Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving yoke patterns and LOR

WayneKremer

Hey guys (and gals),

After messing around some with a Q-Spot 575 and iDMX1000 controller, I was wondering how most everyone sequences LOR to follow any patterns...and how you do it. I got it to do 'X' and back-forth patterns without problem. A figure eight is tricky and I'm trying to figure out how to do it. Do you plot multiple points around a figure eight? When ramping from one coordinate to another, do you overlap the ramps to prevent the yoke from pausing?

I found that LOR I doesn't do the best job at slow movements since it is jumping DMX values so widely. On top of that, once you place an intensity down, I haven't found a way to determine what the intensity is specifically set at in the timeline, so matching ramp ups to ramp downs is a pain. It makes it to where you pretty much must move it quickly or you will see the yoke moving erraticly. I believe LOR II would resolve that problem since it will allow 255 DMX values instead of intensity.

Anyone else out there sequencing moving yokes and have experiences to share? Thx!

Wayne

WayneKremer wrote:

On top of that, once you place an intensity down, I haven't found a way to determine what the intensity is specifically set at in the timeline, so matching ramp ups to ramp downs is a pain.

I'm not a DMX user, so this is the only portion of your question I can answer.

Select any cell, then do a View->Cell Info. It will show you the current intensity setting or fade range.

Feature request -- I'd really like this info to be in the tooltip (the yellow text that pops up when you hover over a cell long enough), or at least to have the Cell Info as a right-click menu option.

-Tim

G'day Wayne,

I've got a DMX moving yoke and having lots of fun trying to get it to do fancy stuff as well. So far I've managed to spend a lot of time playing... and have decided that for this year I'm going to stick with some relatively simple pan / tilt movements. I'll try to get a bit more adventurous if time permits during the season.

I also have 6 RGB DMX spotlights and a DMX snow machine which are working well and have been straight forward to program. I've decided to give my other DMX Gobo and DMX Laser a miss for this year due to time constraints.

Tell me, do you use your system with the MP3 Show Director and if yes, do / can you perform the Lock Step process before writing your SD card? I found that if I try to do a Lock Step then it screws up the output of my DMX spotlights and they behave very strangely. If I bypass the Lock Step everything works great.

Cheers,

davidt - Australia

Davidt,

Sorry...not using the MP3 Show Director, so I couldn't give you any insight with that.

As for the patterns, I have just been experimenting with different ramps for the pans/tilts until I get something worthwhile. I'm sure there is a better science to it....but, for now....

Wayne

Thanks William,

Previously I just did the Lock Step as it said that it was recommended. I hadn't seen any difference myself using it but did it anyway. Now I just won't worry about it.

Thanks,

davidt - Australia

I setup the device outside and recorded the information for DMX locations (Left High, Left Low, Right High, Right Low, and Light Flurries) I can't seem to really get the scanner to move from point to point (say left high to right low). Should I be using a dim to move the head or just use set intensities? I've got the basics down but want to do the swoosh like MikeZ.

Greg

LightsByGreg wrote:

I setup the device outside and recorded the information for DMX locations (Left High, Left Low, Right High, Right Low, and Light Flurries) I can't seem to really get the scanner to move from point to point (say left high to right low). Should I be using a dim to move the head or just use set intensities? I've got the basics down but want to do the swoosh like MikeZ.

Greg

Some devices have a setting to adjust the speed at which things move. If that doesn't work then you can use a fade from the start intensity to the end itensity. It will slowly (depending on the length of the fade) move through intensities.

LightsByGreg wrote:

Greg

Some devices have a setting to adjust the speed at which things move. If that doesn't work then you can use a fade from the start intensity to the end itensity. It will slowly (depending on the length of the fade) move through intensities.

• The topic was locked