Light-O-Rama Forums

Unattended Restart of LOR - Is it Possible?

jim6918

I am having a problem with the show laptop freezing for no apparent reason.  There is nothing in the event viewer logs pointing to anything obvious.  All updates are turned off, no AV software running, disconnected from the Internet, etc.  It is a barebones Win 7 laptop with just LOR installed.  Only remedy is a hard reboot, which I hate to do.  I have been having to do that every couple of days.

The issue is that I will be leaving town for 5 days over Christmas and really can't imagine the laptop freezing during that time.  I will be 3 hours away and not able to run home to reboot the laptop.  The show will be hung up for 5 days over the most important week of the season.

I have scheduled a shutdown/ restart task in the Task Scheduler every day at 1 PM and want to have the LOR Control Panel auto-start at the restart.

I have three days to figure and test this out before I am in trouble.

I know how to run a program automatically on restart, but for the life of me can't figure out which Application in the LOR program files to copy to the Startup Folder.  There is no Application called LOR Control Panel.  What am I not seeing correctly?

I have never replied to my own post this way but...

I have figured out how to start the Control Panel automatically on restart, but of course that doesn't "Enable" the Schedule.

Suggestions? 

I almost home free if I can figure this out.

Run chkdsk as well. Right click on the C: drive, go to properties and tools (I think) and check the drive for errors. It won't actually check until you reboot. If your drive is throwing bad sectors, it will probably continue to do so until it's dead though.

I have done all the above diagnostics within the past week.  No disc errors,  100% defraged.

I can't tell for sure but feel the freezing is related to a Windows Update done prior to show turn on at Thanksgiving.  I would do a restore point but am afraid that might cause more problems at this point. 

I think I have a startup solution but won't know until after the Scheduled Task shutdown/restart happens at 1 PM today.

Sure wish there was some smartphone app that will let you know if things are hung up.  Not sure how that would help me being so far away, and actually maybe ignorance is bliss.

If you haven't done so already you should probably disable standby / power save options on the laptop. I'm pretty sure that was causing issues with the USB485 locking up the program a couple years ago. In that case disconnecting the USB485 and plugging it back in typically resolved the issue after it happened.

I have a similar problem with a XP system (Dell XPS tower) and LOR freezing during a show. It has now happened three times in the past three weeks. Nothing in the error logs to trace any problem. It is generally occurs at the end of a musical show series (1/2 hour) when the schedule would transition to an annimation sequence. The program halts with a screen error messgae that requires a key press to "OK" the message. Once pressing the OK - LOR does automatically restart and resumes the schedule.

No problem with the system, no problem with disk fragmentation, updates, virus checking, etc - just unexplained and so far untraceable halts.  I am trying to clearly identify any condition that would help LOR to identify/resolve this behavior, but nothign at yet. I have reported it to support with all the information I can provide.

It was not something that happened last year (same computer), however I have also running a 12 CCR tree this year on a dedicated highspeed network (Aux A) in addition to last years network, plus I am on the current S3 software.

I really hate these phantom issues.  This is the same computer as last year.  No new hardware, software, no hibernation or screen saver.  Just a few Windows updates and the S3 update.  I wouldn't even mind if I were not going to be 180 miles away from home and unable to reboot if needed.

The scheduled reboot and auto start of the LOR Control Panel worked like clock work yesterday.  Now I will see what happens for the next couple of days to see if that's a temporary fix.