Light-O-Rama Forums

"Newbie" with a big show -- Lessons learned

eurbani

2012 was my first Christmas, I had 186 channels and two RGB spots

2013 was my second Christmas, I had 304 AC channels, 3 CCRs and 2  RGBW spots and 16 RGB pixels.

At the end of 2012, I neatly wrapped all of my extension cord bundles, but only half were properly labeled.

Lesson learned -- Label your cords at both ends!

People here constantly tell you that you must start early.  In 2012, I had 90% of my show the way that I wanted it on opening day with just a month preparation.  In 2013, I was scrambling to have half of my show up by opening night and the last light wasn't hung until Christmas Eve AND some of the elements that I wanted didn't make it into the show and I was only able to add one new song.

Lesson learned -- Set your plan and start working on the elements and sequencing early!

This year was wetter than last.  I tripped the GFCI many times. While I had most of my "dangles" pointing down, repositioning some extension cords could have minimized this.

Lesson learned -- Keep cords off the ground and pointed down when possible.

Cat5 and RJ45 connectors is not a good way to transmit 5VDC WS2811 pixels data and power.  The RJ45 connectors oxidize and connections fail.

Lesson learned -- Cheap isn't always best.

Sequencing gets easier over time, but I always am learning great short-cuts.

Lesson learned -- Use EVERY tool in the sequencing editor and after you have sequenced a bit, use them all again.

Cat 5 cables can and do go bad.  Also, cat 5 crimpers go bad.

Lesson learned -- Test your cables and crimper!

My FM transmitter broke.

Lesson learned --  FM transmitters are important, have a spare.
Lesson learned -- know your local LOR enthusiasts, most are very willing to help out and/or loan you something if you are in a pinch.

• Like 1

Good tips, each and every one.

I can't even imagine the panic of a transmitter going down and not having a replacement.

• Like 1

A lesson I learned dont buy controllers off ebay. The prices are way too high

That is one lesson that I didn't learn the hard way. 

Lesson learned -- sell things on ebay to get the best price.  Buy things from LOR during sales to get the best price.

I can understand why non-LOR users might overpay on EBray - I'm sure they're just too lazy to do any research (like looking at the LOR website) and in a way I guess it serves them right.

But LOR users buying there - doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't really have anything to edit but just having the freedom to do so again makes me want to edit every post I make between now and April to make up for looking like a spelling/proofreading moron for the past two months.  I wonder what someone from the outside thinks as they scanned through the forum:  "Boy, those lighting freaks are sure stupid - look at all the typos... maybe they should learn how to spell before they try to tackle something complicated like lighting controllers..."

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 3

I can understand why non-LOR users might overpay on EBray - I'm sure they're just too lazy to do any research (like looking at the LOR website) and in a way I guess it serves them right.

But LOR users buying there - doesn't make any sense at all.

You can always buy controllers from Dexter W. for a bargain! 

James,

Have I ever ripped you off? You seem awfully angry. My 100% eBay rating indicates that my customers are quite happy.

If your issue is with capitalism (buying things and then selling for a profit), I'd suggest staying out of the greatest country in the world.

As I have stated before, it is impossible to rip someone off on eBay. The buyer sets the price, not the seller.

I have seen so much generosity around here hate seeing the reverse. You can indeed set the price on ebay with the buy it now option maybe you should try it

In the end it's the buyers fault that they pay more because they have not taken the time to properly educate themselves, just like George said. So it's nothing to get upset about.

There are smart shoppers, there are "dumb" shoppers (forgive me). It shouldn't be a surprise that people like to take advantage of the "dumb" side to make extra cash. If you've ever bought something in an open public market to resell for a profit, your basically doing the same thing. I always see that smartphones sell more on eBay, than they cost new at the store. It's ridiculous.

• Like 2

I have seen so much generosity around here hate seeing the reverse. You can indeed set the price on ebay with the buy it now option maybe you should try it

Is this really much different than the "generous" people around here knowing the tricks and trades of the first sale wiping everything out before other people can get what they want? Half of which probably ends up on Ebay over full retail anyway. No different than a Christmas light version of StubHub.

Edited by robigd

Is this really much different than the "generous" people around here knowing the tricks and trades of the first sale wiping everything out before other people can get what they want? Half of which probably ends up on Ebay over full retail anyway. No different than a Christmas light version of StubHub.

Errr ummm I think you have insulted a lot of people!

I have gotten what I wanted at these sales and nothing has gone on Ebay.

• Like 2

Errr ummm I think you have insulted a lot of people!

I have gotten what I wanted at these sales and nothing has gone on Ebay.

It wasn't aimed at any individuals as an insult, but more of a comment that it does happen.

A lesson I learned dont buy controllers off ebay. The prices are way too high

Holy Thread Hijack Batman!  

There must be some personal history here, because I don't see why someone would turn this obviously well-intended post into a negative rant about ebay.  I see this kinda junk here all of the time.  Someone posts something nice to help out the newbies and then someone comes in and leaves all us new guys scratching their heads.

My suggestion is, if it doesn't relate to the post, start a new thread.  If you have a beef with the original poster, contact him and try to work it out.  What about the Christmas spirit guys?   Isn't that what this is about?  Geesh!

• Like 1

I need help on lesson learned. How do you keep cat5 connector from oxidizing. If everybody use them there must be a way to stop it. Does the spray that holiday coro use to sell work? Dmx waterproof connection ? I guess that these cat5 plugs are like the led leg that fall off half way through Christmas.

I need help on lesson learned. How do you keep cat5 connector from oxidizing. If everybody use them there must be a way to stop it. Does the spray that holiday coro use to sell work? Dmx waterproof connection ? I guess that these cat5 plugs are like the led leg that fall off half way through Christmas.

That was my issue with trying to use them for pixels.  So, I will use some other kind of connector.  Still researching.  I haven't had any cat5 connectors oxidize in my LOR network.  I make cat5 cords long enough to extend from controller to controller.  So, every connection is in a controller.

Holy Thread Hijack Batman!  

There must be some personal history here, because I don't see why someone would turn this obviously well-intended post into a negative rant about ebay.  I see this kinda junk here all of the time.  Someone posts something nice to help out the newbies and then someone comes in and leaves all us new guys scratching their heads.

My suggestion is, if it doesn't relate to the post, start a new thread.  If you have a beef with the original poster, contact him and try to work it out.  What about the Christmas spirit guys?   Isn't that what this is about?  Geesh!

Don't let it get you down.  Read the good stuff.  You will learn soon enough who to ignore.