Light-O-Rama Forums

Running more than one E682

zanclus

I would liketo run another E682 via E1.31. What other equipment would I need to do this? Also do I give each E682 its own IP address? I currently am running the E1.31 directly from my laptop with no issues using S3.

typically you would run a network cable from the laptop to a network switch. Then assign each E682 a seperate IP address and attach them to the network switch. To make life easier, never assign any of your e682's the default new address in case you buy another or have to reset one of your existing.

You can leave your wireless on and connect to the internet over it but most would not recommend doing that for many different reasons.

Many of us are using a little 5-port switch by Trendnet and putting it right inside with the controller.  It can actually be powered by the E682 itself.  Then you just daisy-chain things together like LOR boxes.

Yes, each device needs a distinct IP address.

Many of us are using a little 5-port switch by Trendnet and putting it right inside with the controller.  It can actually be powered by the E682 itself.  Then you just daisy-chain things together like LOR boxes.

Yes, each device needs a distinct IP address.

Tim,  Would you have a link for the Trendiest switch?

Yes Tim, tell us more if you would. From what I am seeing of the TEG series. They look like they are powered up from a 5VDC source or the power cube that comes with them. I am not sure, but the 5g looks the best for bufffer memory. But maybe I am missing something. So, which unit is everyone running? I notie that they have a minimum temperature of 32F and up to 90% humidity, none conducting of course.

Just ordered one for $12.   According to the specs. Operating temperature is 32-120f   I live in upstate N.Y.   Temperature gets near 0  here sometimes. Will that be an issue?  Would I need to insulate? 

Just ordered one for $12.   According to the specs. Operating temperature is 32-120f   I live in upstate N.Y.   Temperature gets near 0  here sometimes. Will that be an issue?  Would I need to insulate? 

It was nearly -10 below the other night and it didn't seem to bother it.  It's inside with a controller and PS so it's probably a little warmer in the box, but not much I bet. 

The E682 has a 5V output that will power it perfectly too.

Crap I wish we could edit posts.... (This will get auto-merged into my prior post)

I wanted to also note that the same switch served me all last season plus this one so ar, and we got plenty cold last season too.  Don't want to jinx myself but it seems happy to run out of spec a bit temp-wise.

Thanks Tim,

I ordered one also here the other day. 12 bucks and free shipping. How can anyone beat that price and the fact that someone else has already did field testing.

Again, thanks Tim

Max

Merry Christmas

Thanks Tim,

I ordered one also here the other day. 12 bucks and free shipping. How can anyone beat that price and the fact that someone else has already did field testing.

Again, thanks Tim

Max

Merry Christmas

You are very welcome - I got the idea from others that were using it before me.  Merry Christmas to you as well.

I'm looking to get into E682 for next year.

From what I have read so far this uses the standard network/Ethernet port from the computer, Right?

Yes.  You use the network connection. You can hook up one device to the computer or with a network switch multiple devices.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought you could just Daisy Chain the 682's like you do controllers?

There is no on-board provision for daisy chaining.  Many of us put a small 5V network switch (~$10) in the same enclosure (it can be powered directly from a terminal on the E682) for this purpose.

RS-485 that the LOR network uses has to be daisy chained. Its just the way it is with RS-485.. While E1.31 is encapsulated into TCP/IP. So with this protocol you can use standard network switches like the kind you would use in a computer network.

Tim, I see that some of the network switches are unmanaged and others it does not say.  What is the difference?  

I will have 4 San Devices this year and was planning on using this switch,

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-EZXS88W-EtherFast-8-Port-Workgroup/dp/B00003006K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390266232&sr=8-1&keywords=linksys+10%2F100+8+port                  

Since I already own it.  What do you think?

Thanks!

Tim, I see that some of the network switches are unmanaged and others it does not say.  What is the difference?  

I will have 4 San Devices this year and was planning on using this switch,

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-EZXS88W-EtherFast-8-Port-Workgroup/dp/B00003006K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390266232&sr=8-1&keywords=linksys+10%2F100+8+port                  

Since I already own it.  What do you think?

Thanks!

That one should work, but you probably can't power it from the 682 as most switches are 9V or 12V. 

This one is 5V (so you can power it from the board), really cheap, and really all you'd need:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-GREENnet-Ethernet-TE100-S5/dp/B000M2TAN4