Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you synchronize DVD with LOR

Dawgsteve

Hi guys,

This is my first post here and first year using LOR, so please be gentle  LOL

Since I was a little late to the party I bought a 16 channel controller, a G3-MP3 director so I'm not tied to a laptop and bought some pre done sequences.  Show turned out pretty nice but I'm already thinking ahead to next year.

Saw a great show on YouTube out of Las Vegas I think that had a screen and played the video from Snow Miser/Heat Miser and had a pretty cool show set up to it.

Like the idea of having a projector for Santa in the Window, but also thought it would be cool to do like the Vegas guy and have the video from the Christmas Animated show playing while my show plays to that music.

Question though...how in the world would you be able to sync the projected DVD show to the light show and music?  Seems like it would be extremely complex.

And would that DVD be just on one of the 16 channels or would you need a second controller to really make that work?

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 1

I am a newbie this year as well and bought a 16 channel package along with a mDM-MP3 director.

I have visions of using this hardware throughout the year to play shows on other holidays as well.  I do envision incorporating video into my shows as well.

Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You need to get the clip into your computer. Go to YouTube and search for it. Then download it using any one of many downloaders such as youtube down loader.  Then use the clip as your audio, sequence to your hearts content. Good luck.

MikeH

MikeH

I have been following this for the same reason as Dawgsteve, and have a question.  I understand the sequenceing part but what is the trigger to run the video,  Or is the video just running a loop and not really timed to one sequence. I have the 1602WgMP3 controller so I run on a SD card and the controller is outside.

MikeH

I have been following this for the same reason as Dawgsteve, and have a question.  I understand the sequenceing part but what is the trigger to run the video,  Or is the video just running a loop and not really timed to one sequence. I have the 1602WgMP3 controller so I run on a SD card and the controller is outside.

To put it simply, instead of using an audio clip with your sequence, you use a video clip. Put the video you are going to use with your sequence into the LOR audio folder. Associate that video with the sequence.  If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

MikeH

To get the video off the DVD:

If you browse a DVD using Windows Explorer you will find a folder called VIDEO_TS. Find the largest file in there (there may be several parts) that ends in VOB. Copy that file to your desktop and change the VOB extension to mpg.

• 3 weeks later...

What I would like to know is there a projector that will automatically turn on and start up when the your LOR show plays that file or is it something where you are going to have to make sure the projector is already powered on.  Or do you turn have to turn the projector on at the beginning of the night and run some kind of video clip over it continuous?. 

Thanks Roy I really like that.  Since I do not have a  window that I could show it out I would have to build a little building that I could keep heated to keep the projector in.  Was wondering how going out the window would effect the quality but can see that will  not be an issue.  Just wondering what you have found as a good source to pick up the video from.  I take you just take the video and your own sound to it. The timer on your project turns it on and off for you every night and you have had no issues with it running that long the whole season?

Duane

Hi Duane,

If I understand what you are wondering about, you would use existing video (see link below) or compile/create a video montage of your own (if you have the resources) based on the music track you want to use.  If during the music you don't want any video displayed, that portion would just be a blank/black background output, or something similar.  So in LOR, you would just play and assign the video file instead of the audio file to your sequences, and make sure to output to your projector as well.  You should have no issues running the projector all season if you can schedule the projector to turn on and off each evening (30 days x 5 hours per day = ~150 hours lamp life consumed for one season).  Just make sure the projector is protected from the weather (and thieves), unless there's an all weather sealed projector available!

Here's a link to about 50 Christmas videos you can use, and some additional information:

http://www.christmasatthegoods.com/VideoCoop/

Enjoy!

-Roy

• Like 1