Light-O-Rama Forums

Silliest / Most Annoying Questions / Comments You Got This Year

Randytenn

Our first year, after the display was going for approx 2 weeks I get a phone call from my neighbor,,,,,,In sort of an panic voice he says:

"Gene" I don't know how to tell you this but you better go downstairs and shut of your outside breakers........Something is drastically wrong with your Christmas lights there flashing like crazy.    BTW..... I not only have 1 but 2 tune to signs and he saw them about 5 times a day as he drives by.

• Like 1

Our first year, after the display was going for approx 2 weeks I get a phone call from my neighbor,,,,,,In sort of an panic voice he says:

"Gene" I don't know how to tell you this but you better go downstairs and shut of your outside breakers........Something is drastically wrong with your Christmas lights there flashing like crazy.    BTW..... I not only have 1 but 2 tune to signs and he saw them about 5 times a day as he drives by.

Neighbor trolling level:  Master

I have the Santa projected on one of my windows...A woman with a van full of children asks me how I do it. I tell he to drop her children off at home and I'll tell her, and she says to me that they come by every night so the kids can see Santa, (being stupid me i continued) so I told her i wouldn't ruin it. And she says to me I wasn't going to steal you idea or anything.

them: Where do you buy the songs? me: Itunes, CDs, Amazon. them: They sell these light things on Itunes? me: No I buy the music, I program it and make the lights turn on and off, fade in and out as i want to. them: well how long does it take? me: couple of hours per song. them: That's a lot of time, why do you do it? me:...........

• Like 2

I get asked how much the electric bill is, how do i get the radio station to run with my lights that must cost a lot. I have the virtual santa and one person asked if I was the one in the window every night.

Yeah - the virtual Santa is great... People dancing on the street waving and hoping Santa would react... And most of them 40+....he will certainly be back next year...

Now I just need a "virtual elf on the shelf"...

Here's an idea: Get a small camera pointing at the crowd area and feed it to a switch near the video projector.

At the appropriate moment, switch the projector to the live camera feed and people will see themselves, but only for a few seconds. Keeps interest.

• Like 1

get all the same, cost, how long to set up, radio, electric bill......

came up with new answer this year to 'how do you make the lights do that?' i started saying that i have people in the garage turning switches on and off. usually get a laugh, then i'll say its done with computers, get a few blank stares

The frequency I used for my display was/is very close to a local Dallas station that plays Christmas music from mid-November through Christmas.

I was asked once, "How did you get the radio station to play the music you need?" Except they used the station call letters when asking the question. They really thought I had the radio station playing music just for my display.

I have had a couple of people ask me that!

Not annoying though...

I had a women ask, "So, do the lights flash different for each song?" You mean I could have done one sequence and just pasted it on all my songs? What a time saver that would have been.

get all the same, cost, how long to set up, radio, electric bill......

came up with new answer this year to 'how do you make the lights do that?' i started saying that i have people in the garage turning switches on and off. usually get a laugh, then i'll say its done with computers, get a few blank stares

I've learned over the years that when children ask "How do you make the lights do that?" the reply that gets the biggest smiles is to tell them "Santa loaned me some elves and they are in the garage turning the lights on and off."

• Like 2

My question was "is it easy?"  I love to tell them how LONG it takes to program a song and watch their jaw drop. Looks kind of like this  :o  :blink:

• Like 1

love it!!! going use that one too

I've learned over the years that when children ask "How do you make the lights do that?" the reply that gets the biggest smiles is to tell them "Santa loaned me some elves and they are in the garage turning the lights on and off."

yeah for the kids, but i like watching peoples reaction when i tell them how long it really takes to seq a song

This past year around mid October we were putting the lights on the 2nd story of the house and someone was driving by and stopped, they were like "putting up Christmas light?", my brothers comment was "nope, getting ready for 4th of July early" lol

Wait for it…

Wait   for   it   …

AND…

Here's your sign!

:lol:

• Like 1

Pretty much the same;

1. The electric bill question
  2. How much does it cost?
  3. How long does it take to put this up?
  4. How did you get that radio station to play your songs?
  5. Where to you store all that stuff?
  6. How dows the neighborhood react.

• 5 weeks later...

I was asked what does Queen Bohemian Rhapsody have to do with Christmas. I replied....EVERYTHING!!!!

YouTube "Colley Christmas 2013".....done with PLC. Converting to LOR this year!

2014 will be my first year for an LOR display.  A guy a couple miles from me has a pretty good display up and he was handing out candy canes in front of his house to the crowd.  When I had a chance to talk to him, my first question was:

"How many channels are you running and how long does it take you to sequence that?"

I was instantly his best friend.

(turns out he had 171 channels and took 10 hours per minute of song)

And then I asked all the stupid questions listed above.  He was happy to discuss knowing what I was about to get myself into.