Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR CC* -> DMX. Lets you use CC* in the visualizer and DMX in the show.

khawes

I have a 12x50 pixel tree, that is running via DMX.  Needless to say it requires 600 fixtures to function in the visualizer.  (If I'm wrong please tell me, and how to get around it)  Now adding just about anything to new to the visualizer exceeds its limits and causes it to crash. :(  

I started to think that If I was able to create the tree in the visualizer using CCBs or CCRs then it's only 12 fixtures, AND I can use the tree wizard in the visualizer, so...

I created LOR2DMX which is a Java program that will read all the sequences in a directory convert the channels from LOR to DMX (or vice versa) and spit them out into another directory.

You specify the configuration in a file using the JSON data format.  (Not that hard)

Here's a sample that handles my tree.:

{
    "sourceDirectory": "s:\\Light-O-Rama\\Sequences\\Christmas\\2013",
    "destDirectory": "s:\\Light-O-Rama\\Sequences\\Christmas",
    "mappings":[
        {
            "name": "mega tree",
            "From": {
                "protocol": "LOR",
                "network": "D",
                "units": [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12],
                "startChannel": 1,
                "maxChannel": 150
            },
            "To": {
                "protocol":"DMX",
                "universes": [1,2,3,4],
                "startChannel": 1,
                "maxChannel": 510
            }
        }
    ]
}

LOR "Units" are specified as decimal numbers (e.g. Unit A is 10)  if this is troublesome, let me know and I can fix that. 

Anyway if you want to give it a try, install the Java 7 runtime and give it a try.  BACKUP FIRST!

You run it like this:   Java -jar LOR2DMX. jar config_file_name
You can add "-reverse"  (Java -jar LOR2DMX. jar config_file_name -reverse) and it will run in reverse which is good for getting your sequences into LOR CC*s to begin with.

At this point error handling is nonexistent, so if you want to give it a try consider yourself an alpha tester, & let me know what you think,  Enough rambling... You can download it here:
P.S. You can have more than one mapping and the "name" field is not used by the program and is to help you remember which mapping is for which prop/controller.
P.P.S. If both to and from use the LOR protocol you can move controller numbers around :)

• Like 1

Already on version 1.0.1 

java -jar LOR2DMS -help will give instruction and there are helpful error messages.

Added error messages and LOR Units/controllers are in HEX to match the LOR sequencer and visualizer.

e.g. "units" : [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,"A","B","C","D","E","F",10,11,12]

link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmfzz76lapfhhh5/LOR2DMX.jar

• 2 weeks later...

nothing seams to happen when i run this . I might not be doing something right or not looking in the proper file folder.

I ran this from  windows run

I made a 12 string mega tree and saved the file as testtree.lee. I ran the config file like this( Java -jar LOR2DMX. jar config_testtree_lee ) and using( testtree.lee ) for the file name. I'm shure i am just missing something. I am wanting to add smart strings for next year and trying to figure out what needed before I start buying the dmx controllers for practice.

Ronald, The filename you five the tool is the name of your configuration file.   the configuration file tells the program what channels to convert over to DMS, and what directory contains the sequences that you want converted. 

I suspect that there was an error message along the lines of: 

"missing: sourceDirectory"

since you are specifying the visualization file instead of a configuration file that looks similar to the one in the original post. 

background:

There are limitations in the visualizer that are quickly reached using DMX pixels that are not as quickly encountered if you use Cosmic Color Ribbons/Bulbs/Pixels.  So the idea is to visualize and sequence pretending you have all LOR CC? equipment and then when you are done use this program to change the channel information in the actual sequence files (*.LMS and *.LAS) using mapping (or mappings) provided in the configuration file. 

Java -jar LOR2DMX.jar -help 

will show the latest help page.

Java -jar LOR2DMX.jar -changes

will show what's changed in the most recent few versions. 

I wish LOR would just support DMX devices.  The visualizer and Superstar are useless to me until they do.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Didn't know this tool was available. Will have to try it out in a few months when I want to convert my ccr sequences to regular dmx. Thanks.

Didn't know this tool was available. Will have to try it out in a few months when I want to convert my ccr sequences to regular dmx. Thanks.

Please PM me if you need any help when the time comes to build the configuration file. 

Keith,

Just wanted to let you know that I downloaded the Java program, created the config file, built a quick tree in visualizer, ran it though Superstar and added a couple of effects, exported the Superstar file to the sequencer and ran the Java pgm against it.

Once I got the config file set up right, it worked perfectly.

The only issue I had to work around was that I set up the original CCR configuration to use the "Regular" network and started the LOR device ID at 0B (11).

I could never get the "Regular" network to convert so I reran the channel wizard and set it to "A", updated the config file and ran it again. This time it worked.

It always appeared to go through the process (ie. nothing kicked out saying anything was or wasn't converted).

I didn't know if it did, until I opened the new (converted) sequence file.

I understand the LOR device ID... OA is 10, 0B is 11 etc ...

How would you use the "Regular" network? I tried "Regular" but never could get it to convert.

Thanks for a GREAT app.. something I will certainly use...

Bob

• Like 1

Keith,

May need to look at color conversion.

After doing a simple sequence to test the conversion app, I noticed a couple of things.

1. Without a live setup, I cant tell by looking but it seems there may be holes in the conversion. I will change my sequence from an up and down spiral to just straight up and down and see if I can see it then..

2. The whites are appearing in the sequencer as pink... I recall this discussion in the forum .. somewhere .. Something about the way that CCR's (SuperStar) create white ... shows up pink in the sequencer but is perfect on the CCR's...

However... I don't know if the CCR to DMX translation will create the same color..

Any thoughts or real experiments to go by?

Bob

Changed sequence to a sweep down morph .. red to white .. no holes .. what I was seeing (I believe) was just the spiral .. so its good ..

Color may still be an issue.

Edited by bob_moody

Keith,

May need to look at color conversion.

After doing a simple sequence to test the conversion app, I noticed a couple of things.

1. Without a live setup, I cant tell by looking but it seems there may be holes in the conversion. I will change my sequence from an up and down spiral to just straight up and down and see if I can see it then..

2. The whites are appearing in the sequencer as pink... I recall this discussion in the forum .. somewhere .. Something about the way that CCR's (SuperStar) create white ... shows up pink in the sequencer but is perfect on the CCR's...

However... I don't know if the CCR to DMX translation will create the same color..

Any thoughts or real experiments to go by?

Bob

Changed sequence to a sweep down morph .. red to white .. no holes .. what I was seeing (I believe) was just the spiral .. so its good ..

Color may still be an issue.

I went to SuperStar's configuration and checked the "Export Raw Color Values" box.  That seemed to make my whites white instead of pink.

I did not know that (there's a surprise!!!). I will check that out tonight when I get home.

Thanks Keith.

Keith,

Just wanted to let you know that I downloaded the Java program, created the config file, built a quick tree in visualizer, ran it though Superstar and added a couple of effects, exported the Superstar file to the sequencer and ran the Java pgm against it.

Once I got the config file set up right, it worked perfectly.

The only issue I had to work around was that I set up the original CCR configuration to use the "Regular" network and started the LOR device ID at 0B (11).

I could never get the "Regular" network to convert so I reran the channel wizard and set it to "A", updated the config file and ran it again. This time it worked.

It always appeared to go through the process (ie. nothing kicked out saying anything was or wasn't converted).

I didn't know if it did, until I opened the new (converted) sequence file.

I understand the LOR device ID... OA is 10, 0B is 11 etc ...

How would you use the "Regular" network? I tried "Regular" but never could get it to convert.

Thanks for a GREAT app.. something I will certainly use...

Bob

LOR Devices Ids are Hexidecimal (0 to F), and I've matched that in the config file too.

For the regulat network I thnk all you need to do is leave out the network setting completely.  I have this in my configuration file to remove channels that are part of my background sequence (so they don't get turned off at the end of a music sequence).  Notice the missing "network:" in the From section. :

{
            name: "background",
                protocol: LOR,
                units: [5],
                startChannel: 1,
                maxChannel: 3
            },
            To: {
                network: B,
                units: [5],
                maxChannel: 3
            }
        },

I did not know that (there's a surprise!!!). I will check that out tonight when I get home. Thanks Keith.

Your Welcome.  

What did you put for the network in the configuration when you tried with the regular network?  Did you use the word "Regular"?  I'd like to make the configuration as intuitive as I can since I don'e have a nice user interface.

Yes. I had the word "Regular", in quotes. It apparently did not match and was ignored.

Yes. I had the word "Regular", in quotes. It apparently did not match and was ignored.

It was looking for the R network in your sequences, which of course it did not find because LOR only supports regular and A through O.  

I've build version 1.0.6, and now you can use "R", "Regular" or leave out the network line if you are specifying the LOR regular network.   

Thanks for the feed back.

Tip on SS Config looks like it does the trick.

The whites appear white now instead of pink...

I suppose if I would RTFM .. I would be a lot better off.. LOL ..

Will DL the newest build an test the network updates..

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Keith is that dropbox link still good? Because it tells me.

Nothing Here 

The file you're looking for has been deleted or moved.

• 4 months later...

I've released version 1.07, which will allow you to swap controllers.  Here's and example of swapping controller 1 and Controller A, on the Regular LOR network:

{
    sourceDirectory: "s:\\Light-O-Rama\\Sequences\\Halloween\\2014",
    destDirectory: "s:\\Light-O-Rama\\Sequences\\Halloween",
    mappings:[
        {
            name: "swap 1-A",
                network: Regular,
                units: [1],
                maxChannel: 16
            },