Light-O-Rama Forums

My show hesitates and there are delays between sequences

mark obermiller

I am running ver. 3.10.12.  My computer is a custom built desktop running an i7 processor @ 3.4 ghz with 16 gig of ram.  When the show is running I may be using 3% of the processor. I am running win 7 professional.

I have around 550 channels on LOR controllers on 4 separate networks.

I also have 9000 channels of pixels using Sans 682 and 6804 controllers on the E 1.31 network.

My show runs 23 1/2 hours a day.  I run 5 different shows a day so LOR only shuts down for around 30 minutes.

I get hesitation of my sequences at times.  The music continues to play but the lights just freeze and then catch up with the music.  I sometimes get long delays between sequences.  The log shows that the sequence fails to load.  After around 30 seconds the sequences loads and starts.  This happens on different sequences throughout the night with no set pattern.  My audio is all wav format.

The show is broadcast online and can be viewed at http://cityofcharlestown.com/parks/annual-events/christmas-in-charlestown/2013-christmas-light-show-on-the-square/  There is a DVR so you should be able to view the show at any time.  The show is live from 6pm - 12am eastern.  Please watch the show to see what I'm talking about.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is your computer busy with something else?

Like checking for software updates or virus scanning or defragging?

Is your computer busy with something else?

Like checking for software updates or virus scanning or defragging?

Not that I'm aware of.  I have checked and have not found anything obvious. 

Try disconnecting the internet completely and disable the AV protection. Check to see if the hesitation continues. Your computer sounds plently powerful enough and beyond. Disable any taskbar items you don't need running...test again.

Software I've written in the recent past for a laboratory, used all of the system resources to the max available for this program, so everything else had to literally "wait" while my program ran things. But, my program had a serious amount of priority due to it usage and this was a needed fact for that usage. Lots of programmers assume that if you launch their software, either directly or taskbar, their's is the most important, therefore whatever they need to accomplish, takes a higher priority than anything else.

A show computer doesn't need to be all powerful but extra programs in there, if not needed, either disable from auto-starting or kill them off as needed.

Try disconnecting the internet completely and disable the AV protection. Check to see if the hesitation continues. Your computer sounds plently powerful enough and beyond. Disable any taskbar items you don't need running...test again.

I will do this as suggested.  Thanks

Mark, I have the same problem (have for years now).  My only fix is to auto-reboot the computer 30 minutes prior to the show starting for the night.  Try it and see if that clears it up.

My problem with this has gotten worse and worse...I'm rebooting every day...usually gets thru the first 6 or seven songs, and then I start getting 1 to 2 minute delays between sequences.  No internet running,   Only 7500 rgb channels, and another 170 or so LOR channels. Have the 4 gig patch, compressed sequences, etc...not on the home network,  I5 Processor, 16 gigs of RAM...so I am attributing to leaks somewhere...perhaps as I expand the RGB stuff, a new software may need to be looked at...hate to do it,,comfortable with my LOR, but when people knock on your day and say "Hey Mister, Where's the Lights"?    It gets a bit annoying

I still have my hesitation problems. I have turned of so much software that was running in the background that my computer is literally a barebones LOR computer. LOR S3 is very disappointing. The programmers should had thought what the consequences would be with such high channel loads. LOR S3 just cant keep up! If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I will be looking to do some changes for next year.

My problem with this has gotten worse and worse...I'm rebooting every day...usually gets thru the first 6 or seven songs, and then I start getting 1 to 2 minute delays between sequences.  No internet running,   Only 7500 rgb channels, and another 170 or so LOR channels. Have the 4 gig patch, compressed sequences, etc...not on the home network,  I5 Processor, 16 gigs of RAM...so I am attributing to leaks somewhere...perhaps as I expand the RGB stuff, a new software may need to be looked at...hate to do it,,comfortable with my LOR, but when people knock on your day and say "Hey Mister, Where's the Lights"?    It gets a bit annoying

How big are your sequences, with the pixels I can bet they are 100 times bigger than a sequence with out them. You might need the 4 GB patch to fix it.

There's a setting in the show editor about loading shows when needed or loading before they are needed. Which option by chance are you using? Not sure if it matters or not. I do not have the 4gb patch as I don't need it at this time. When was the last time you defragged the hard drive? Are you sure you don't have a virus/malware in the computer and using a good AV program to scan the whole machine? There appears to be a memory problem with the LOR software and they are aware of it. Very difficult to for them to identity and find. I don't turn on my computer till about an hour before show time then immediately disable the AV, internet and etc... At least once a week, I'll boot it in the morning to insure that it gets all security updates and run the AV to scan but come show time, I disable all of that.

If you have large sequences, make sure to pick the option to load shows when needed.

I have 80 sequences and 18,000 channels. For the most part everything has run quite well, so the software is capable of running large shows. Make sure you are using compressed sequences.

The only glitch that i have seen, it has happened maybe 3 times. For what ever reason, the show player cannot load a compressed sequence. It then has to recreate the  compressed sequence. When you sequences are as large as mine this takes about 3 minutes. During this period the comm listener times out. When this happens you can be patient and wait, it will recreate the compressed sequence and continue playing the show. If i happen to here when it happens, i use the task manager to kill the control panel, restart it and the show starts immediately.

Ok. I changedthe setting to when sequences are needed. I have the 4 gig patch. And I haven't defragged my computer in awhile, but I will do that also. Thank you for the suggestions we'll see if this works.