Light-O-Rama Forums

The Wedding Proposal

craigh

Last night we had a special event at our light show, a young man proposed to his girl friend. I thought I would share the story - 

In the first part of November a young man (in his early 20's) and his dad had stopped by the house, the young man asked me if a did special requests, which I don't, just way to much work to have someone make special requests. I started to think he wanted a song added to my show, so I explained to him how the show worked and how long it would take to do a special song.

We talked some more about the show, and he then asked me if I ever had anyone do a proposal in front of the lights and if it would be alright he did just that, I was a bit surprised by that request, thinking that there certainly could some other more romatic place to propose. We have had kids stop by for the "girls reverse dance" night - they come in their fancy suits and dresses and watch the lights, but a proposal, this was going to be different. Ryan and his girlfriend had been by the house last year, I was out handing out candy canes and he remembered talking to me back then - he still has the candy cane! As we talked some more he asked if I could end the show early one night then play their favorite song and set the lights to that song. I must have been caught up in the moment or surprised as I agreed to do it. At first I said that I would just turn all the lights on in one color and then to have her name displayed on my RGB tree followed by the words "will you marry me". This would all be easy enough to put together with the time he had given me.

When I had finished the song I asked him to come by to see if it was what he was expecting, as luck would have it I had problems that night and couldn't even get the RGB tree to work!! I was in a panic as the tree was not working for my regular show either, two hours later the problem was fixed.

As the actual day arrived I decided to do a little more with their song - I ended up doing a lot more sequencing on the song hoping to make it even better for them. So everything was set, their song would start at end of my regular show, I was a bit nervous, hoping that everything would go well and not ruin their special moment. The show started and somehow he talked her into coming up by the lights, the tree displayed the text, he got on one knee and proposed, she cried, and I think she said yes!

Then his family and friends came around from the side the house with balloons, more laughing, crying and hugging. Then the group released the balloons.

It was a nice experience and I feel honored that Ryan would let me share in that experience with him.

Craig

• Like 5

That's awesome.  I had a proposal occur in my backyard last year but we didn't know about it till after it happened and they came around front and announced it to us.

A proposal gives one a very special feeling.

Like Brian, I had one last year in front of the lights, but I did not find out until the following night when they returned with her parents to see the lights. 

I really felt honored.

That's awesome! What a great story! Too bad you didn't catch it on video? I love it when people make your display part of their christmas!!

George, What's the tagline in your signature all about???

Cheers
Evan

Actually they did get it on video. Ryan arranged for a guy to come out and pretend like he was just recording the lights, then guy moved up with them

and recording the actual was proposal.

I am suppose to get a copy of all that. I don't think the video guy actually caught the text on the RGB tree. 

I attempted to record the whole song thing tonight, had several cars drive through while I was recording so I'll have to see how well that turns out!

Craig

Well that's still a really cool thing for you to accommodate and have in your display. Something they will treasure for years!!!

• 2 weeks later...

This must have been the year for that. I had a nearly identical experience, with a nearly identical reaction from me. No video from them, but I video'd the sequence. I wasn't there when it ran, as I was out of town (Christmas Eve), but he kept in touch and let me know it all went well. I'll post the video sometime to share.

The flood lights are seasonal entertainment's rainbow spotlights, they are having a sale right now, here is the link:

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/rgb-lighting-products/67-rainbow-spotlight-assembled-w-enclosure.html

All my lights are LED's, the mega tree is RGB lights from Ray Wu controlled by J1Sys ECG-P12S controllers.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

Craig

The flood lights are seasonal entertainment's rainbow spotlights, they are having a sale right now, here is the link:

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/rgb-lighting-products/67-rainbow-spotlight-assembled-w-enclosure.html

All my lights are LED's, the mega tree is RGB lights from Ray Wu controlled by J1Sys ECG-P12S controllers.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!

Craig

Did you mount them in the eaves or on the ground? And about how far apart? Sorry for all the questions!

questions are not a problem...

The spots are mounted on the ground, made my own spikes that the lights are attached to. They are 5' from the house and about 10' apart.

There are 2 spots on the garage door section, and then the other sections each have 3 spots each.

They are controlled with DC controllers from LOR, each spot uses 3 channels - one for red, one for green, and one for blue. Turning on all 3 channels

will make white. This allows me to turn on each spot individually.

• Like 1

questions are not a problem...

The spots are mounted on the ground, made my own spikes that the lights are attached to. They are 5' from the house and about 10' apart.

There are 2 spots on the garage door section, and then the other sections each have 3 spots each.

They are controlled with DC controllers from LOR, each spot uses 3 channels - one for red, one for green, and one for blue. Turning on all 3 channels

will make white. This allows me to turn on each spot individually.

when you say each spot uses 3 channels... would that mean your garage uses 6 channels? 3 ch for each spot right? I havent used spots before or seen them in person, so  with one spot light it has 3 seperate connections,  you would plug one into ch1, the next into ch2 and the same for ch 3?

I looked on the link you provided, so i didnt have to ask what seems like a dumb question but i couldnt determine it from there.

Thanks for your feed back

when you say each spot uses 3 channels... would that mean your garage uses 6 channels? 3 ch for each spot right? I havent used spots before or seen them in person, so  with one spot light it has 3 seperate connections,  you would plug one into ch1, the next into ch2 and the same for ch 3?

I looked on the link you provided, so i didnt have to ask what seems like a dumb question but i couldnt determine it from there.

Thanks for your feed back

In my case - yes the garage section uses 6 channels. It takes 3 DC controllers for all my spots. I connect each spot to its own set of channels, this allows me to control each spot individually. You could connect all the spots in one section to the same channels - all the red leads from all the spots in one section to the same channel, then the green to another channel and blue to its own channel. I like to have the option to turn each spot on individually in any color, it gives me more options, for example - starting at one end of the house turning on one spot in blue then chase that across the entire house; or you could alternate colors - one spot red, then the next one green, then the next one blue. Also note that when you turn on each spot in a different color where they overlap on the house actually becomes another color.

These spots can also be used on bushes, trees, plywood cutouts, or other items in your yard, doing up lighting, just like landscape lighting, but mixing colors on these items.

Craig

Edited by craigh

• The topic was locked