Light-O-Rama Forums

Total E682 ws2811 newbie where do i start?

dito

i have been doing RGB/  LOR controllers for several years. Now I want to get into pixels. I've been told to get a Sandevice E682 and some WS2811 strips and/or pixel nodes. Where do I go to learn how to :

-hook up everything up

-program

-have LOR talk to E682

maybe I'm alreaduy in over my head but pixels look so DAMN COOL!

i have been doing RGB/  LOR controllers for several years. Now I want to get into pixels. I've been told to get a Sandevice E682 and some WS2811 strips and/or pixel nodes. Where do I go to learn how to :

-hook up everything up

-program

-have LOR talk to E682

There are a number of options of pixel controllers out there.  I think it depends on what you are doing on what model/style to get.  Sandevice has the E682 and the E6804. Joshua 1 Systems Inc. has a number of products for multiple needs.

I would suggest looking at the post on this forum.

Go to the link below and read the manual Fast Eddie created explaining E131 and how to configure and use it. I believe you will need to join the forum in order to download the pdf.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1211.0.html

The Australia forum is a great place to belong to anyway...they have several of tehse How-To type manuals available on their site.

-Paul

I concur with Paul, that manual is a must! Also, look at the various types of pixels,  what people are saying on them...not all are created equal.  You will see the name Ray Wu floated around quite a bit as the inexpensive supplier on the majority of the forums. He stands behind his product, which I'm about to test firsthand...the 2811's you speak of, this year, there was a batch or 2 with bad IC's in them...so always build in a failure rate of 10% or so, to your order...just for grins and giggles...if you were one of the peeps who got strings from the bad batches, you couldn't build in enough failure rate...

Anything that you get from overseas, test ALL of it...I spot checked, and that lead to alot of dissappointment and late nights to get things up and running...unless your wife likes you to be out soldering in the garage at midnight on a Saturday, then spot checking is sufficient  : )

The 682 is a solid controller, I have 5 of them...

You hear 682 or  E682 a lot. But there is a new unit that has been out for the past 6 months or so, the E6804. It only has 4 connectors for pixels, but it is a little power house. Cheaper, smaller and will handle a good number of strips. So, if your needs are smaller than what you would need a 682 for, you might look at this little gem.

• 3 weeks later...

Joshua Systems's site appears to be down for orders. They don't offer the controller cards on their Ebay store. Not sure if they closed up shop or what. I emailed them but no response so far. I was wanting their ECG-P12R. Any other card that might work in place of this card?

All the ECG cards can only be ordered via e-mail. Usually Ed responses pretty fast, if he does not respond within a few days, just re-send the e-mail... Sometimes he just gets super busy...

Ed did email me back and instead of the P12R, the older card, I'm going to try the P12S which is his latest and greatest. This is my first move into RGB so will hope I can get it to work.

Ed did email me back and instead of the P12R, the older card, I'm going to try the P12S which is his latest and greatest. This is my first move into RGB so will hope I can get it to work.

Post info and documentation on the P12S if you have it. Sounds interesting and isn't on his website yet.

-hook up everything up

-program

-have LOR talk to E682

See these related posts: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/29077-ge-color-effects/?p=271189

I bought a P12S back in August and have been using it ever since. It worked great throughout my entire show. I can't say the same for my Ray Wu pixels. The GUI is the same as the P12R from what I can tell and thanks to the Australian Christmas Lights manual on setting up the P12R, getting it to work was painless. My only issue was two times after I had unplugged it to work on my wiring and then plugged it back in, when the show came on later, outputs 7 and 8 were not working. To fix it I simply unplugged it again while the show was running and plugged it back in to reboot it essentially and all was well.

Post info and documentation on the P12S if you have it. Sounds interesting and isn't on his website yet.

I don't have anything on this specific board yet other than what "ryebred" shared with me on the P12R. Hopefully something will come with it. I should get it early next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm really interested in the answer to the third part of the original question: how to make the E682 work/talk over the network. (I've got older style 6803 pixels working just fine with a serial connection)  No opinions of other hardware, please, as I've GOT an E682 (firmware 4.033), self-test works, but I can't get it to respond to either LOR or xLights Nutcracker (with LOR completely shut down)--all it does is sit there running the self-test (and the ones over 10 are pretty bright with a WS2812 pixel strip!  But, got one dead green led in the middle, darn it.).  Same subnet, wired, so no gateways/routers getting in the way.  Tried unicast, multicast, only one universe (2), one connector (4-1), etc..  Never see any "packets" in the E682 web page indicating it's getting ANYTHING in the way of DMX commands.

Obviously I'm missing something, but so far I'm at a loss to figure it out.

Edited by scubabeme

Since you have a test pattern, seems like you have got it set up on the configuration page for the 682 itself.  Before trying to do anything thru LOR or nutcracker, did you actually turn the lights off on the test pattern? If you haven't, it won't read anything from the other software.  The easiest way to figure it out from there is to see the configuration page from LOR and Sandevices 682 page, to make sure you have them both set up correctly.  

if your testing the Pixels using LOR you need to also have your LOR the USB /RJ45 connector dongle pluged into you computer you don't need to connect it to a controler just have it in the port. sounds silly but will help with letting lor know to communicate.

Won't work if you have test patterns running.

Would help if you posted a screenshot of your e682 config page, plus screenshot of xlights output setup or output setup of S3. Also, if using S3, you must have advanced to output e1.31 data.

Thanks for all the replies.  Dummy me, I missed the part in the E682 instructions where it said to turn off the self-test.  That fixed it. (bang head on desk...)

• Like 1