Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting the computer to recognize the iDMX

LightsByGreg

I went to test out my iDMX today but I am having problems getting the comp to recognize it.
On my first try, I had to set the computer to search for 240 units to find the device. It did find it, but when I went into the console to control the lights, it gave a runtime error.

Now I can't get the machine to recognize the device at all. It will search for all 240 units but it cannot find anything. Yes, I tried restarting and unplugging the usb adapter, network cable, and the 12v adaptor for the iDMX. What gives?

My specs:
WinXP Home
2.4 GHz Pentium 4
256 MB RAM
Hardware utility 1.6.6

Greg

I still cannot find the device using the search function, but the status led does turn to solid when I enter "E0" in the box next to refresh. I can go into the console and select my unit, but I still get the runtime error

Greg

Isn't it great how you can spend hours messing with this stuff and get no where and then one call to LOR has it fixed in 5 minutes?

Dan had me go into the hardware utility, set it to change any unit, and set the new id to 10. It works great now!

Thanks LOR, once again, excellent support!
Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hope someone can help. For Halloween I used the iDMX - hardware utility 1.6.6 found it without problem, and the 1.6.1 LOR ran 2 controllers plus the iDMX without problem. I didn't change any settings on the iDMX.

So now that I have almost all of my Christmas stuff up, I started plugging everything into controllers. Running a test tonight I had 6 controllers plus the iDMX, and hardware utility 2.0 couldn't find the iDMX when the other 6 controllers were on. It didn't find the iDMX when it was the only thing plugged in either.

Reading this thread I set my iDMX to ID 10. The hardware utility would find it when it was plugged in alone, but when plugged in with the 6 controllers the iDMX wasn't found anymore.

If it helps, prior to me changing the iDMX to ID 10 - the console could still control the DMX fixture (when set to E0), just not controllable with the sequence editor. After changing to ID 10 neither the console nor the sequence editor could access/find the iDMX.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

medman2000 wrote:

Hope someone can help. For Halloween I used the iDMX - hardware utility 1.6.6 found it without problem, and the 1.6.1 LOR ran 2 controllers plus the iDMX without problem. I didn't change any settings on the iDMX.

So now that I have almost all of my Christmas stuff up, I started plugging everything into controllers. Running a test tonight I had 6 controllers plus the iDMX, and hardware utility 2.0 couldn't find the iDMX when the other 6 controllers were on. It didn't find the iDMX when it was the only thing plugged in either.

Reading this thread I set my iDMX to ID 10. The hardware utility would find it when it was plugged in alone, but when plugged in with the 6 controllers the iDMX wasn't found anymore.

If it helps, prior to me changing the iDMX to ID 10 - the console could still control the DMX fixture (when set to E0), just not controllable with the sequence editor. After changing to ID 10 neither the console nor the sequence editor could access/find the iDMX.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

When the iDMX is connected alone and the Refresh locates it, how many units are found when you click "Refresh" ?

What is Max Unit set to in the top Right of the screen?

Thanks
Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

medman2000 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

When the iDMX is connected alone and the Refresh locates it, how many units are found when you click "Refresh" ?

What is Max Unit set to in the top Right of the screen?

Thanks
Dan

When iDMX is the only thing plugged in, after I set its ID to 10, refresh would find 6 DMX units (numbered 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15). I initially had 21 set on the upper right, then changed to 33 and hit refresh again, same thing.

I ultimately will be connecting 20 controllers plus the iDMX within the next few days if that helps.

Thanks!

medman2000 wrote:

When iDMX is the only thing plugged in, after I set its ID to 10, refresh would find 6 DMX units (numbered 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15). I initially had 21 set on the upper right, then changed to 33 and hit refresh again, same thing.

I ultimately will be connecting 20 controllers plus the iDMX within the next few days if that helps.

Thanks!

"6 DMX units (numbered 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)" is the correct value when max Units is set to 21...

If you plan on having 20 controllers I would put the iDMX up at ID 20. Set you Max Units to 48. Exit the Hardware Utility to make sure the 48 sticks and then restart the hardware utility and do the Refresh.

When the iDMX is not located (other units attached) does the LOR status LED on the iDMX stop blinking?

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

medman2000 wrote:

Thanks!

"6 DMX units (numbered 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)" is the correct value when max Units is set to 21...

If you plan on having 20 controllers I would put the iDMX up at ID 20. Set you Max Units to 48. Exit the Hardware Utility to make sure the 48 sticks and then restart the hardware utility and do the Refresh.

When the iDMX is not located (other units attached) does the LOR status LED on the iDMX stop blinking?

Dan

Very good, I'll try it as soon as I get home from work. I may be confusing things in my mind after trying so many different combinations last night, but I know for sure at least one light on the iDMX was blinking when the other units were attached, I can't remember but I think the other side was solid red. I'll confirm that again tonight too.

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks Dan! Setting max units to 48, and setting iDMX to ID 20 worked. I hit refresh and it found 16 "iDMX units", and when I connected another controller it found the new controller too. Sequence ran and controlled the dmx fixture just fine.

Thanks!!

• The topic was locked