Light-O-Rama Forums

What is wrong with some people?

gwallman1

Every year, there are some visitors that I just have to scratch my head about.

Our show runs until 10:00 Sunday-Thursday nights, and 11:00 on Fridays and Saturdays.  So last night (a Saturday), I'm watching tv at 10:30.  Suddenly, it is difficult to hear the tv over someone watching the display who has their radio turned up so loud!  Come on, people, it is 10:30 at night.  It may be a Saturday night, but you never know how many young kids may live in the area and trying to sleep.....or even adults trying to sleep for that matter.

It made me think, every year there are a few times we can hear people's conversations.  They get out of their cars and stand in the street, but talk so loud we can hear them in our house as if we're all sitting in the family room having a chat.

Our walls and windows are not that thin.  We can't hear most people, so when we do we know they either have no common courtesy or are completely unaware of the noise they are making.

We're lucky that all of our neighbors enjoy the show, but having anything happen that might upset them or change their opinion is always top on my mind.  So when I hear this type of extra noise, I just cringe.  This is especially true knowing how many neighbors have school-age children.  Watching the lights from their bedroom window has to be tempting enough some nights, so noise created by visitors possibly interfering with the childrens' sleep schedule worries me.

So what types of things to visitors do around your shows that just make you cringe?

(venting now complete)

I've been known to shut off my transmitter if people crank it too loud.  I've even shut down the entire display a time or two if people were particularly misbehaving (one time a guy was honking at virtually anyone who drive by)

This is also one of the reasons I only run until 9:30 or 10pm depending on the night.

I have people that ignore the keep out signs and walk around or over the barriers and fences and go into the display itself. Often it's kids but sometimes it's adults too, like last night , a 20 something snuck around a barrier to get up close to my carousel and we had to ask him to get out of the display.

I have seen them dancing,drinking, and smoking, not cigarettes.  About the only thing I have not seen and hope I never do, is a couple "doing their thing", if you know what I mean.

I shut done at 9pm Sun-Thur and 10pm Fri-Sat... I find that Friday and Saturday I get the loud boomers and partyers..

I have a few horror stories to add. I set up a pretty big display on my church's property. I am taking this year off because-----Two years ago I had an adult shine a green laser at me when I asked him and his son to stay away from the display. Last year I was threatened with a dog when I asked the adult and his son to stay back. Also last year a kid was using seed pods from a magnolia tree to try and hit the lights on the roofline. I needed a break from the "public".

One lady parked in front of my neighbors driveway and wouldn't move when they got home. She just sat in her car texting while her kid went past my barriers and was playing in the yard. I have my barriers to protect them not the display, if they break something, I can most likely repair it but if their kid gets hurt in my yard because they tripped over something, the parents would probably sue me. Some People???

One lady parked in front of my neighbors driveway and wouldn't move when they got home. She just sat in her car texting while her kid went past my barriers and was playing in the yard. I have my barriers to protect them not the display, if they break something, I can most likely repair it but if their kid gets hurt in my yard because they tripped over something, the parents would probably sue me. Some People???

Again, you need to take control of the situation.  Shut down the display if you must.  Get the kid out of your display ASAP and talk to the parents.

I've only had that happen one time (kid running around the display), and the lady (appeared to be a grandma) was extremely apologetic.  People don't realize I'm "watching" the display more often than not, even though they can't see me do so ;)

I don't get the bass boomers from MY visitors, I get that from one of the neighors playing his damn Spanish music with the bass so damn loud it literally VIBRATES our house, the floors, has things swaying that are hung on hooks in my shed, this moron does this constantly and we've registered numerous complaints on this incosiderate bozo!  You can't even hear the music, all you can hear and feel is the bass, which also ruins it for visitors to the display when he starts his crap up.    I'd probably be in jail if I owned a shotgun, because if I did, I'd probably go over to this morons house and blast his damn bass system to smithereens in the trunk of his car.

This guy has NO RESPECT for anyone in the community and even though we have a security guard and even nouise abatment rules in place, this guy has NEVER adhered to them.

Even my other Spanish neighbors detest this guy and would love to see him evicted out of here on his a$$!  Everyone else around here respects others right to peace, quiet and tranquility, but this guy disrupts it every time he gets in his car or just turns it up sitting in his driveway, which can be heard and felt 2-3 blocks in every direction.    We've even had local law enforcement out here on him from just aboyut every neighbor and ourselves.

There are just some people that are just far too stupid and moronic to comprehend the rules are NOT just for certain people and don't apply to them!

Wish I had a nice EMP gun, then I could fry his entire car and he'd never know where or what hit him.   Be about the only way to stop this buffoon!

So it's pretty bad when it's a neighbor creating problems for folks trying to visit and enjoy a display because they refuse to turn their bass down so it can't be heard over the entire neighborhood.   But this goes on constantly, even during the off season.   Been this way since this idiot moved in here about 8 months ago.    I think even my neighbors are ready to lynch this doofus.

If he has it on a radio station set another transmitter to his channel and play Christmas music. LOL

Jeff

If he has it on a radio station set another transmitter to his channel and play Christmas music. LOL

Jeff

I did try that, he just put in a CD to prevent my "interfering" with HIS music.   Anyone got an EMP gun I can borrow? LOL

My shows end at 9p on weekdays and 10p on Friday and Saturday.

So far no damage or loud music.

Cigarette butts and trash are my main problem.

But I do think people are for the most part inconsiderate anymore. No one seems to care about others, Even at Christmas time.

I did try that, he just put in a CD to prevent my "interfering" with HIS music.   Anyone got an EMP gun I can borrow? LOL

i would setup a speaker right where he parks his car or at least directed that way, blast Christmas music at first, if that don't work Opera does!!!

If he is renting talk to the home owner. 

Talk with the other neighbors, have them agree to call the home owner as well.  Also you could all agree to play loud music right back back, but not at night, oh no, do it when HE is likely sleeping, at 8am! 

If he is renting talk to the home owner. 

Talk with the other neighbors, have them agree to call the home owner as well.  Also you could all agree to play loud music right back back, but not at night, oh no, do it when HE is likely sleeping, at 8am! 

It's a manufactured home park and the office has over 3,000 COMPLAINTS since this idiot moved in here.

Unfortunately I don't think this guy even knows what sleep is, he will start this crap as early as 6am and run it until midnight-2am straight, especially when he knows the office isn't open or security isn't around.   My neighbors and I have called law enforcement on him REPEATEDLY, but since some moron of a lawyer got the "noise abatement law" overturned in Florda, saying it was an "infringement on the bass boomers rights" {load of manure if you ask me!} and so they tied law enforcements hands to be able to "cite" them for disturbing the peace, no matter what time of day or night!

But I guarantee if I did it, even though I own the home, but rent the lot, I'd get my butt evicted in short order, as would MY neighbors!

We already got threatened with that when we all ganged up one day and everyone that also had BASS BOOMERS in their cars turned to my FM station on their car and HOME stereoes and theatre systems to give this idiot a taste of his own medicine, all he did was just crank his up that much louder!    

I'm surprised we didn't burst a few windows that day.   

Security came and raked US over the coals, office gave us what for, and when we told them WHY we did it, they just shrugged it off for this buffoon. 

So now we're all thinking he must be related to someone that works in the office, since he constatly gets away with this crap almost daily!

So it would appear that the majority of the home owners in here have no voice, and is one reason the wife and I are looking to find another location to move to, preferably a regular house with it's own property, and even more preferably, out in no-mans land where there isn't a neighbor for a few miles!  If that's even possible anymore.

The biggest display in my area is Newton Lights. He cranks his music for his display, but is litterally in the middle of farm land. If fact parking instructions are to park by the grain silos and you sit on the train tracks. Thats where ya need to be!

My FM transmitter has two inputs. The first input I use for the music and I have a microphone connected to the other input.  The biggest problem I have is with kids running around the property.

I'll get on the microphone and say something like "Will the lady in the green volkswagen please retrieve her children from the display", they usally leave out of embarsement.

My FM transmitter has two inputs. The first input I use for the music and I have a microphone connected to the other input.  The biggest problem I have is with kids running around the property.

I'll get on the microphone and say something like "Will the lady in the green volkswagen please retrieve her children from the display", they usally leave out of embarsement.

I love that! I could do the same, my transmitter has the same inputs. My presence is out side a-lot and I would assume that helps with our guest behaving. Also on my driveway

I run laser lights on it and the kids love it! Chase the dots. Also on the weekends we are out there for most of the evening with free hot chocolate and candy canes and we have

volunteers that are there also. I do have guest that have make me cringe, Headlights on while parked, others reply back by honking, driving to fast, blocking driveways, double

parking, I do run infomercial about this and other things on how to stay off Santa's naughty list. I think it's the nature of the beast business were all in and pray nothing bad happens.