Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 8

indi

I'm going out today to buy a new computer to run my LOR system. Wondering if I should move up to Windows 8 or stay with Windows 7. My laptop just doesn't cut it with the video card it has. Going to a desk top so I can get the video card that need. Has anybody have any problems with Windows 8?

Thanks

You'll be hard pressed to find Win 7. If you can find it....GET IT!  HATE Win 8. Even Win 8.1.  If you get Win 8, pin all of the LOR files. Otherwise you will have a hard time finding them quick.  I found one driver (not LOR) that I used with a usb to serial I used with a projector which gave me fits. Even after finding the right file (had to go backwards to get it), I had to work with it when Win 8 did a update. So advice, and honestly this is with Win7 or 8.... once you get your show going....don't do any updates ;-)  Good news for me... when Win9 comes out, they do away with the stinking tiles and gives me back my desktop!  Got to download Stardock for now :-)

You'll be hard pressed to find Win 7. If you can find it....GET IT!  HATE Win 8. Even Win 8.1.  If you get Win 8, pin all of the LOR files. Otherwise you will have a hard time finding them quick.  I found one driver (not LOR) that I used with a usb to serial I used with a projector which gave me fits. Even after finding the right file (had to go backwards to get it), I had to work with it when Win 8 did a update. So advice, and honestly this is with Win7 or 8.... once you get your show going....don't do any updates ;-)  Good news for me... when Win9 comes out, they do away with the stinking tiles and gives me back my desktop!  Got to download Stardock for now :-)

Ditto Windows 8 is best avoided it is simply hard work and frustrating

Well, got the new computer. It does have Windows 8 and I finally got the LOR software loaded. Good thing #1 son was here. He got it going. Anyway, tried a few sequences that I was having problems with, (they would freeze then start and skip). But in a G force 640 video card  and added 8 gigs to the ram before I even powered it up. Man, makes a big difference. Fast and smooth. Well take me awhile to learn the navigation of Windows.

Two or three months ago I got a new screaming-fast laptop with Windows 8.1.  I haven't used it to run the show (thankfully a back-up PC has never been needed for that) but as far as the SE and Vis are concerned, LOR performs flawlessly.

Re-establishing the desktop appearance wasn't an issue either.  Looks and feels just like my Windows 7 machines.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

Son also did the desktop thing. Hard time remembering to take to mouse to the upper right to shutdown. I elected to go the desktop route so I could change the graphics card. Yep Screamin with SE and Vis.

I must be sick in the head because What I am about to say, will probably get me admitted to the looney bin ( I request a padded Room). I have grown to like Windows 8. I know I said I hated it before. But I now Rank Windows Versions as the top 3   #1 Being winxp #2 Being Win98 and # 3 being Windows 8.  With the use of Start Menu 8 from IOBit, a few settings changed in the Registry for the sound settings and making the UI disappear, I gave it the look of a Mix Between Windows XP and Win 7. I am using the Default win xp background and sound effects and the Task Bar and Start Menu looks like Windows 7. I never use that stupid Metro thing.

Windows 98?  Surely you jest...  You must have just been checking to see if people really read your posts. ;)

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

Hey Windows 98 is a classic. Back on my old computer that had a 1.1 Ghz processor with a whopping 256 MB of Ram 64MB VGA card and a 20 GB HDD

I'll put a vote for 98SE. Also loved my XP. Still have 2000 running on one of my towers.  I am not a big fan of 8 though. Esp when I start to drag something from the right hand side of the touch pad and that dang tool bar on the right pops up and defeats the drag I was doing. Would just prefer it popping up from the top right corner with the cursor. Blah enough of this constant updating of Windows. Microsoft let us at least get used to this weeks flavor before changing everything around AGAIN!

Edited by Max-Paul

I tell ya though....

If your like me and I run into a problem, I will do a "search" on this forum and other forums. So if there is any newbie reading this... right before your season starts (be it Halloween or Christmas) and your computer is working fine...do not do any windows updates!  More times than not I have found it will cause you problems or some sort of driver changes. So, I always turn off auto updates on my show computers.

Start Menu 8 Makes that stupid toolbar on the right disappear permanently.

Edited by TitusCarnathan

I tell ya though....

If your like me and I run into a problem, I will do a "search" on this forum and other forums. So if there is any newbie reading this... right before your season starts (be it Halloween or Christmas) and your computer is working fine...do not do any windows updates!  More times than not I have found it will cause you problems or some sort of driver changes. So, I always turn off auto updates on my show computers.

Robert, I'll see your "turn off updates", and raise you "Turn off wireless network and remove the home network".

Robert, I'll see your "turn off updates", and raise you "Turn off wireless network and remove the home network".

Oh man how true how true!!!  I was using LOR and Sandevices unit in multicast. KILLED my network. Needless to say...cut the home network off from it. I have heard that I should run it in unicast. Will try that next year.