Light-O-Rama Forums

New Laptop

scottsgrfx

Wasn't sure if this is the right place to ask. I am looking into buying a laptop computer, for everyday use but also for running my light display. What if any requirements are needed for LOR software, (can't seem to find anything), also, I have heard about intel duo core, and amd processors, will these work with the software? Any suggestions for a computer under 800.00. Thanks

I bought a thinkpad t-30 for $125. upgraded memory to 768mgs for $95. replaced harddrive from 20 g to 160 for $140. installed xp pro.

total under 500
best investment I ever did.
might want to check craigslist in your area.look for thinkpads t-21 or higher.

Attached files 141722=8421-sig1lor9mm.gif

For new laptops, there are a lot of good deals for around $500-$600. Definitely if you get Vista get at least a dual core and 1 GB of RAM. My laptop (hp tx1000z) has a 1.8 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 processor and 1GB of memory. Although it cost a little more because of the size and the fact that it is a tablet pc. But it still runs Vista great (of course with AERO turned off). Also some things to consider are size (15.4 inches can get a little big), weight, and battery life. I ended up getting a 4 cell and a 6 cell battery to keep me going all day during school.
Good luck
Greg

If you get Vista Premium then make sure you have at least 2gigs as it eats up a ton of memory.

Watch the fliers for Stables, Office Depot etc and you can find something well within your budget.

Last year needed to get a laptop for my daughter but did not want to spend a ton of money. So on Black Friday my wife and I spent the night at Office Depot and picked up a couple of Toshiba's with the XP software for $299 after rebate of $100. I got one just to use here in the shop and to run the display this year. Replaced my home computer this summer and with new widescreen monitor and all the other stuff it was over $1,500.00 but boy do I like TV on that thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one example of what you can get for under 800.00

Dell had this deal last week:

New Vostro 1000 Notebook w/ Athlon 64 X2 TK-53 Dual core 1.7GHz, 15.4in WXGA, 1GB, 120GB, DVD+-RW, RADEON Xpress 1150 256MB HM, 802.11g wireless, XP Home, 1yr warranty for only $499 w/ free shipping.

I bought one, but spent $200 more upgrading the processor to the AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor TL-60 (2.00GHz/512K), XGA truelife screen, and the premium battery.

So for 699, i got a really, really nice laptop. I usually find laptop deals on xpbargains.com or slickdeals.net.

L.A.

EDIT: P.S. Sorry I didn't realize this post was 10 days ago. . .