Light-O-Rama Forums

A "Relay" for my animation idea.

Salvatore Anello

I've attached an image to illustrate what I am looking for. I would love to be able to switch the output of 8 LOR channels to 8 different sets of lights. This would allow me to create 8 separate animation sequences like children throwing a snowball or Santa climbing the chimney with only 8 channels instead of 64. These 8 animations would never be shown at the same time. I am really excited about the prospect of doing this next year. Thanks!

Salvatore Anello

post-13749-0-89039300-1386520926_thumb.j

That would take 16 4pole relays....  I would work.. pretty straight forward.. just a lot of wiring..

... and not all that much cheaper than just getting a new controller.

There was a thread maybe 5 years ago over on PlanetChristmas called something like "double your controller channels for cheap" that used this principle, along with a couple of "control" LOR channels to select the proper "bank" of channels.

Personally I think it's way more hassle and work than the expense saved.

There are several ways of doing this electrically. But unless you are an electrician ( like my self) don't try it. You don't need 16 relays. It works well with 4- 4 pole break before make relays or 4 center off switches and a couple of caps for ground isolation.

• 1 month later...

I too thought of this but the cost of the relays, chassis to mount, enclosure, extra cords/connections...easily cost more than another controller.

• The topic was locked