Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Light-O-Rama in 2006

Guest guest

Scot Meyers wrote:

Dan,
Can we buy the mp3 components for the CTB16D hobby board or do we have to upgrade to a 160x board? also. As you remeber i had usb on my laptop and not sc485. I had to bu a converter no problem there but will the new boards be daisy chained by usb or by sc485?

what is the initial overhead to become an authorized dealer for LOR?

just a few of the many questions many of us will have

The MP3 Director card will be sold as a separate component as well as integrated into a controller. The MP3 Director card is compatible with all LOR controllers.

The cards will remain connected via RS485. USB is not suitable for long distance communications. Then adapter is a single piece that will replace the two parts USB/Serial adapter and the SC485 adapter.

The specifics for becoming a LOR dealer is still with the lawyers.

Guest guest

davidt wrote:

Hi Dan,

This is great news. Any idea when / if you are still planning on releasing the LOR > DMX interface?
Opps ... I knew we were missing something there... That will be 3rd quarter.

Guest guest

Stephen Blue wrote:

A question about the MP3 Director - does this card come with channels on it? Or is it just a direction unit? (-edit- Maybe a stupid question because why would you want control channels inside, or if it was outside, why would you want your transmitter or stereo out there...-/edit-) Also, will it work with existing LOR I boards as-is, or will they need the firmware upgrade to benifit from it?
The card does not have any direct control on it. It acts like the PC and directs the show and plays the music. It will work with existing LOR controllers. As far as firmware upgrade is concerned... please note: EXISTING CONTROLLERS WILL NOT WORK WITH LOR II !!! ( They will require firmware upgrades or new chips... We will bear all expense for the upgrade of existing LOR supplied controllers... )

Guest guest

Brad Stevens wrote:

I have a question about the controller LORII upgrade. Will we have to send our controllers in, or would it be an upgrade that we could do ourselves?

Very important question! For the CTB16D and CTB08D, LORxxxxxW Model II this will be a firmware upgrade that you can apply yourself. For the CTB08 and LOR800W model I it will be a chip replacement that we will mail to you.

For the LOR160xW model 1 and the MC-P controllers it will be either a mail in (we pay postage in both directions) and we will upgrade the processor so that it will become LOR II and have field firmware upgradeable added. We may also provide a special software plug-in (only for owners of the MC-P and LOR160xW Model I owners that will allow LOR II to speek to those controllers.

Guest guest

Ok....I'll ask a ?

I bought 5 16ch hobby boards with the heat sink....I have only got around to tinkering with one....with these upgrades....will it be easier for me to hold off on assembly?...in other words...they will have to be shipped to you for the new firmware?

edit.....see...I knew I should have waited....there's my answer....lol

Guest guest

jen grissett wrote:

Ok....I'll ask a ?

I bought 5 16ch hobby boards with the heat sink....I have only got around to tinkering with one....with these upgrades....will it be easier for me to hold off on assembly?...in other words...they will have to be shipped to you for the new firmware?
The firmware change is a quick and easy update that you can perform using the Hardware Utility. It takes less than 1 minute per unit.

Guest guest

Hi Dan,

You make a point that LOR 1 boards will not understand the new protocol but what about new boards understanding the old protocol (backwards compatible vs. forwards compatible). Not a huge deal if the new ones are not backwards compatible just trying to see if I can reduce the variables that need changing for the 06 show.

Frank

Guest guest

Any idea what the amp capacity is going to be for the LOR1602MP3?

:happytree: Everything sounds great and can't wait.

Guest guest

I feel like I'm in LOR heaven right now, just thinking about all of these wonderful new toys. :D Now if a LOR board would just come out to do my video taping, I would have it all. lol :D

Bill

Guest guest

Looks like there's some nice improvements coming. One question for you - is there any input capabilities being added anytiem soon. I know about the one that will trigger a sequence now. Any chance that there would be inputs other than that? Maybe at least one on the MP3 Director that will allow an input (motion detector maybe) to trigger a sequence involving multiple controllers?

Thanks.

Guest guest

pHar wrote:

Hi Dan,

You make a point that LOR 1 boards will not understand the new protocol but what about new boards understanding the old protocol (backwards compatible vs. forwards compatible). Not a huge deal if the new ones are not backwards compatible just trying to see if I can reduce the variables that need changing for the 06 show.

Frank
Most if not all new cards will have in field firmware upgrade capability. So you can pick if the card will run LOR I or LOR II based on the firmware you load into it.

Guest guest

uclasilva wrote:

Any idea what the amp capacity is going to be for the LOR1602MP3?
The LOR1602MP3 will be 30 amps (15x2) like the LOR1602W... It is a LOR1602W with the MP3 player installed.

Guest guest

cstom2002 wrote:

Looks like there's some nice improvements coming. One question for you - is there any input capabilities being added anytiem soon. I know about the one that will trigger a sequence now. Any chance that there would be inputs other than that? Maybe at least one on the MP3 Director that will allow an input (motion detector maybe) to trigger a sequence involving multiple controllers?

The LORII software has support for input.... The MP3 player also has direct input capability as well as monitoring the network for additional inputs.

Guest guest

Will the LOR II Software also support DIO cards directly? You mentioned in your announcement that and SDK would be included.

"For programmers, a LOR SDK will be supplied that allows you to directly control LOR controllers, X10 and DIO cards from your software. "

Will the software be similiar to the Light Automation Control Software - Extended Version?

I guess I am trying to ask if the new software will be as easy to use with DIO cards as the old software. I am going to use both LOR boxes and a DIO card.

Thanks!!

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

Wireless connector (Easy Light Linker) – This new unit was successfully beta tested last season. This RF unit was custom designed to work in a LOR network to provide wireless connectivity between LOR network components. You can use wireless to get out of the house without any holes! … One RF unit can drive any number of connected LOR controllers or you can put a RF unit on each unit. Coordinate the lights inside and out side your house without wires.
(Available in our April sale)

Sounds interesting. Might want that depending on price if I can use it from PC to 1st controller. Edit: Silly me! My units will be mounted in an waterproof aluminum enclosure that will be grounded to a ground rod. No wireless signal will penetrate that grounded mass! We still get lightning in November here.

16 Channel DIY KitFinally the first/only authorized DIY kit that is supported by Light O Rama will become available! This kit will either be sold directly by Light O Rama or a third party kit supplier. All parts required to build a 16 channel, 40A light controller will be included. This unit will appear as a new type of device to LOR software with full in-field firmware upgradeability. This unit will provide seamless transition to the new LORII communications protocol.
(Available at our April Sale – directly or on sale by us or on sale at our authorized kit supplier.)

This has possibilities! Like the idea if it doesn't include soldering surface mount parts.(especially those with .05 centers). Can't see like I used to..... Wouldn't mind seeing more info on this option.

UBS DirectA USB replacement for the SC485 that will provide direct USB access to a LOR network via a USB port.
(Available at our April Sale)

Any thoughts on an ethernet interface?

LORII – “Showtime Software Suite” Our next generation of software. (a free upgrade to existing customers) LOR has been completely re-engineered to provide an even simpler user interface with new wizards for those who want to keep things easy AND a number of high-powered features for those who want to go to the next level of complexity. A complete list of features will be posted at a later date.

A new, communication protocol will be introduced that allows LOR future flexibility. This new protocol will support many new lighting effects and provide enhanced reliability for our new wireless connections. NOTE: Existing LOR controllers/firmware will not work with LOR II. All existing LOR controllers will be upgraded to this new protocol free of charge.

For programmers, a LOR SDK will be supplied that allows you to directly control LOR controllers, X10 and DIO cards from your software.
(Available 2nd quarter)

Like this, too. Updating firmware isn't a big deal. Making the software easy is good since I'm on the beginning of the learning curve and having a bit of trouble with the demo. April is a good month for a sale. I usually get overtime about that time of year. Your products are a planned buy for the coming year to add to my existing hardwired channel sequence controller. In fact, I'm looking to interface 2 channels from a LOR to my hardwired one.

LOR DealersStarting in 2006 LOR will start selling products via authorized re-sellers. We will also continue to have our online store and sell directly.
(Available 2nd quarter)

Any thought where these new distributors will be located? I'm outside St. Louis, Mo. Hopefully one will be located near here.

-------------------

I would like to add one thing mentioning lightning in my edit: I plan to use 150V MOV's across each channel output and AC input. Does anyone know the breakdown voltage of the triacs used in the 16d?

Yes, I'm rather paranoid about lightning. I design, service and build roadside weather collecting equipment. I see often what lightning can do to electronic equipment.:shock:

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

They will require firmware upgrades or new chips... We will bear all expense for the upgrade of existing LOR supplied controllers...
... it will be either a mail in (we pay postage in both directions)...

I can tell you from experience that this level of support is virtually unheard of from any of the industrial control vendors that I deal with at work - at least without the purchase of an expensive maintenance contract.

Your customer support amazes me!

Guest guest

warbirdmedia wrote:

Will the LOR II Software also support DIO cards directly? You mentioned in your announcement that and SDK would be included.

"For programmers, a LOR SDK will be supplied that allows you to directly control LOR controllers, X10 and DIO cards from your software. "

Will the software be similiar to the Light Automation Control Software - Extended Version?

I guess I am trying to ask if the new software will be as easy to use with DIO cards as the old software. I am going to use both LOR boxes and a DIO card.

Thanks!!

Yes the software will continue to support DIO the way it does today. In addtion to the existing way of controlling devices, the SDK will allow programmers access to the same devices that LOR supports today.

Guest guest

Roadrat wrote:

[hacked up to shorten... Dan]
Any thoughts on an ethernet interface?

Any thought where these new distributors will be located? I'm outside St. Louis, Mo. Hopefully one will be located near here.
Would like to add one thing mentioning lightning in my edit: I plan to use 150V MOV's across each channel output and AC input. Does anyone know the breakdown voltage of the triacs used in the 16d?

Yes, I'm rather paranoid about lightning. I design, service and build roadside weather collecting equipment. I see often what lightning can do to electronic equipment.:shock:

We have talked about an ethernet interface but not for this year.

Not sure where the re-sellers will be located.

The triac used is: BTA16-600BW: Here is the spec: http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/7471.pdf

Guest guest

Given that LOR II will support native USB connections to LOR controllers, is there any change to the X10 interface? Will it support the X10 USB interfaces, or still just the serial CM11A?

Has anyone tried using a USB-serial converter to control a CM11A?

Guest guest

Dan,

Are the retailers people like us that sign up and get a commission from the sales? Or are you tageting reall stores?

--Daniel L

Guest guest

Dan from LOR,

About the new wireless product - Will it interfere with wireless Internet, cordless phones, etc.? In other words, should I be worried that my lights may start going crazy due to interference and just hardwire it to be safe?

Also, are you guys going to sell the wireless units indivudally or in pairs (since it seems you would need two to even start using wireless)? And any idea of the cost?

Oh, and if we use wireless, will we still need to use that adapter that comes with the Showtime Starter Kit (I hope so since I bought it! lol) ?

Thanks!

Guest guest

Daniel, I would assume that the dealers would be quite a few of us. As long as there is not a HUGE overhead to be one of the dealers I would def be very interested. Al had dealers, and I was able to see a copy of their do's and don'ts for their dealers and I assume that alot will be the same. There will prob be dealers for certain regions. I have the perfect area from Indy to Nashville. I am smack dab in the middle of both. That way I could make rounds for the customers if need be. I am very excited about the new products, BUT I have to say the dealer info has me the MOST excited. Can't wait to hear more about it dan.

Guest guest

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

Daniel, I would assume that the dealers would be quite a few of us.  As long as there is not a HUGE overhead to be one of the dealers I would def be very interested.  Al had dealers, and I was able to see a copy of their do's and don'ts for their dealers and I assume that alot will be the same.  There will prob be dealers for certain regions.  I have the perfect area from Indy to Nashville.  I am smack dab in the middle of both.  That way I could make rounds for the customers if need be.  I am very excited about the new products, BUT I have to say the dealer info has me the MOST excited.  Can't wait to hear more about it dan.

Same here Steve. I am just outside of Saint Louis, so I can definately be available to service the regions just to the west of you. I'll be interested to see the details!

Guest guest

ME TOO! That is why I asked! I would LOVE to tell people about LOR and sell to them. And I can also see the diffrent LOR products to see what is next on my list!

--Daniel L

P.S.- I hope Dan will hire a 16 year old! I am trust worthy but some people wont like that!;)