Light-O-Rama Forums

Planning for next year, do I have this right?

Bowshock

Hi All,

I really like the idea of a E1.31 network so I've been researching what I would have to do.  I'm revamping my show next year so now is a great time to make the transition.  

To run an E1.31 I would need to set all my LOR controllers to DMX mode, then run cat 5 from my computer to a switch.  From the switch I would run a cable to an E682 to control my 16 string pixel tree.  From a different port on the switch I would run cable to my LOR cmb24s.  Is that correct?

If I use 5v pixels, will the E682 power them or will I have to add a power source?  Does the power source connect to E682 or directly to the strings.

Thanks all!!

You don't need to change all your lor controllers to dmx leave them on their own network the e1-31 is on a lan line completely separate from everty thing else

Dennis is correct.. I run a LOR network over ELLs and I run an E1.31 network over a wireless Ethernet bridge.  They run at the same time and play together well.

<snip>

To run an E1.31 I would need to set all my LOR controllers to DMX mode, then run cat 5 from my computer to a switch.  From the switch I would run a cable to an E682 to control my 16 string pixel tree.  From a different port on the switch I would run cable to my LOR cmb24s.  Is that correct?

If I use 5v pixels, will the E682 power them or will I have to add a power source?  Does the power source connect to E682 or directly to the strings.

Regarding the first paragraph - NO!  You would be mixing ethernet and RS-485 which will likely damage one or the other.  Although the LOR network runs on the same cable and connecter as a computer LAN it is NOT ethernet.  Mixing the two can damage hardware.

You can run ethernet cable from the LAN port on your computer to the E682 (with or without going through a switch), and then use your existing RS-485 adapter and cable to your LOR controllers as you are doing this year.  There is no need to change them to DMX mode.  The exception to this is if you want to drive the LOR controllers off a port on your E682 with that cluster set for DMX mode output.

Because of the issue with LOR networking vs E1.31 networking using the same cable and connector, I exclusively use different cable colors for different purposes.  My RS-485 for LOR networking is on purple cable and E1.31 is on green cable - and blue is my normal house LAN, white is my WiFi subnet, Red is internet, and grey is another dedicated subnet.

As for your second question, I have 960 5V pixels being driven by an E682.  I have a Ray Wu 70 amp 5V power supply connected to the E682 (you do have to change a couple jumpers for the 5V power source), and then the 16 strings connectors supply power, ground, and data to my 2811 strings.

Dennis is correct.. I run a LOR network over ELLs and I run an E1.31 network over a wireless Ethernet bridge. They run at the same time and play together well.

It works well. I was thinking of this and haven't gotten around to ask.