Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR.. All BS aside.. time to answer the questions

plasmadrive

I WOULD be excited if the statement didn't include "I do not have specifics available but it will be a significant change. I will be able to provide more specifics in a couple weeks. "    Seriously, how far along could they be in the process, if they don't even have some specifics to strive towards?  I'm not a programmer so I have ZERO idea how long an overhaul like this will take, but wouldn't be significant?  Tim...Sr. Software Engineer...perhaps you could speak to it?    I'm just a bit skeptical, I have 14 AC controllers, and added 2800 pixels last year and have another 2500 on their way.  I have already spent the max on LOR software and Superstar, so I too would hate to walk away from that investment,  but at the same time, all the headaches that have been listed above, I experienced, & I'd spend 400 bucks for Advil(or another software) to make them go away this year. I'm very much looking forward to Sir Dan's followup!

Guys in ways, it is comments like this that drive Dan crazy. Look at this forum. Threads have a tendency to get out of hand and off subject very quickly. No matter what Dan says, someone on the forum will be willing to dissect it and interpret it anyway they want to. He is damned if he does/doesn't. In the past Dan has been crucified for making statements. I understand why he is gun shy.

I too agree, LOR needs to ride the tide and make changes. However, if you are not in the software industry you have little understanding of the complexities.

While I am frustrated with their software advances, LOR has attempted to keep it's current users compatible through the years. Backward compatibility is key to preserving a user base. Sure they could completely re-write a different tool and charge you for it. Then there would be squawking about how "they abandonded us". A company attempting to blend the best of, user data IP preservation, and advances in innovation, is a difficult and lengthy balancing act.

Nutcracker (and I am not picking on Sean) has no legacy to worry about. Even Madrix had problems from M2 to M3 compatibility.

What I am trying to say is, cut LOR a break. They keep quiet because it is the least of 2 evils. Give Dan a chance like Tim stated, to generate a proper response.

Safe to say, Dan is very keen on the currents of their customer base.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now

• Like 5

Guys in ways, it is comments like this that drive Dan crazy. Look at this forum. Threads have a tendency to get out of hand and off subject very quickly. No matter what Dan says, someone on the forum will be willing to dissect it and interpret it anyway they want to. He is damned if he does/doesn't. In the past Dan has been crucified for making statements. I understand why he is gun shy.

I too agree, LOR needs to ride the tide and make changes. However, if you are not in the software industry you have little understanding of the complexities.

While I am frustrated with their software advances, LOR has attempted to keep it's current users compatible through the years. Backward compatibility is key to preserving a user base. Sure they could completely re-write a different tool and charge you for it. Then there would be squawking about how "they abandonded us". A company attempting to blend the best of, user data IP preservation, and advances in innovation, is a difficult and lengthy balancing act.

Nutcracker (and I am not picking on Sean) has no legacy to worry about. Even Madrix had problems from M2 to M3 compatibility.

What I am trying to say is, cut LOR a break. They keep quiet because it is the least of 2 evils. Give Dan a chance like Tim stated, to generate a proper response.

There is an old joke in the software/programming world:

Why was God able to create the world in seven days?

Because there was no installed base.

• Like 1

I kinda have to agree with you.  Dan was good enough to answer one of my questions ( since I am the OP)..Which nobody thought he would... 

Since he didn't answer the second for what ever reason, (he may not know) I re-asked it as follows:

"This is great news!   

With no specifics in mind... will whatever you have planned be available for general use in the next few months? "

I specifically didn't want to corner Dan or put him on the spot.. just wanted to know if I personally will be able to keep with S3 or not due to my display enlargement..   

As the OP I am satisfied with the 1st answer.  I would like to know the 2nd answer however.  Time frame will have a lot to do with this years display.  Other than that, I applaud the answer we have so far. 

Please guys.. lets just wait and see what Dan has to say, if anything about the upcoming time frame. 

Edited by plasmadrive

Where did you get that date from?  What does it mean...  I know he said more specifics in a couple of weeks, but I would not count on finish software even for beta by then.. but is so.. whoo hooo

Where did you get that date from?  What does it mean...  I know he said more specifics in a couple of weeks, but I would not count on finish software even for beta by then.. but is so.. whoo hooo

Just a guess, but its 2 weeks from today, which is what Dan had eluded to today on his post...just a guess though.

I think since Dan has made a statement to us, Dan won't say anything more until its time for the next step, then and only then will we here form him. His small statement to us lets us all know hes on the job! and going to fix this. he knows its time and they can't wait any longer, and i kind of think this is not something that came up today . I'm sure he's thinking of whats best for everyone and what will make the program ready for the new world of pixels and what ever comes next. We all have a lot on the line here but think about it, Dan has the most on the line and the most to lose here, its hes name and reputation and fantastic company, trust me he knows what needs to be done.after thinking about it more we should all give him the time he needs to get it done right, I don;t think anyone saw this coming I mean for example I was not even considering pixels until i saw them in TN at the show, now my show this season will have over or close to 2k plus in it and thats in less then a seasons time. so I think it took us all by surprise maybe not to the big boys and the teck people but to the everyday Christmas guy.....Me, we all see now pixel will be the way of the future. just like we thought led was. I am sure Dan has been putting ideas to work on  this for a while and he's just letting us in on it now, I mean look how we are all acting now so imagine how crazy it would be if he told us in October that plains were in the works for this. we would have been kicking the doors in. Just like we were just before s3 was put out. So I think we are in good hands now.   I really dought it will be anything less then what we all need. I personally can't wait. I'm good and I think everyone should be too. has Dan EVER let us down before......and the answer is NO! 

I already have almost twice that much in S3 and 40 CCR Superstar. I'm not really wanting to have to pay more. $540 ought to be as much as I have to spend.

Well i meant just for the software alone, not SS as well. Like right now instead of S3 Advanced you could buy lets say an S3 Commercial software. Seems to me with guys like you they should make an S3 Commercial or something along those line.

• Like 1

What boards are your using in the controllers you are building?  Renard?  Lynx?  You running DMX out of S3?

Running the Renard boards Was given some for free all i had to do was fix them. They all work now. I will be using the S3 Advanced software. Maybe next year i will get into RGB but it wont bemore then about 900 channels to start.

I would not mind seeing a fix for the visualizer as well for RGB. Right now i use an outside source that i can import from, but that outside source is limited. I still have to manually change all the channels.

We will be making some major enhancements to the software this year that will provide enhanced support for the higher pixel counts. I do not have specifics available but it will be a significant change. I will be able to provide more specifics in a couple weeks. 

I remember this sort of thing about new software going on two, three or maybe even four years, been so long I don't remember when(sorry my brain ain't as young as it used to be). Anyway I believe it was when we were waiting for S2 and we were told some time this year it would be out. Well I think it took a little over a year to come out. I know Dan said he would let us know more specifics in a couple of weeks but I hope it is not to just string us along. I love LOR, I found it in 2006 while I was doing some research to write my own software. Even if you can't tell us exactly what the changes are, please let us know if it is going to come out soon enough for us to be able to continue sequencing for this year.

HI all,

I am not at the large channel counts yet but I am running an I7 2.8GHZ Quad core processor with 16 gigs of RAM, and a terrabyte hard drive Which is what I sequence on, then transfer to the laptop.

I have decided on a redesign of the Lightorama computer. Right now I am using an IBM T61 Laptop that is old with an SSD drive in it... it really goes fast, but SSD Drives have a limited life right now. 

the redesign will be as follows:

Case: Small Tower case

Motherboard:  Dual Socket Motherboard... haven't decided on manufacturer yet.

Processors: 2 I7 3.4 ghz

RAM: 64 gig

Hard Drives: 3 10.0000RPM 500gig drives (these aint cheap!)

1 Hardware Raid card (for raid 5 Scenerio)

OS: Currently Testing LOR on a Windows 2008R2 Server, Software loaded, now to see if it will talk to the hardware, otherwise Windows 7 64 Bit.

The one reason that I mention this is that I work in the Desktop Engineering field and I see people who forget to defragment, or run a Malware Bytes Scan. I do know this from computer experience. Not 1 antivirus software catches everything. I have 2 antivirus running. Malware bytes finds things that Antivirus misses. Check Disk is also a good function to run once in a while. Keep the Drive healthy, and the system performs well.

The one thing I have also noticed with some of the laptops is that the drives in them are 5400 RPM. the faster 7200 rpm does make a performance difference without breaking the bank. :)

Just my 2 cents. :D

I have decided on a redesign of the Lightorama computer. Right now I am using an IBM T61 Laptop that is old with an SSD drive in it... it really goes fast, but SSD Drives have a limited life right now. 

OS: Currently Testing LOR on a Windows 2008R2 Server, Software loaded, now to see if it will talk to the hardware, otherwise Windows 7 64 Bit.

That sounds like an awesome machine, I would love to have that for my sequencing machine, But I am running an AMD dual core 2.4Ghz with 2GB ram for my show computer. Keep in mind I have 192 LOR A/C channels, 38 Digital output circuits as well as 6000 DMX channels. As a show computer it runs great with no problems. I only say that to help save some money on a show computer. If you are planning on that one to be your sequencing computer I love it But also plan on a powerful video card to handle the Visualizer processing.

We will be making some major enhancements to the software this year that will provide enhanced support for the higher pixel counts. I do not have specifics available but it will be a significant change. I will be able to provide more specifics in a couple weeks. 

I'm starting to configure my S3 and superstar sequencer right now  for a 24x50 pixel matrix.

1.) should I wait a few weeks do this?

2.) I just purchased my Superstar license (24 CCR)  it says it covers latest version 3.10.*

will the upgrades be available under my license?

Crazydave, of course you should configure and sequence now.  If the software needs such major modifications, there is no guarantee it will even be released this year.  On top of that, it will most likely have a bunch of bugs/tweaks that need to be done.

HI all,

I am not at the large channel counts yet but I am running an I7 2.8GHZ Quad core processor with 16 gigs of RAM, and a terrabyte hard drive Which is what I sequence on, then transfer to the laptop.

The one reason that I mention this is that I work in the Desktop Engineering field and I see people who forget to defragment, or run a Malware Bytes Scan. I do know this from computer experience. Not 1 antivirus software catches everything. I have 2 antivirus running. Malware bytes finds things that Antivirus misses. Check Disk is also a good function to run once in a while. Keep the Drive healthy, and the system performs well.

The one thing I have also noticed with some of the laptops is that the drives in them are 5400 RPM. the faster 7200 rpm does make a performance difference without breaking the bank. :)

Just my 2 cents. :D

Kip,  Waaaaaaay overkill for a show computer.  Even overkill for sequencing.  Graphics card would be a better investment than the hard drives for sequencing.  Duel monitor is great, I'd love to have a quad monitor setup.

Someone posted about lor being a hardware company first and the hardware sells the software. I agree to a point. It sounds as if you think the software is bad, it is not bad for what it was originally intended for. The software does a great job at sequencing ac channels.I have seen amazing programs folks like George Simmons have written with good old s3. I think the biggest issue is the pixel part of folks displays have exploded much faster than anyone thought. It's great that all you guys with huge channel counts want to hang around and see what improvments can be made,that says a lot about the software. I only will have 250 pixels this year,but once I get those worked out,I to will be looking into how much the software can be improved for pixels.