Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama in 2006

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

Wireless connector (Easy Light Linker) – This new unit was successfully beta tested last season. This RF unit was custom designed to work in a LOR network to provide wireless connectivity between LOR network components. You can use wireless to get out of the house without any holes! … One RF unit can drive any number of connected LOR controllers or you can put a RF unit on each unit. Coordinate the lights inside and out side your house without wires.
(Available in our April sale)

Sounds interesting. Might want that depending on price if I can use it from PC to 1st controller. Edit: Silly me! My units will be mounted in an waterproof aluminum enclosure that will be grounded to a ground rod. No wireless signal will penetrate that grounded mass! We still get lightning in November here.

16 Channel DIY KitFinally the first/only authorized DIY kit that is supported by Light O Rama will become available! This kit will either be sold directly by Light O Rama or a third party kit supplier. All parts required to build a 16 channel, 40A light controller will be included. This unit will appear as a new type of device to LOR software with full in-field firmware upgradeability. This unit will provide seamless transition to the new LORII communications protocol.
(Available at our April Sale – directly or on sale by us or on sale at our authorized kit supplier.)

This has possibilities! Like the idea if it doesn't include soldering surface mount parts.(especially those with .05 centers). Can't see like I used to..... Wouldn't mind seeing more info on this option.

UBS DirectA USB replacement for the SC485 that will provide direct USB access to a LOR network via a USB port.
(Available at our April Sale)

Any thoughts on an ethernet interface?

LORII – “Showtime Software Suite” Our next generation of software. (a free upgrade to existing customers) LOR has been completely re-engineered to provide an even simpler user interface with new wizards for those who want to keep things easy AND a number of high-powered features for those who want to go to the next level of complexity. A complete list of features will be posted at a later date.

A new, communication protocol will be introduced that allows LOR future flexibility. This new protocol will support many new lighting effects and provide enhanced reliability for our new wireless connections. NOTE: Existing LOR controllers/firmware will not work with LOR II. All existing LOR controllers will be upgraded to this new protocol free of charge.

For programmers, a LOR SDK will be supplied that allows you to directly control LOR controllers, X10 and DIO cards from your software.
(Available 2nd quarter)

Like this, too. Updating firmware isn't a big deal. Making the software easy is good since I'm on the beginning of the learning curve and having a bit of trouble with the demo. April is a good month for a sale. I usually get overtime about that time of year. Your products are a planned buy for the coming year to add to my existing hardwired channel sequence controller. In fact, I'm looking to interface 2 channels from a LOR to my hardwired one.

LOR DealersStarting in 2006 LOR will start selling products via authorized re-sellers. We will also continue to have our online store and sell directly.
(Available 2nd quarter)

Any thought where these new distributors will be located? I'm outside St. Louis, Mo. Hopefully one will be located near here.

-------------------

I would like to add one thing mentioning lightning in my edit: I plan to use 150V MOV's across each channel output and AC input. Does anyone know the breakdown voltage of the triacs used in the 16d?

Yes, I'm rather paranoid about lightning. I design, service and build roadside weather collecting equipment. I see often what lightning can do to electronic equipment.:shock:

LightORama wrote:

They will require firmware upgrades or new chips... We will bear all expense for the upgrade of existing LOR supplied controllers...
... it will be either a mail in (we pay postage in both directions)...

I can tell you from experience that this level of support is virtually unheard of from any of the industrial control vendors that I deal with at work - at least without the purchase of an expensive maintenance contract.

Your customer support amazes me!

warbirdmedia wrote:

Will the LOR II Software also support DIO cards directly? You mentioned in your announcement that and SDK would be included.

"For programmers, a LOR SDK will be supplied that allows you to directly control LOR controllers, X10 and DIO cards from your software. "

Will the software be similiar to the Light Automation Control Software - Extended Version?

I guess I am trying to ask if the new software will be as easy to use with DIO cards as the old software. I am going to use both LOR boxes and a DIO card.

Thanks!!

Yes the software will continue to support DIO the way it does today. In addtion to the existing way of controlling devices, the SDK will allow programmers access to the same devices that LOR supports today.

Roadrat wrote:

[hacked up to shorten... Dan]
Any thoughts on an ethernet interface?

Any thought where these new distributors will be located? I'm outside St. Louis, Mo. Hopefully one will be located near here.
Would like to add one thing mentioning lightning in my edit: I plan to use 150V MOV's across each channel output and AC input. Does anyone know the breakdown voltage of the triacs used in the 16d?

Yes, I'm rather paranoid about lightning. I design, service and build roadside weather collecting equipment. I see often what lightning can do to electronic equipment.:shock:

We have talked about an ethernet interface but not for this year.

Not sure where the re-sellers will be located.

The triac used is: BTA16-600BW: Here is the spec: http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/7471.pdf

Given that LOR II will support native USB connections to LOR controllers, is there any change to the X10 interface? Will it support the X10 USB interfaces, or still just the serial CM11A?

Has anyone tried using a USB-serial converter to control a CM11A?

Dan from LOR,

About the new wireless product - Will it interfere with wireless Internet, cordless phones, etc.? In other words, should I be worried that my lights may start going crazy due to interference and just hardwire it to be safe?

Also, are you guys going to sell the wireless units indivudally or in pairs (since it seems you would need two to even start using wireless)? And any idea of the cost?

Oh, and if we use wireless, will we still need to use that adapter that comes with the Showtime Starter Kit (I hope so since I bought it! lol) ?

Thanks!

Daniel, I would assume that the dealers would be quite a few of us. As long as there is not a HUGE overhead to be one of the dealers I would def be very interested. Al had dealers, and I was able to see a copy of their do's and don'ts for their dealers and I assume that alot will be the same. There will prob be dealers for certain regions. I have the perfect area from Indy to Nashville. I am smack dab in the middle of both. That way I could make rounds for the customers if need be. I am very excited about the new products, BUT I have to say the dealer info has me the MOST excited. Can't wait to hear more about it dan.

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

Daniel, I would assume that the dealers would be quite a few of us.  As long as there is not a HUGE overhead to be one of the dealers I would def be very interested.  Al had dealers, and I was able to see a copy of their do's and don'ts for their dealers and I assume that alot will be the same.  There will prob be dealers for certain regions.  I have the perfect area from Indy to Nashville.  I am smack dab in the middle of both.  That way I could make rounds for the customers if need be.  I am very excited about the new products, BUT I have to say the dealer info has me the MOST excited.  Can't wait to hear more about it dan.

Same here Steve. I am just outside of Saint Louis, so I can definately be available to service the regions just to the west of you. I'll be interested to see the details!

ME TOO! That is why I asked! I would LOVE to tell people about LOR and sell to them. And I can also see the diffrent LOR products to see what is next on my list!

--Daniel L

P.S.- I hope Dan will hire a 16 year old! I am trust worthy but some people wont like that!;)

I agree daniel your age would really get some people. I know however that there are several teens who have started businesses that do wonderful. It just might sound odd if you can't meet a perspective customer one evening because its a school night. Maybe your parents could technically be over the business, but you can help out. Like I said I am sure that dan will not have a hard time with dealers. I know of several that would like to help down out, and also ourselves and we are pretty evenly seperated. As far as dan hiring a 16 year old it will be set up as you being a subcontractor, and buying from him to sell to your customers. I know though that no one can enter into a contract until they are 18 so as I said earlier if you really wanted to try this out your parents would have to in business dealing be the actual dealers.

I guess I could go with my Dad (or Mom). Just I would hate to bother them more for two reasons..

1. They arnt verry "Christmas Excited"

2. We opened a store this year and they are a little busy

I guess Ill see what Dan says. But their is Some good news! I AM HOME SCHOOLED!! I can do stuff on a "school night" because I do "homework" ALL DAY!! Also how can I be typing this if I am in school? I am at our store right now helping my Dad with a few "tecnical" things he needs help on. I have very flexable time.

--Daniel L

Spacerockfan wrote:

Given that LOR II will support native USB connections to LOR controllers, is there any change to the X10 interface? Will it support the X10 USB interfaces, or still just the serial CM11A?

Has anyone tried using a USB-serial converter to control a CM11A?
We plan to control the CM15B (USB X10 connection) with LOR II... I have run the CM11A via a USB/Serial adaptor. It worked fine.

timj wrote:

Dan from LOR,

About the new wireless product - Will it interfere with wireless Internet, cordless phones, etc.? In other words, should I be worried that my lights may start going crazy due to interference and just hardwire it to be safe?

Also, are you guys going to sell the wireless units indivudally or in pairs (since it seems you would need two to even start using wireless)? And any idea of the cost?

Oh, and if we use wireless, will we still need to use that adapter that comes with the Showtime Starter Kit (I hope so since I bought it! lol) ?

Thanks!

I would not worry about interference. We allow you to select a number of different channels (32 channels).... That way the LOR users across the street will not interfere with your display:).

We have not established price. We will sell them as a single unit... It will take two to be usefull. (maybe we will sell pairs also I am not sure) Price is not established yet.

As far as the SC485.. Yes you will need one to connect the PC to the wireless unit.

Daniel wrote:

Are the retailers people like us that sign up and get a commission from the sales? Or are you tageting reall stores?
We have not finalized the specifics of the program yet. There is going to be some minimum order... I can't really comment in more detal at this time...

Question here from a rookie to get started for 2006 what else would I need besides a16 channellor with MP3 kit would i also require the usb connection and software new to this would like to have everything together when i purchase so that i dont have to wait for other parts??

Thanks Denis

No fighting fellows I am sure that there will be PLENTY of business for all of us. lol Especially after the carson buzz. Might be beneficial for the dealers to actually put togther a 4th of July display to showcase the products to the potential customers. Hopefully the dealer info will come before the 2nd quarter of the year. Silverado check out the thread under this one that sayd NEW TO LOR. There are ALOT of answers there.