Light-O-Rama Forums

bwolcott

Hello all. Question? I want to run a wireless setup with the mini Director. I made generic diagram below of what I was thinking and would like to know if it was posible somehow.

Here is the standard setup

LOR-BasicLayoutWithShowTime-Central-600x

What I want to do is get rid of the hard wire between the mini director and the controllers. like this

wifi-posiblei.gif

Page 4 of the ELL manual indicates you can attach a director to the ELL to transmit to your controllers.

www.lightorama.com/PDF/RF-V4_Man_Web.pdf

Unless you have a very specific reason why you can't run cat5 to the controllers (such as having to cross a street), this seems like an expensive option though.

Nice thank you... Yes I have the director in a spot that would requir a cat cable to be run over 200 feet and there is lots of foot and automotive traffic in between. The extra expense would be much cheaper than a lawsuit. Again thank you.

Hummm just read page 4. So it looks like i will also need the LOR USB485B adapter?

"The USB485B USB-to-RS485 adapter has a power supply in it for the transceiver"

So a cat5 would go from the ELL to the USB485B adapter then another cat5 from LOR USB485B adapter to the Mini Director?

Hummm just read page 4. So it looks like i will also need the LOR USB485B adapter?

"The USB485B USB-to-RS485 adapter has a power supply in it for the transceiver"

So a cat5 would go from the ELL to the USB485B adapter then another cat5 from LOR USB485B adapter to the Mini Director?

Sounds right to me.

According to your pics you posted your going to be running your show from a MP3 director and not directly from the computer.  If this is correct you won't need the USB485B adapter.  That adapter is used when you want to attach a ELL directly to your computer.  Your controller will provide the power for the ELL transmitter/receiver.   As I have recently discovered the USB port does not have enough power to power the ELL transmitter.  That is why this adapter is needed.  It's cold outdoors these days (9 degrees F last night)  I had plans on taking my laptop out to the car at the end of the driveway to make modification to my sequences.  That's when I discovered I needed the USB485B adapter.

Just so there's no confusion.  The pics show the MP3 director attached to a controller.  My previous post does not apply if your attempting to attach the MP3 director by itself directly to an ELL.  The MP3 director does not have a USB port on it.  Normally the MP3 director has to be attached to a controller in order to receive power.  There is the ability to provide external power to the MP3 director.  I do not know if that's enough to provide power to the ELL though.  Someone else will have to chime in on that one.

• 1 month later...

I might have missed something here,

Could you not simply place the Mini With the first controller ?? (this would require you going TO the mini to change SD cards). I realize this might not be an option (if running 2 separate houses on the same mini).

I have about 1200 feet of Cat5 cable (strung in the trees) over our driveway to our controllers some 1000 feet from our house.

I do understand this might be an issue if crossing a street or such.....

Just trying to help with options.....

Greg

Oh, BTW if you have a Cat5 Crimper and are not bad with soldering, you can power the ELL with a wall-wart type AC adaptor with a slight MOD on a Cat5 cable or build a special cable. can show you what I did, if you need.

Edited by a31ford