Light-O-Rama Forums

looking to dip into the Halloween world

rednosetbird

Hello all, I am looking to start up a Halloween display this year or maybe next. I saw a video on the LOR website where some one sequenced fire shooting out of pumpkins! GAME ON AM ALL IN! After seeing that I have been trying to fine out on "HOW to" I have been a bit lost with starting this process , any help would be appreciated. There are some many gas valves and sent a email to LOR and not sure what to get. Thanks in advance, Bill

for prop building there are a couple of message boards out there that can help with that, Spirit Halloween is the best site for other items like lights, etc. if you incorporate fog the use froggy fog fluid, I have used three or four different types including what the manufacturer recommends with this stuff being the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Alas.. past Halloween exploits have been epic..  High power Lasers, Fog, flying ghosts, special effects, lightning, Wiggle lights, Kilowatt sound systems, effects projectors, strobes, costumes, generators, street closures, news crews... THOUSANDS of people for the 3 hours we were live...

but where I live now, there are ZERO kids that Trick or Treat.. too far out to attract them...   I do miss it..  :( 

If you are ALL IN.. then go for it big time!   Pictures and videos are required or it didn't happen!  :P

• Like 1

Alas.. past Halloween exploits have been epic..  High power Lasers, Fog, flying ghosts, special effects, lightning, Wiggle lights, Kilowatt sound systems, effects projectors, strobes, costumes, generators, street closures, news crews... THOUSANDS of people for the 3 hours we were live...

but where I live now, there are ZERO kids that Trick or Treat.. too far out to attract them...   I do miss it..  :(

If you are ALL IN.. then go for it big time!   Pictures and videos are required or it didn't happen!  :P

You can come to my house and set it up. We have lots of trick or treaters.

You can come to my house and set it up. We have lots of trick or treaters.

aaahhh.. no!   LOL!   You are just a bit far away.. :P

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I did last year. we had about 45 Pounds of candy and ran out by 8:30PM and still had Kids coming. The Video is not my best but we have alot of things going on and it changes from spooky to Videos in the window, Lights with Music,Lasers,Fog on the ground and on the house.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I did last year. we had about 45 Pounds of candy and ran out by 8:30PM and still had Kids coming. The Video is not my best but we have alot of things going on and it changes from spooky to Videos in the window, Lights with Music,Lasers,Fog on the ground and on the house.

What type of flashing lights were you using with the upside-down hanger?  I've looked at strobes before and found it's not as simple as it seems.

dkoehler

I'm not positive what your mean by the upside-down hangers. but if you talking about the lights on the garage above the skeletons. Those are RGB LED lights being controlled by a single DMX controller for each set. about 90% of the light I used last year are 12V RGB Modules. including the strobe lights I made them out of some heligen light housings for Lowes.  if your looking for type of lighting you can check out.

www.creativelightingdisplays.com

This is where I picked up the lights and DMX controllers from and I also picked up some relay boxes to control my fog with the LOR 120ac controllers. worked out very nice. This year I'm making some changes to my power and DMX cables last year I had problems with the rain getting into the  cat5 3-way splitters even when I covered them with plastic and duct tap. Mostly on the roof and planter beds and some spots on the yard. My own fault I didn't use water proof connections for them but I have made that change for this year. But most of my electronics are in the pillers in the grave yard so the weather has no affect.

Sorry, I meant the dude hanging out at 4:05.

I've never been into DMX, is it rough to learn and on the wallet?

dkoehler

OK, now it makes since.  the white flash is a 120 vac strobe light that I picked up for under $20 at Kmart. It also has thunder sound with it but I don't use that part of the strobe. As for the red one that is a RGB DMX spot I made. and the blue color is actually a black light I have hanging on the grave yard fence.  As for dmx it can get $$$ at first but you just add a small amount each year and its not that bad. All my Halloween and Xmas displays all started out as Ac props. I've almost have switch Halloween to 12 vdc with DMX for most of the lights and some props. As for X-mas I'm starting the conversion this year for that.

Where is a good set of documentation for DMX?  I would need to start from the beginning.  Is the white VAC strobe on DMX or standard AC/LOR?

WOW HallowXmas, great job I am very impressed. I am going to do my first halloween display this year and want to incorporate some of theose gravestones with floods. I will probably not make anything too scarry though. Thanks for sharing. If you have any suggestions for a newby in the Halloween show please contact me. Kalefortsch@comcast.net

• 3 weeks later...

Where is a good set of documentation for DMX?  I would need to start from the beginning.  Is the white VAC strobe on DMX or standard AC/LOR?

The White strobe is a standard plug in the wall type.and it is connected to a 16 channel LOR controler.  but with the DMX spot lights I can do the same affect but with any color i like. I just through that in last year to save me some time on programing it in.  I WAS being lazy :) 

Edited by HallowXmas