, the xlights team, now will go bnack to what we are working on. I have over 100 items to prioritize

• Like 2

I agree with Aaron, I hope your new network protocol doesn't become too propritary and eliminate the ability to connect to and drive E1.31 networks.  I really hope that you continue to support industry standard DMX protocols.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with your announcement.  All good things.

Thanks Dan and all at LOR.