Light-O-Rama Forums

Running DMX cable to multiple controllers

RoboticBrad

Anyone have a suggestion as to how to split the DMX cable going to 5 different DMX controllers? I can't find any Ethernet splitters in stores, I've been told they quit selling them because people were confused trying to use them for the wrong thing. If I just stripped the cable and wired the 5 all together would that work? Would I lose the signal? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

What you need is an ethernet switch (not a router). A switch is a dumb device that just splits the ethernet signal to many ports.I find it hard to believe that they have stopped selling switches.I saw them just the other day at CompUSA.

-Paul

I split my DMX signal all the time with a RJ45 T-Splitter....That's is your using cat5 for your signal. What DMX devices are you using?

Yes I'm using cat5, I've never heard of a t-splitter. I'm using the 27 channel rgb dmx boards. Re: Ethernet splitter, that's an idea... I hadn't thought of that. I'll try it

If your using the 27ch DMX boards, they have a built-in IN and OUT on them so you can daisy-chain. No need to use a splitter.

Here is the RJ45 T-Splitter I use with the 3Ch DMX modules. I've used them on the 27ch too.

http://www.store.creativelightingdisplays.com/Cat5-RJ45-3-Way-Splitter-1F-2F-CAT5-3WAY.htm

Normally you solder a cat 5 cable to the in/out on the board. I solder 2 cables. The splitter was hard to find and the 2 cable ends come from the same cable. The extenders (couplers) are easy to find.

Wow...that 8-way is pricey. I have a 4-way I built. I purchase the board over at DIYC and parts for it at mouser. I think I spend $30 total. I only used it because it was easier to split than long run of cat5.

Most DMX devices have an "IN" and "Out" jack just like LOR devices.  I you're talking about the cheap chinese RGB ones with bare wires, I just install a double Cat5 jack (or two Cat5 jacks) onto them so I can daisy chain.  In that case, you can just connect the wires together.  But you're not supposed to split a DMX (or LOR) signal except for very short (less than 1 foot) drops like this at the device level.

What you need is an ethernet switch (not a router). A switch is a dumb device that just splits the ethernet signal to many ports.I find it hard to believe that they have stopped selling switches.I saw them just the other day at CompUSA.

-Paul

Don't try this.. You are trying to daisy chain an RS485 signal (DMX) and not an Ethernet signal.   They are not the same..   The connectors you are using are probably the same.. but the devices are not.  

The other "splitters" are ok but not the Ethernet switch..    I think Paul may have been confused as to what you really need..

Don't try this.. You are trying to daisy chain an RS485 signal (DMX) and not an Ethernet signal.   They are not the same..   The connectors you are using are probably the same.. but the devices are not.  

The other "splitters" are ok but not the Ethernet switch..    I think Paul may have been confused as to what you really need..

Normally you solder a cat 5 cable to the in/out on the board. I solder 2 cables. The splitter was hard to find and the 2 cable ends come from the same cable. The extenders (couplers) are easy to find.

If your using the 27ch DMX boards, they have a built-in IN and OUT on them so you can daisy-chain. No need to use a splitter. Here is the RJ45 T-Splitter I use with the 3Ch DMX modules. I've used them on the 27ch too. http://www.store.creativelightingdisplays.com/Cat5-RJ45-3-Way-Splitter-1F-2F-CAT5-3WAY.htm

I tried the Ethernet switch with no luck before I read the last post from plasmadrive. I have one of the rj45 3 way splitters but the problem is I have 5 controllers. I don't want to order anything online unless I have to, since we have only 3 weeks until Christmas and I'd have to wait for it to ship. If I could find something at a common retail store I'd go grab it. I'm also up to soldering the cable to the out pad, but I'm not exactly sure where the out pad is on the board. I'm using the 27 channel rgb DMX boards that are pretty common, I started to upload a picture, but for the life of me I can't remember where to add the picture. I tried the "My Media" button but it only lets me add previous pictures, where do I go to add a new one? I clicked image but it wanted a url and then said it couldn't be used... oh well! Any help on the out pads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The pad is behind the XLR IN with a box around it that labeled J12. I can't remember which if the 3 points is your Data+ and Data-. This only give you an input and no out to daisy-chain to the next controller. I would use the XLR adapter on both IN and OUT to connect your 5 boards if you have these adapters. If you don't have them, using the RJ45 splitter is what I would go with next.

Go to YouTube and search DMX 27 channel board and a video should pop up on how to solder this.

I believe there may be a video on holiday coro's site as well. Just look for the part on his web site and see the reference documents.

2 pads for 2 wires, but get the wiring correct. Like I said, I put 2 ends on the pads so I can daisy chain from DMX board to DMX board. That will be 4 wires instead of 2.

These are expensive from this place but you might find them locally at many electronic or computer stores.  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/943638/StarTechcom-2-to-1-RJ45-Splitter/

This is what I use but from Holiday Coro.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/180455460380?lpid=82

Even the Rat Shack has em.. but expensive.  http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=13384949&kw=rj45%20splitter&origkw=rj45+splitter&sr=1

Here is the video Sax was talking about and you can daisy-chain off the single pad.

You can do like in the video. If you don't have that splitter or rather not buy them, you can take 2 cat5 cables and solder the 2 wires from each to the pad. Then all you need is a straight cat5 connector you can get locally from radio shack.

I have a bunch if the RJ45 splitters and RJ45 Striaght....I'll can drop them in the mail to you if you like. Just figure out which way you want to go.

I am not able to put a bigger picture up but hopefully you can make sense of this one.  The upper portion of the picture shows where the pads are.  The lower one shows the color of the wire and where to solder them.  You only need to solder the orange and orange/white cables.   The Pad closest to the A on the board gets the orange/white cable.  The pad furthest from the A gets the orange cable.  The middle pad is ground and is not needed.

Thanks for the link Kevin. 

In the video he uses the middle pad.  I verified my board is soldered per the drawing I added.  Not using the middle pad.  I have 2 boards daisy chained and everything is working since 10/15.  Be sure to test before you put it outside.

Good Luck

Sax