Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama in 2006

Guest guest

Silverado wrote:

Question here from a rookie to get started for 2006 what else would I need besides a16 channellor with MP3 kit would i also require the usb connection and software new to this would like to have everything together when i purchase so that i dont have to wait for other parts??

Thanks Denis

Dennis,

You will need the controller, and a starter kit. The starter kit will have the software and an adaptor for the PC. There will be two starter kits Serial and Usb...

Note: You only need the MP3 card if you want the show to run without your PC.

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

No fighting fellows I am sure that there will be PLENTY of business for all of us. lol Especially after the carson buzz. Might be beneficial for the dealers to actually put togther a 4th of July display to showcase the products to the potential customers. Hopefully the dealer info will come before the 2nd quarter of the year. Silverado check out the thread under this one that sayd NEW TO LOR. There are ALOT of answers there.

Please... I think I opened a can of worms with this dealer announcement.... I am not sure how it is going to work. It may require that the dealer have an existing company and or a federal tax id and or established business credit or lots of things. It is in the lawyers hands now. I would not plan on being a LOR dealer at this point. Lets see how things pan out first...ok folks.

glenn wrote:

I am so happy that all of you that know what he is talking about are so excited.

I got my units last Feb. Mar, along in there and just this Dec. I got music to the LOR files. Just has been slow for me. If I had not spent three of those months trying to read the Filmward up dates I think I could have done more. And setting up 32 mini trees every time I completed 5 sec. just watch it didn't help either. I guess I could have also saved some time by leaving them up while I did the next 5 sec. (Just didn't want any spies seeing anything)

Glenn, I got lost on this post... Not sure what the "What he is talking about" part of the first line meant.

Also with reference to getting out the mini trees. Did you try setting up the animator to watch what the trees would do?

Dan from LOR,

I noticed in a previous reply, you mentioned there will be two starter kits: serial and USB. I already purchased the Starter kit with the serial connection but would really much rather have USB. Is it possible to get a free exchange once the USB is out?

Thanks!

LightORama wrote:

Brad Stevens wrote:
I have a question about the controller LORII upgrade. Will we have to send our controllers in, or would it be an upgrade that we could do ourselves?

Very important question! For the CTB16D and CTB08D, LORxxxxxW Model II this will be a firmware upgrade that you can apply yourself. For the CTB08 and LOR800W model I it will be a chip replacement that we will mail to you.

For the LOR160xW model 1 and the MC-P controllers it will be either a mail in (we pay postage in both directions) and we will upgrade the processor so that it will become LOR II and have field firmware upgradeable added. We may also provide a special software plug-in (only for owners of the MC-P and LOR160xW Model I owners that will allow LOR II to speek to those controllers.

Dan, I am new to computerized lighting, and can't wait to purchase my first LOR controllers in April. (Already got the SW.) I have been reading these forums like crazy to learn and have been amazed at your customer service.

I work in the mobile computer industry and run an authorized service center. I don't know of anyone in our industry who pays freight both ways, and offers free upgrades such as this. You are really setting up state of the art customer service here! I can see why you have such loyal customers.

timj wrote:

Dan from LOR,

I noticed in a previous reply, you mentioned there will be two starter kits: serial and USB. I already purchased the Starter kit with the serial connection but would really much rather have USB. Is it possible to get a free exchange once the USB is out?

Thanks!
I don't see a problem however the USB starter kit will be a little more than the serial, the usb connector will be more expensive than the serial one. We can make it just the difference in price for the exchange.

Question for anyone who has done more sequencing than I have...

I've been doing some very involved sequencing to a .wav file based upon a thread somewhere that the slower playback modes may not line up perfectly with an MP3, but will always work with a .wav. Assuming that the MP3 player won't play .wav files am I on the right track to think that what I need to do is sequence the whole song to the .wav, then convert the .wav back to an MP3 and export my sequencing and event mapping (assuming I can do that) to make a "new," final MP3-based show for the new LOR system?

Since I didn't understand LOR I yet, I am quite sure I don't have a grasp of LOR II. Other than some of the features (no holes, no dedicated computer) sound REALLY cool.

Dave Sanderson wrote:

I've been doing some very involved sequencing to a .wav file based upon a thread somewhere that the slower playback modes may not line up perfectly with an MP3, but will always work with a .wav. Assuming that the MP3 player won't play .wav files am I on the right track to think that what I need to do is sequence the whole song to the .wav, then convert the .wav back to an MP3 and export my sequencing and event mapping (assuming I can do that) to make a "new," final MP3-based show for the new LOR system?

The part "but will always work with a .wav" is a bit suspect. It should work find with a wave but I would double check. Do a little piece (near the end of the sequence) in slow motion. Then play it back from the beginning at normal speed. Make sure that things line up. If the do you are golden.

Dave Sanderson wrote:

The part "but will always work with a .wav" is a bit suspect. It should work find with a wave but I would double check. Do a little piece (near the end of the sequence) in slow motion. Then play it back from the beginning at normal speed. Make sure that things line up. If the do you are golden.

LightORama wrote:

Dave Sanderson wrote:

Thanks, Dan. We're gold. Does the rest of my approach make sense?

LightORama wrote:

Dan wrote:
The MP3 player also has direct input capability as well as monitoring the network for additional inputs.

G'day Dan,

Thanks for the info regarding release timeframes for the LOR > DMX interface.

With the MP3 Director I understand that sequences will be stored on an SD card. Are there limits to the number or size of tracks, other than what the SD card can store?

Are any of the features of the LOR Schedule Editor or Show Editor incorporated into the MP3 Director, eg: startup, show, shutdown sequences or ordering of sequences?

To trigger the show can it simply be started by applying power to the MP3 Director, eg through a timer, or do one of the hardware triggers need to be enabled?

Can you have an MP3 Director, or LOR1602MP3, in circuit while there is still a PC connected running LOR? Eg: PC > MP3 > 1602's. If so, what will happen if there is a sequence running from LOR and an unrelated event causes a trigger on the MP3 Director? I'd like to be in a position where I can leave all devices hooked up in the network.

Keep up the great work,

Davidt

www.daves-portal.com/xmas2006

davidt wrote:

With the MP3 Director I understand that sequences will be stored on an SD card. Are there limits to the number or size of tracks, other than what the SD card can store?

Are any of the features of the LOR Schedule Editor or Show Editor incorporated into the MP3 Director, eg: startup, show, shutdown sequences or ordering of sequences?

To trigger the show can it simply be started by applying power to the MP3 Director, eg through a timer, or do one of the hardware triggers need to be enabled?

Can you have an MP3 Director, or LOR1602MP3, in circuit while there is still a PC connected running LOR? Eg: PC > MP3 > 1602's. If so, what will happen if there is a sequence running from LOR and an unrelated event causes a trigger on the MP3 Director? I'd like to be in a position where I can leave all devices hooked up in the network.

some good questions....

Current limitation is about 120 musical sequences on the card. No limit on the size of the sequence or MP3 file. (will be improved in the future).

The intention is that you will be able to take a show and schedule as built on the PC and download it to the card. It will run on the LOR-DC-MP3 as it does on the PC.... BUT the initial delivery will be a subset of the the existing functionality. You will have the ability to schedule shows (The Director card has a clock with power backup built in) and shows will be able to start based on schedule or triggered by direct input. There will also be some neat interactive capabilities that are new to LOR II that will be supported on the LOR-DC-MP3 as well as the PC.

We only support one director so either the show is run by a PC or it is run by the director card.

Hey just because you ask does not mean you get.:]

Let's see... current business...check
Federal Tax ID.....check
Sales tax ID..... check
Corp. Credit.....check

Now the only thing is being able to understand everything everyone has said on this thread....:P:(:(:(:(

Folks if it happens it happens. Learned a long time ago not to worry about the small stuff cause the big stuff is just around the corner.:laughing:

I cannot tell you how excited i am by the new products. I plan to add at least 5 more 16ch cards to my display this year and now may have to at least add an MP3 director to that tally!!!!!

Dan,

Glenn Barber here, Dan 2006 is going to be my first year with LOR - My wife bought me the starter kit for Christmas - the CD 1.5.0 Version with the SC485 Serial Port adaptor and the CAT5 cord - I plan to start with 16 channells w/music - what all will I need to order in April to get going? Sorry about the silly way of asking. Just want to get everything I need all at once.