Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Light-O-Rama in 2006

Guest guest

I agree daniel your age would really get some people. I know however that there are several teens who have started businesses that do wonderful. It just might sound odd if you can't meet a perspective customer one evening because its a school night. Maybe your parents could technically be over the business, but you can help out. Like I said I am sure that dan will not have a hard time with dealers. I know of several that would like to help down out, and also ourselves and we are pretty evenly seperated. As far as dan hiring a 16 year old it will be set up as you being a subcontractor, and buying from him to sell to your customers. I know though that no one can enter into a contract until they are 18 so as I said earlier if you really wanted to try this out your parents would have to in business dealing be the actual dealers.

Guest guest

I guess I could go with my Dad (or Mom). Just I would hate to bother them more for two reasons..

1. They arnt verry "Christmas Excited"

2. We opened a store this year and they are a little busy

I guess Ill see what Dan says. But their is Some good news! I AM HOME SCHOOLED!! I can do stuff on a "school night" because I do "homework" ALL DAY!! Also how can I be typing this if I am in school? I am at our store right now helping my Dad with a few "tecnical" things he needs help on. I have very flexable time.

--Daniel L

Guest guest

Spacerockfan wrote:

Given that LOR II will support native USB connections to LOR controllers, is there any change to the X10 interface? Will it support the X10 USB interfaces, or still just the serial CM11A?

Has anyone tried using a USB-serial converter to control a CM11A?
We plan to control the CM15B (USB X10 connection) with LOR II... I have run the CM11A via a USB/Serial adaptor. It worked fine.

Guest guest

timj wrote:

Dan from LOR,

About the new wireless product - Will it interfere with wireless Internet, cordless phones, etc.? In other words, should I be worried that my lights may start going crazy due to interference and just hardwire it to be safe?

Also, are you guys going to sell the wireless units indivudally or in pairs (since it seems you would need two to even start using wireless)? And any idea of the cost?

Oh, and if we use wireless, will we still need to use that adapter that comes with the Showtime Starter Kit (I hope so since I bought it! lol) ?

Thanks!

I would not worry about interference. We allow you to select a number of different channels (32 channels).... That way the LOR users across the street will not interfere with your display:).

We have not established price. We will sell them as a single unit... It will take two to be usefull. (maybe we will sell pairs also I am not sure) Price is not established yet.

As far as the SC485.. Yes you will need one to connect the PC to the wireless unit.

Guest guest

Daniel wrote:

Are the retailers people like us that sign up and get a commission from the sales? Or are you tageting reall stores?
We have not finalized the specifics of the program yet. There is going to be some minimum order... I can't really comment in more detal at this time...

Guest guest

I'm staking my claim to the Detroit metro area! :-)

Guest guest

Dan, I'll take the south east if it is available. Please advise once you have finalized the details.

Guest guest

tbl33_01 I asked for the west coast of Florida six months ago.

Guest guest

Question here from a rookie to get started for 2006 what else would I need besides a16 channellor with MP3 kit would i also require the usb connection and software new to this would like to have everything together when i purchase so that i dont have to wait for other parts??

Thanks Denis

Guest guest

No fighting fellows I am sure that there will be PLENTY of business for all of us. lol Especially after the carson buzz. Might be beneficial for the dealers to actually put togther a 4th of July display to showcase the products to the potential customers. Hopefully the dealer info will come before the 2nd quarter of the year. Silverado check out the thread under this one that sayd NEW TO LOR. There are ALOT of answers there.

Guest guest

Silverado wrote:

Question here from a rookie to get started for 2006 what else would I need besides a16 channellor with MP3 kit would i also require the usb connection and software new to this would like to have everything together when i purchase so that i dont have to wait for other parts??

Thanks Denis

Dennis,

You will need the controller, and a starter kit. The starter kit will have the software and an adaptor for the PC. There will be two starter kits Serial and Usb...

Note: You only need the MP3 card if you want the show to run without your PC.

Guest guest

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

No fighting fellows I am sure that there will be PLENTY of business for all of us. lol Especially after the carson buzz. Might be beneficial for the dealers to actually put togther a 4th of July display to showcase the products to the potential customers. Hopefully the dealer info will come before the 2nd quarter of the year. Silverado check out the thread under this one that sayd NEW TO LOR. There are ALOT of answers there.

Please... I think I opened a can of worms with this dealer announcement.... I am not sure how it is going to work. It may require that the dealer have an existing company and or a federal tax id and or established business credit or lots of things. It is in the lawyers hands now. I would not plan on being a LOR dealer at this point. Lets see how things pan out first...ok folks.

Guest guest

Thank you will anxiously wait for April sale will probably want mp3 card maybe more by then.Will have to justify cost to my project coordinator(wife) lol

Thank You

Guest guest

Orginial post moved to North pole.

glenn

Guest guest

glenn wrote:

I am so happy that all of you that know what he is talking about are so excited.

I got my units last Feb. Mar, along in there and just this Dec. I got music to the LOR files. Just has been slow for me. If I had not spent three of those months trying to read the Filmward up dates I think I could have done more. And setting up 32 mini trees every time I completed 5 sec. just watch it didn't help either. I guess I could have also saved some time by leaving them up while I did the next 5 sec. (Just didn't want any spies seeing anything)

Glenn, I got lost on this post... Not sure what the "What he is talking about" part of the first line meant.

Also with reference to getting out the mini trees. Did you try setting up the animator to watch what the trees would do?

Guest guest

Dan from LOR,

I noticed in a previous reply, you mentioned there will be two starter kits: serial and USB. I already purchased the Starter kit with the serial connection but would really much rather have USB. Is it possible to get a free exchange once the USB is out?

Thanks!

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

Brad Stevens wrote:
I have a question about the controller LORII upgrade. Will we have to send our controllers in, or would it be an upgrade that we could do ourselves?

Very important question! For the CTB16D and CTB08D, LORxxxxxW Model II this will be a firmware upgrade that you can apply yourself. For the CTB08 and LOR800W model I it will be a chip replacement that we will mail to you.

For the LOR160xW model 1 and the MC-P controllers it will be either a mail in (we pay postage in both directions) and we will upgrade the processor so that it will become LOR II and have field firmware upgradeable added. We may also provide a special software plug-in (only for owners of the MC-P and LOR160xW Model I owners that will allow LOR II to speek to those controllers.

Dan, I am new to computerized lighting, and can't wait to purchase my first LOR controllers in April. (Already got the SW.) I have been reading these forums like crazy to learn and have been amazed at your customer service.

I work in the mobile computer industry and run an authorized service center. I don't know of anyone in our industry who pays freight both ways, and offers free upgrades such as this. You are really setting up state of the art customer service here! I can see why you have such loyal customers.

Guest guest

timj wrote:

Dan from LOR,

I noticed in a previous reply, you mentioned there will be two starter kits: serial and USB. I already purchased the Starter kit with the serial connection but would really much rather have USB. Is it possible to get a free exchange once the USB is out?

Thanks!
I don't see a problem however the USB starter kit will be a little more than the serial, the usb connector will be more expensive than the serial one. We can make it just the difference in price for the exchange.

Guest guest

Robin. I said "IF" it's available.

Robin wrote:

tbl33_01 I asked for the west coast of Florida six months ago.

Guest guest

Question for anyone who has done more sequencing than I have...

I've been doing some very involved sequencing to a .wav file based upon a thread somewhere that the slower playback modes may not line up perfectly with an MP3, but will always work with a .wav. Assuming that the MP3 player won't play .wav files am I on the right track to think that what I need to do is sequence the whole song to the .wav, then convert the .wav back to an MP3 and export my sequencing and event mapping (assuming I can do that) to make a "new," final MP3-based show for the new LOR system?

Since I didn't understand LOR I yet, I am quite sure I don't have a grasp of LOR II. Other than some of the features (no holes, no dedicated computer) sound REALLY cool.

Guest guest

Dave Sanderson wrote:

I've been doing some very involved sequencing to a .wav file based upon a thread somewhere that the slower playback modes may not line up perfectly with an MP3, but will always work with a .wav. Assuming that the MP3 player won't play .wav files am I on the right track to think that what I need to do is sequence the whole song to the .wav, then convert the .wav back to an MP3 and export my sequencing and event mapping (assuming I can do that) to make a "new," final MP3-based show for the new LOR system?

The part "but will always work with a .wav" is a bit suspect. It should work find with a wave but I would double check. Do a little piece (near the end of the sequence) in slow motion. Then play it back from the beginning at normal speed. Make sure that things line up. If the do you are golden.

Guest guest

Dave Sanderson wrote:

The part "but will always work with a .wav" is a bit suspect. It should work find with a wave but I would double check. Do a little piece (near the end of the sequence) in slow motion. Then play it back from the beginning at normal speed. Make sure that things line up. If the do you are golden.

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

Dave Sanderson wrote:

Thanks, Dan. We're gold. Does the rest of my approach make sense?

Guest guest

Dave Sanderson wrote:

Thanks, Dan. We're gold. Does the rest of my approach make sense?
Yes it does!

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

Dan wrote:
The MP3 player also has direct input capability as well as monitoring the network for additional inputs.

G'day Dan,

Thanks for the info regarding release timeframes for the LOR > DMX interface.

With the MP3 Director I understand that sequences will be stored on an SD card. Are there limits to the number or size of tracks, other than what the SD card can store?

Are any of the features of the LOR Schedule Editor or Show Editor incorporated into the MP3 Director, eg: startup, show, shutdown sequences or ordering of sequences?

To trigger the show can it simply be started by applying power to the MP3 Director, eg through a timer, or do one of the hardware triggers need to be enabled?

Can you have an MP3 Director, or LOR1602MP3, in circuit while there is still a PC connected running LOR? Eg: PC > MP3 > 1602's. If so, what will happen if there is a sequence running from LOR and an unrelated event causes a trigger on the MP3 Director? I'd like to be in a position where I can leave all devices hooked up in the network.

Keep up the great work,

Davidt

www.daves-portal.com/xmas2006