Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama in 2006

Guest guest

Kenny Greer wrote:

Sounds like wonderful stuff coming up not-so-much-later this year! And I'd also like to know the dealer information, too (before Jen gets a hold of it) for our area maybe.

No worries.....I don't know enough about it to even attempt....I'll stick with dealing in blowmolds....:?

I have a bazillion questions....but it looks like pretty much all has or will be asked...so I'll just watch and learn....:]

Very exciting stuff...glad to see it has all come together....:waycool:

FOr the LORII...

I will be a new customer during the april sale, but this sale will be before the LORII is released. Will those controllers already be LORII ready or...?

Basically for me I have no need for them until september/october anyway as that is when i typically get gung ho on my display...

Oh and I am probbaly too excited about the DIY kit... :shock:

Thanks for the update Dan...

Scot Meyers wrote:

Dan,
Can we buy the mp3 components for the CTB16D hobby board or do we have to upgrade to a 160x board? also. As you remeber i had usb on my laptop and not sc485. I had to bu a converter no problem there but will the new boards be daisy chained by usb or by sc485?

what is the initial overhead to become an authorized dealer for LOR?

just a few of the many questions many of us will have

The MP3 Director card will be sold as a separate component as well as integrated into a controller. The MP3 Director card is compatible with all LOR controllers.

The cards will remain connected via RS485. USB is not suitable for long distance communications. Then adapter is a single piece that will replace the two parts USB/Serial adapter and the SC485 adapter.

The specifics for becoming a LOR dealer is still with the lawyers.

davidt wrote:

Hi Dan,

This is great news. Any idea when / if you are still planning on releasing the LOR > DMX interface?
Opps ... I knew we were missing something there... That will be 3rd quarter.

Stephen Blue wrote:

A question about the MP3 Director - does this card come with channels on it? Or is it just a direction unit? (-edit- Maybe a stupid question because why would you want control channels inside, or if it was outside, why would you want your transmitter or stereo out there...-/edit-) Also, will it work with existing LOR I boards as-is, or will they need the firmware upgrade to benifit from it?
The card does not have any direct control on it. It acts like the PC and directs the show and plays the music. It will work with existing LOR controllers. As far as firmware upgrade is concerned... please note: EXISTING CONTROLLERS WILL NOT WORK WITH LOR II !!! ( They will require firmware upgrades or new chips... We will bear all expense for the upgrade of existing LOR supplied controllers... )

Brad Stevens wrote:

I have a question about the controller LORII upgrade. Will we have to send our controllers in, or would it be an upgrade that we could do ourselves?

Very important question! For the CTB16D and CTB08D, LORxxxxxW Model II this will be a firmware upgrade that you can apply yourself. For the CTB08 and LOR800W model I it will be a chip replacement that we will mail to you.

For the LOR160xW model 1 and the MC-P controllers it will be either a mail in (we pay postage in both directions) and we will upgrade the processor so that it will become LOR II and have field firmware upgradeable added. We may also provide a special software plug-in (only for owners of the MC-P and LOR160xW Model I owners that will allow LOR II to speek to those controllers.

Ok....I'll ask a ?

I bought 5 16ch hobby boards with the heat sink....I have only got around to tinkering with one....with these upgrades....will it be easier for me to hold off on assembly?...in other words...they will have to be shipped to you for the new firmware?

edit.....see...I knew I should have waited....there's my answer....lol

jen grissett wrote:

Ok....I'll ask a ?

I bought 5 16ch hobby boards with the heat sink....I have only got around to tinkering with one....with these upgrades....will it be easier for me to hold off on assembly?...in other words...they will have to be shipped to you for the new firmware?
The firmware change is a quick and easy update that you can perform using the Hardware Utility. It takes less than 1 minute per unit.

Hi Dan,

You make a point that LOR 1 boards will not understand the new protocol but what about new boards understanding the old protocol (backwards compatible vs. forwards compatible). Not a huge deal if the new ones are not backwards compatible just trying to see if I can reduce the variables that need changing for the 06 show.

Frank

I feel like I'm in LOR heaven right now, just thinking about all of these wonderful new toys. :D Now if a LOR board would just come out to do my video taping, I would have it all. lol :D

Bill

Looks like there's some nice improvements coming. One question for you - is there any input capabilities being added anytiem soon. I know about the one that will trigger a sequence now. Any chance that there would be inputs other than that? Maybe at least one on the MP3 Director that will allow an input (motion detector maybe) to trigger a sequence involving multiple controllers?

Thanks.

pHar wrote:

Hi Dan,

You make a point that LOR 1 boards will not understand the new protocol but what about new boards understanding the old protocol (backwards compatible vs. forwards compatible). Not a huge deal if the new ones are not backwards compatible just trying to see if I can reduce the variables that need changing for the 06 show.

Frank
Most if not all new cards will have in field firmware upgrade capability. So you can pick if the card will run LOR I or LOR II based on the firmware you load into it.

uclasilva wrote:

Any idea what the amp capacity is going to be for the LOR1602MP3?
The LOR1602MP3 will be 30 amps (15x2) like the LOR1602W... It is a LOR1602W with the MP3 player installed.

cstom2002 wrote:

Looks like there's some nice improvements coming. One question for you - is there any input capabilities being added anytiem soon. I know about the one that will trigger a sequence now. Any chance that there would be inputs other than that? Maybe at least one on the MP3 Director that will allow an input (motion detector maybe) to trigger a sequence involving multiple controllers?

The LORII software has support for input.... The MP3 player also has direct input capability as well as monitoring the network for additional inputs.

Will the LOR II Software also support DIO cards directly? You mentioned in your announcement that and SDK would be included.

"For programmers, a LOR SDK will be supplied that allows you to directly control LOR controllers, X10 and DIO cards from your software. "

Will the software be similiar to the Light Automation Control Software - Extended Version?

I guess I am trying to ask if the new software will be as easy to use with DIO cards as the old software. I am going to use both LOR boxes and a DIO card.

Thanks!!