Light-O-Rama Forums

How are you guys getting your network cable outside?

Tigerdmd

Looking for some ideas on how to get my cables outside from my home office. Right now I'm just thinking about a junction box right through my wall. Any good examples?

Thanks. Pics would be great if you have them.

I don't have photos, especially as the outside is so well buried behind a shrub that I can barely get eyes on it. But at the fire house, we have a 6 inch square box surface mounted on the outside, glued to a 1.5 inch conduit through the brick and block. On the inside, one of the 6x6 metal access plates that opens with a quarter turn of a screwdriver. The outside box is deep enough that as long as we have drip loops on all the cables, we have not had any water intrusion even though all we do is take the lid off.

At home, I run a cable out the back wall of our room over the garage, through the tiny attic, and into the garage. Then during the season, the cable just runs out the door, and around to the front of the house. No need to worry about cable run lengths for most houses if you are using one of the USB adapters.

I drilled a 1/4" hole, put the CAT5 wire through it, added a little silicon sealant, and called it done. That was 6 years ago. The wire I found and picked up because it had a very thick casing... not sure it's actually outside rated but I check it every year and it's still not brittle.

I have conduit just about everywhere. Part of that is because I am using LOR for year round landscape lighting, so I have to make it "permanent" as opposed to a short term. Everything I ran for this past Christmas except the pixel tree and star was permanently installed. For the E1.31 for the tree and star I have a LAN jack just inside the attic so it takes about 20 feet of AC power cable and Cat-5 to the tree. Both come through 2 inch holes drilled through the wall that have a 6 inch stub of conduit that is capped for the off season.

I just run the network cables through the bottom of the window, then block it with soft foam. Works great.

I have an outdoor box with an in use cover outside with a pc of conduit running into the basement by my computer with a pigtail inside that plugs into the computer

Like George, i run the cables out the bottom of a window. I use a foam noodle from a swimming pool. Cut a groove on the top side for the window to slide into. Provides a nice cushion for the cables but keeps the elements outside.

I have my LOR computer out in the garage, that's the one I run my shows from. Cables are then run under the garage door to the controllers.

• Like 1

Similar to Larry, I run my cables from the garage to the display.  But my show computer is in basement, so I run cables from there to garage and use the box pictured to make connections when needed.  Works well.

post-10429-0-22546400-1390353470_thumb.j

I'm using the ELL's for the LOR network but now I have to figure out how to get the E1.31 line out there. Haven't decided the location for the pixel tree I'm fabricating yet so that makes the determination on how to do this. hmmm, have to wonder if there is a wireless option. I have an unused wireless access point. Can E1.31 be used over TCPIP wireless?

I have my LOR computer out in the garage, that's the one I run my shows from. Cables are then run under the garage door to the controllers.

same as Larry.. during the month of the show my laptop sits in the garage with a cable going under the garage door

• Like 1

Laptop is in the basement. Cat5 goes thru the sill into the garage so it's never in the weather. LOR boxes are on the wall in the garage. Wires to the lights go through a mail slot I installed next to the garage door. Had to label it "not for mail" cuz I kept getting junk mail in the garage.

• Like 1

Like George, i run the cables out the bottom of a window. I use a foam noodle from a swimming pool. Cut a groove on the top side for the window to slide into. Provides a nice cushion for the cables but keeps the elements outside.

You can also use the foam pipe insulation. It will create a nice seal if installed properly.

You can also use the foam pipe insulation. It will create a nice seal if installed properly.

Yep...i just happen to have a pool and several of those noodles not being used during the winter!

I'm using the ELL's for the LOR network but now I have to figure out how to get the E1.31 line out there. Haven't decided the location for the pixel tree I'm fabricating yet so that makes the determination on how to do this. hmmm, have to wonder if there is a wireless option. I have an unused wireless access point. Can E1.31 be used over TCPIP wireless?

Don't waste your time on wireless options I wasted 2 months of my life last year researching and there seems to be nothing that can keep up with the packets of info we send out to say a pixel tree.