Light-O-Rama Forums

Running more than one E682

zanclus

There is no on-board provision for daisy chaining.  Many of us put a small 5V network switch (~$10) in the same enclosure (it can be powered directly from a terminal on the E682) for this purpose.

For this year I will be just using 1 E682, I have not had a lot of time to look into them deeper other then a few questions here and  a little reading, i just saw on the San Device website that they could be daisy chained.So does the computer recognize them better being on a switch?

For this year I will be just using 1 E682, I have not had a lot of time to look into them deeper other then a few questions here and  a little reading, i just saw on the San Device website that they could be daisy chained.So does the computer recognize them better being on a switch?

Need to use a switch. There is a dedicated +5VDC power output connector to power a small ethernet switch on the board.

There is no on-board provision for daisy chaining. Many of us put a small 5V network switch (~$10) in the same enclosure (it can be powered directly from a terminal on the E682) for this purpose.

For this year I will be just using 1 E682, I have not had a lot of time to look into them deeper other then a few questions here and a little reading, i just saw on the San Device website that they could be daisy chained.So does the computer recognize them better being on a switch?

You read wrong. They cannot be daisy-chained. There is only one cat-5 port on the e682. You would use an Ethernet switch and connect them all to that.

Each one has a configurable IP address, which is how they are identified and sent data.

You read wrong. They cannot be daisy-chained. There is only one cat-5 port on the e682. You would use an Ethernet switch and connect them all to that. Each one has a configurable IP address, which is how they are identified and sent data.

I went back and read the info on the webpage, i did read it wrong. After you guys said that I noticed what it meant.

Tim You mentioned  tat  the  E682 has a dedicated 5vdc output, does that output  put our 5vdc even  if  I  am  using  12vdc to  power my controller and  pixels? Thanks for  all the   great  info.

Tim You mentioned  tat  the  E682 has a dedicated 5vdc output, does that output  put our 5vdc even  if  I  am  using  12vdc to  power my controller and  pixels? Thanks for  all the   great  info.

It does!  The board steps the voltage down to 5V via an on-board DC-DC power supply, then to 3.xV for the internal circuitry.  This jack taps in at the 5V location.

Can someone go into deeper details on hooking up two E682s.with a switch?

Right now I have my computer set to a hard IP address 192.168.0.1 (might be 192.168.1.1)

My current E682 has the address of 192.168.1.206.

If I was to add another board through a switch what would a workable IP address be with my current config?

Thanks

Joel Dearing

Indy, IN

Can someone go into deeper details on hooking up two E682s.with a switch?

Right now I have my computer set to a hard IP address 192.168.0.1 (might be 192.168.1.1)

My current E682 has the address of 192.168.1.206.

If I was to add another board through a switch what would a workable IP address be with my current config?

Thanks

Joel Dearing

Indy, IN

Any unused IP in your subnet.  Probably 192.168.1.2, unless you're using that somewhere else...

That looks like a nice switch, and cheaper than the Netgear unmanaged 5 port switches I used last year.  I got a closeout deal and bought them at a local store for about $10ea after rebate if I recall, but was looking at having to fork over about $17ea at TigerDirect for our 2014 display.   I think I'll give these a try.  Thanks for the tip Tim. 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=383560&csid=61

That looks like a nice switch, and cheaper than the Netgear unmanaged 5 port switches I used last year.  I got a closeout deal and bought them at a local store for about $10ea after rebate if I recall, but was looking at having to fork over about $17ea at TigerDirect for our 2014 display.   I think I'll give these a try.  Thanks for the tip Tim. 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=383560&csid=61

I'll pile on to Tim's recommendation. I had 2 of the trendnet switches in my display last year as well. Worked flawlessly. Even in -20F temperatures. I'm buying 2 more for 2014.

also id like to add you may find that you ll need to run 2 either net cards if your going to have internet while the show is running  e 131 is a bandwidth hog and can and will slow down your internet speed. altho i know there are those who ll jump in here and say not but i ran 8 lor ac units and 2 682s with 4 684s this year with no issues s with 2 cards and terribly slow net speeds while runing 1 card also turn off all system sounds  and turn off microsoft updates during  your lighting season if your using your computer to play display music ok boys pile on