Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR.. All BS aside.. time to answer the questions

plasmadrive

I will be creeping over the 10K channel count this year so it would be good to see some enhancements with SuperStar for sure. I started with LOR gear but have moved on to all DIY stuff at this point but I have spent more on LOR SW (incl SS) and upgrades over the years than I did for my original LOR HW so it would be nice to see it move with the times...

Thanks for the plug James.  I agree with you.  For regular AC channels, S3 is great, as is.  I personally have few if any complaints at this time.

I've got about 750 regular AC channels and 975 RGB channels of all LOR stuff (CCR, CCB, CCP) and the S3 software does an excellent job with all that.  Sequences take about 15 seconds to load and about 25-30 seconds to save in the SE, and I'm okay with that - gives me a chance for a quick game of solitaire or a run to the loo.  But I'd like to drastically expand my pixel count this year and I'm not wanting to get into the mega waits that so many people describe.  It's obvious that a 32-bit application just isn't robust enough to do the job.  I agree that we should give LOR a chance to catch up, and hold our criticisms until we see what it looks like.  

• Like 1

I agree with you guys about waiting to see how LOR turns out...as long as they don't keep us hanging. I think they should give us a date for release and push for it. I also do some programming at work, so I know you can't write a program of this caliber over night but pixels have been around for a few years now(maybe even longer) so it is not like they just came out and now LOR has to scramble to catch up. I know LOR would like us to use their hardware but at least for me their RGB hardware is just way overpriced. I do appreciate the fact that they are providing some support in their software to be able to use other types of hardware. I do own two CCR's as well as 12 LOR AC controllers so I do love their stuff and ESPECIALLY the support you get from LOR if you have problems. But I also have 3 Sandevice E682 devices controlling 6000 RGB channels and I need the software to handle it efficiently and be a little less cumbersome for sequencing so many RGB channels.

Just my opinions

I started looking at new software last month and gave myself to the end of January to make a descision. Now, I've exteded that descision until the end of Febuary because I'm tring to write a sequence in each of the packages I'm testing.  That has taken longer than expected. I'd like to stick with LOR, but I need to have something running in a month and I don't think they can do that.  If they were planning on having this sort of support this early in the year, I think we would have heard about it already.

WOW.. Great news that Dan will supply us with an answer soon. AC channels closed to 500 and 10k RGB channels and growing every year. LOR is my choice of software and thanks to Plasma for start the topic. 

Jeff

That sounds like an awesome machine, I would love to have that for my sequencing machine, But I am running an AMD dual core 2.4Ghz with 2GB ram for my show computer. Keep in mind I have 192 LOR A/C channels, 38 Digital output circuits as well as 6000 DMX channels. As a show computer it runs great with no problems. I only say that to help save some money on a show computer. If you are planning on that one to be your sequencing computer I love it But also plan on a powerful video card to handle the Visualizer processing.

That sounds like an awesome machine, I would love to have that for my sequencing machine, But I am running an AMD dual core 2.4Ghz with 2GB ram for my show computer. Keep in mind I have 192 LOR A/C channels, 38 Digital output circuits as well as 6000 DMX channels. As a show computer it runs great with no problems. I only say that to help save some money on a show computer. If you are planning on that one to be your sequencing computer I love it But also plan on a powerful video card to handle the Visualizer processing.

Memory upgrades are a cheap but fast way to gain performance. :)

Xlights --- sequence AC channels in lor, then xlights nutcracker for the rgb --- superstar? No thanks. 19k channels

I did a lot of just that this last season.  I programmed the AC stuff in S3 and a lot of the Plasma Icicle stuff in xlights..   The precise timing I still did in S3.  I own SS but haven't found it that useful as of yet.   That is why I was hoping for more from LOR this year.  Looks like something is coming.. but still don't have a clue as to when it will be released..

Kip,  Waaaaaaay overkill for a show computer.  Even overkill for sequencing.  Graphics card would be a better investment than the hard drives for sequencing.  Duel monitor is great, I'd love to have a quad monitor setup.

That machine will be during Christmas, I would have put the system in VMWARE, but I would have to put the server in the closet... and it's too expensive for the closet, that system will also be tied to the main network and will monitor video surveillance for the property.

Throw as much hardware at this problem as you want and you won't come close to the capabilities that can be done in software optimization.

• Like 1

Throw as much hardware at this problem as you want and you won't come close to the capabilities that can be done in software optimization.

Amen

I couldn't agree more with this thread , I am having major issues with S3 as is . I don't mind waiting for a release , but a timeframe would be nice . If its not going to be for this season then a lot of us will have to possibly not move forward with props we are planning / building and getting supplies for .

What I have heard about the last upgrade, that was released the other day, has made it crash even more than before. Is this is what can expected?

What I have heard about the last upgrade, that was released the other day, has made it crash even more than before. Is this is what can expected?

Source please. 

What was released yesterday has been open beta for a while. It may not have much in common with what is being planned.

We will be coming out with some more detail in about a week ( as said earlier )... 

However seems like there is a lot of activity here and wanted to comment a little. One is that if people are having problems with S3 please make sure that those issues are posted in the S3 section. I was not aware that there were any issues with the software crashing so I would appreciate it if any details could be provided so we can fix it. 

Thanks

Dan