Light-O-Rama Forums

Transformer issue

AZDan

Put a board together and everything seemed to be fine until I put it in the yard and it started to disappear from the network intermittently. As I was checking the board I noticed that if I wiggled the transformer I would get a blinking red light.

First thought, bad solder, easy fix. When I removed the board and checked the solders they were solid and in good shape. The transformer still wiggles. De-soldered and upon examination I have pins 1,3,4 and 6 that wiggle up and down in the transformer.

Any fix? (faster than a replacement being shipped?) 

You could cut the paper back and expose the magnet wire connection to the terminals.  Make sure they are soldered well.  after that you can epoxy or hot glue for a quick fix, the terminals to the plastic of the transformer.. the you know it is electrically good you can put it back on the board and perhaps use some hot glue to physically hold the xfmr in place.  This should get you thru the season.. then replace it later

I opened a ticket since I just bought the controllers a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping for a quick fix but I will run this route so I don't blow the warranty if there is one.

That's a good decision on your part.  LOR might want this transformer back so they can see if this condition is isolated or they might have a bad lot of transformers from their supplier.  

Good Luck,

Jim