Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you have a light show inside too?

EvilM0nkey

I didn't have this issue last year at a different house, but I have a LOT more lights in my show this year.

During some of the more intense sequences I'm getting an inversed show inside of my house (when the show lights go on, some of the lights in the house dim).

Is this a normal thing? My show lights are 98% LED so It's hard to believe that I'm pulling that much power. I'm playing music and LOUD, but I get the flashing even with the music off. I have a static display too (see signature) but very little of it flashes. Also the audio, show lights and static display are all on different circuits.

I occasionally have this issue, depending on what I have going on in my yard.  It first started happening when I was running incandescent lights, and my electrician told me that I was overloading the circuits.  So this year, I swapped them out and am running 90% LED, and the same thing still happens.  It gets to the point where the lights in my kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, and foyer all flicker and dim to the music.  Am supposed to have my electrician out this week to look at it and see what he says.

My next option may be to just run a couple of circuits out to the garage, since I think I could be overloading circuits, and see if that possibly solves it.

I have heard, though, that depending on how much power you pull when an item first turns on, the electrical panel cannot handle that load, so you get a slight 1-2 second dim/flicker on lights.  This usually happens when I turn on my 60" Plasma HDTV, where every light in the house will flicker when that puppy turns on.  But, again, I'm no electrical expert so don't take my word for it.

I could separate the circuits out and run a cord through the window and see if that helps. Not a bad idea! It's a little annoying to have the lights flickering at dinner or anywhere else in the house!

I had the problem a couple years ago with mostly incads in my display.  Last year was about 60% led and about 90% led also with high powered leds and not seeing any issue.  It does make for nice bragging rights with your friends!

Other than being annoying, it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. There is another thread where the guy has all kinds of noises around the house too. So I'll say I have it better than some!