Light-O-Rama Forums

Background sequences

Guest guest

Picking up from the background sequences thread from the old forum, I still cannot get a background sequence to turn on X10 controllers.

I have an 8 channel LOR controller connected to COMM1....everything works fine. I have a CM11A connected to COMM2. When I start the Hardware Utility, it defaults to COMM1 for the LOR controller. When I tab to the page for CM11A, the field for the port is blank. The dropdown gives me choices of None, COMM1, COMM2. I select COMM2, successfully initialize the CM11A, and can use the ON and OFF buttons to turn on and off the 4 X10 modules (C-1 through C-4). I have a background sequence with 4 channels (all assigned to device type X10) and they are assigned to C-1 through C-4. The background sequence lasts 1 minute and each channel is ON for the entire sequence. This sequence will not turn on the X10 modules (I have "Control Lights" checked under the Play menu.

When I go back to the Hardware Utility, I do have to reselect COMM2 for the CM11A (it doesn't remember this from the last time I ran it....perhaps this the cause of my problem? I don't see any kind of a save button.). After reselecting COMM2, the X10 modules respond as expected.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sounds like the Hardware Uility is not saving the setting. It should ask you if you want to use that channel for your shows when you select it.

So bypass the Hardware Utility,

Go to the Sequence Editor. Go to Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences

In there set LOR to com1, X10 to com2 and dasher to none.

That should get you straight.

Your suggestion did the trick!! :waycool:

I found where this info is stored in the Registry and I see that X10 is now set for COMM2, and it comes up automatically in the Hardware Utility.

I'm using an old PC running Win98 to control the lights. Don't know if there is a problem with the Hardware Utility updating the Win98 registry?

Thanks for the help, Dan.

I too am running an old PC with Win98SE. I have had no problems with this configuration, except if the X-10 Home Control Software is also running in the background. If so, start the X-10 Home program and then close the window. It asks you if you want to close the communications bridge upon exiting. Select yes. Now only LOR will assign the correct port with the CM11A. If you restart the PC for any reson, you might have to do this again. It's better not to have any X-10 software installed at all.

Glenn Koenig

Yeah, I did run into that problem, too. My old CM11A that I had for years wasn't working, and I loaded a couple of different X10 software packages to test it. But, I have them all removed now (after buying a new CM11A :().

For some reason the LOR Hardware Utility will not update the registry when I set X10 for COMM2 (it gives me the message that the port for X10 is being switched to COMM2 and confirms that this is the port I want to use for shows). But, it never updates the registry. Setting network preferences from the Sequence Editor does update the registry....go figure :snowman:

Oh well, the good news is that my X10 modules are now all working in my show. Now, as soon as I receive my second LOR controller, the X10 modules will be retired for this year. :smilingelf: