Light-O-Rama Forums

new ideas for 2014? what would you do?

bhunt240

hey guys i know its early and i know everyone is busy but im trying to configure next years setup, this year was my first year and 32ch next year i know will be 112+ channels 

Roof gutter and outlining roof ridge in red/green/blue retro fit led  C9's

4 - Windows and front door outlined in red/green/blue led C6's

4 - 7ch fire sticks in cool white led m5's (possibly running 2 sticks together to save on channels?)

4 - 7ch leaping arches in purple led C6's (wife wanted something purple in the display)

7 - 24" mini trees in cool white led m5's

100+ strobes on 1ch

7 - snowflakes for the roof led (if i can find a decent deal after Christmas or make some)

2 - 8' tall 12ch candy cane spinners (wired together but reversed to spin in opposite directions)

any other ideas?? i have been tossing around the idea of doing a 25'+ mega tree on the far left of my front yard but it may be too much for this small of a yard... ill attach some pictures also keep in mind we have no landscaping or bushes this year and will next year across the front

thanks for any and all help just trying to think of some cool new ideas

20131111_111421.jpg

20131216_175115.jpg

You have a nice slope and view of your roof.  Maybe some large snowflakes on the roof.  Those candy cane spinners would even look good up there with snowflakes on the front of the house.

yessir my thoughts as well as i said above in the 2014 list of must haves if i can snag up some BIG snow flakes on sale id like to have 7 offset on the roof, and funny you say that the spinners were built to go there and all the ice and snow prevented me from mounting them so i attached long steaks to them pounded into the ground with 2 guy wires

also thought about a big merry christmas sign up there

I skimmed the text.  I was dreaming of the roof and what it would look like.  Where I live snow could cover anything laying flat on the roof.

Im thinking do the 7 snow flakes across the roof in a zig zag pattern and ill also have the roof ridge outlined next year to draw your eye higher as well and then start planning the mega tree id love to do a 25-30' but id have to have a pretty big base and at that height id eat up 32-64 channels alone on the tree easily

My display has been at my dads for many years, this coming year it will be moving to my house. I have a very tiny yard but plan on using my 15 foot mega tree in it. It's kind of a hybrid, 8 channels verticle in red at 180 degrees, 8 channels of green horizontal, and 16 channels

White in a spiral on top. Here's a video

Not the best of quality sequence or video lol. But just an idea

You've got a great roof to work with, I suggest this....http://www.hammacher.com/Product/83866?promo=search

It'd be easy to mount, just build a 2x4 frame that you could zip tie the loops for the ground stakes to, then get a couple floodlights pointing up at it. I have one similar but I have a 1.5 story roof I have to mount it on. Next year I want to figure out  how to connect servos and get his head moving to the music, a 15ft reindeer on top of the roof would be awesome!

Well I just bought a bunch of blue led snowflakes for the roof, hopefully that will look good caught them onsale at Menards

I skimmed the text.  I was dreaming of the roof and what it would look like.  Where I live snow could cover anything laying flat on the roof.

You can build a frame out of pvc to get them off the roof so they aren't laying flat. That way snow wont cover them right away.  and weight them down with sand bags so you won hurt your shingles.

1983ss45,

Love your carousel. I was thinking of the Ferris Wheel, but that sucker is some 8' tall. At this time, I have no where to store it. So, I am going with the teeter totter from same company. To bhunt, I think that I dont have enough for the younger ones. So, I am going to add Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer this year. Been to much of the Christmas rock sound and nothing for the kids. So, I think the teeter tot will help give the kids something to look at, esp cause it moves. Just like what 1983 did in his display. Flashing lights aint enough. I am kind of slow picking up on this.

1983ss45,

Love your carousel. I was thinking of the Ferris Wheel, but that sucker is some 8' tall. At this time, I have no where to store it. So, I am going with the teeter totter from same company. To bhunt, I think that I dont have enough for the younger ones. So, I am going to add Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer this year. Been to much of the Christmas rock sound and nothing for the kids. So, I think the teeter tot will help give the kids something to look at, esp cause it moves. Just like what 1983 did in his display. Flashing lights aint enough. I am kind of slow picking up on this.[/quote

Thanks Max,

We ran a static, motorized display for 25 years before getting into computer controlled and I have to say the young kids still love the motorized cutouts more then anything. They did like the singing Christmas tree on the house thou.

th_11351757-018A-4E78-86AB-17A4B745C0EB_

3D99B942-6D39-4E72-80E2-9448B3A49146_zps

That's my 13 month old riding on my carousel. I used to ride on it as a small child, we restored it a few years ago. Sorry for the high jack, just showing what I do for the small kids

1833ss454

I suppose I was and am focusing on anything motorized. So a belated, love the whole display. LOL I am sorry. Told the wife I also love the snow ball juggling snowman too. One of these years I will also need to add singing faces. A man and a woman for a few of the songs I do. Good to hear that the young like the singing faces and will keep that in mind. But I am thinking motorized for 2014 and maybe 2015.. Thanks for the info.

I too am sorry about the hi-jacking. but hope that our discussion helps the OP.

hey guys i know its early and i know everyone is busy but im trying to configure next years setup, this year was my first year and 32ch next year i know will be 112+ channels 

Roof gutter and outlining roof ridge in red/green/blue retro fit led  C9's

4 - Windows and front door outlined in red/green/blue led C6's

4 - 7ch fire sticks in cool white led m5's (possibly running 2 sticks together to save on channels?)

4 - 7ch leaping arches in purple led C6's (wife wanted something purple in the display)

7 - 24" mini trees in cool white led m5's

100+ strobes on 1ch

7 - snowflakes for the roof led (if i can find a decent deal after Christmas or make some)

2 - 8' tall 12ch candy cane spinners (wired together but reversed to spin in opposite directions)

any other ideas?? i have been tossing around the idea of doing a 25'+ mega tree on the far left of my front yard but it may be too much for this small of a yard... ill attach some pictures also keep in mind we have no landscaping or bushes this year and will next year across the front

thanks for any and all help just trying to think of some cool new ideas

20131111_111421.jpg

20131216_175115.jpg

I would put 3 arches on the top of the roof and (2) 9' spiral trees on the right anf left side of the house

these topics that i found in the search on the forums is where i came up with my ideas

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/14437-new-twist-on-candy-cane-spinners-idea/?hl=%20candy%20%20cane%20%20spinner

post number 52 and 53  his facebooke link is where i got my idea from 

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/18895-pinwheel-test/page-2