• Dale

• Tim Fischer

• Orville

• Dale W

Return Address Label Sheets, Avery #5167

Using them, I code my channels. For example, my tags like this:

3 3 3 3
19 19 19 19

The 3 tells me it's the 3rd channel. What that 19 tells me is that it's the 3rd channel on the 2nd controller (16 channels + 3). One of the benefits of the bottom number is that I inventory my channels on LOR. I can use the 19 as a control number for sorting purposes.

Actually, if I redid the stickers, I would add the unit number. Example:

4 4 4 4
7 7 7 7
55 55 55 55

Thus, that'll be Unit #4, Channel #7, 55th channel overall (16+16+16+7)

The sequence above is on about 1/2 the sticker. The other half stays blank. Take the sticker off, wrap it around the wire, and *presto*...no matter which angle you look at the sticker, you can see the number.

Jeff Millard wrote:

DrNiceGuy wrote:
Earlier this year, I was introduced to 3M wire marker and never looked back.

One of the things I like most about them Roy is that they don't seem to come off like the ones that come on a card. I was looking at some wiring that I labeled with them about four years ago in a substation a work. Every wire I labeled with those 3M labels still look like they were done yesterday. I'm glad you found a good source for them. They're a little pricy but work very well. I just wish they had two rolls for the "1"

Jeff

Hi, Jeff:

I ended up getting 2 more complete 0-9 rolls with dispenser from ebay for $10 each. Like you, I went through the "1" and "2" rolls very quickly with everything I had to label. Thanks again for "sample"!

-Roy

• 2 weeks later...

I use bag clips that come from Tyson 8 piece chicken and Tyson chicken quarters . They are similar to the one s that are on bread bags but larger about 1 1/2 inches square. They also are in four different colors. Which works for me since I have 4 controllers. So if you know some one that works in food service. ex. hospital, manufacturing plant, or college as I do ask them if they can get you some these. I'll try to post a pic later of them.

James

jtpagett wrote:

I use colored electrical tape and a sharpie. Still readable after 3 years .

That is exactly what I do. I'll label 1-4 & 5-8 (9-12 & 13-16 as well) in different colors so when i'm hunting for a specific channel i can at least hit the correct 'quadrant' at the outset.

I also use the electrical tape/sharpie method in labeling my extension cords. mini trees get a color and numbered in order, mega trees get a color and numbered in order. that way, when i'm at the controllers behind the fence, i can look at an extension cord, know what it powers, use my channel spreadsheet and know where it goes. definately makes installation and/or troubleshooting much easier.

There are quite a few products made for labeling wire. (Dad was an electrician.) I've used the ones on radio shack (item number is in another post above) without problems. Home depot sells a couple of different packages of stickers. You can also check your local electrical supply house, as they will have a bunch of products.

However, I have to tell you, I worked with my dad MANY times and we labeled everything with sharpies.

• 4 years later...

This is a hidden gem for a new user how to. I had just finished lableing my controllers with a Brother Touch lable maker I use. Each controller has every cable identified. Output cables for Channels 1 - 16 are each labled 1-16, input/power cables are labled with two lables - one lable is the UNIT number (01, 02, 03,etc) then the second lable is which side of the contoller it powers 1-8, or 9-16.

Inside and outside the unit box is another UNIT lable.

That way - without having to open any unit, I see which unit is which - and for everyone, which input/output cables are assigned.

Cattle Marking Ear tags. They come in multiple colors, numeric and alpha numeric sets and last for years and years.

I label all mine with a silver sharpie as well.

Also label my power cords as 01A and 01, the A tells me that's the main power cable to the PC Card and channels 9-18 inside, the 01 for channels 1-8.

I don't really need to label the power cords explicitly with the channels they control, because this simple system works for me. This way I know to plug in 01A first and 01 second, although it really doesn't matter how you plug them in, I just prefer to plug in the power to the circuit board first {A designator}.

And my silver sharpie markings are still as crisp and clear as when I did them back in 2010.

For the LOR plugs, I use a silver sharpie. The controller is marked with a black sharpie. $3 a piece. It doesn't wear off, but will come off easily enough with a scratch pad.

Used the label maker for the extension cords. They're labeled per prop, so I know exactly where they go.

Yep silver sharpie. Also someone here made an extension cord label suggestion. for a 50-footer = 50A, 100-footer=100A, etc. Go up the aphabet and the double if past the 27 (or however many letters are in the alphbet. I would suggest not using I, O and maybe L.

That's howi label my cords. Find it gives the most flexibility since the cords are not marked to indicate a channel.

Makes it easy when trying to trace cords at night.

I have made wiring harnesses for my arches using SPT wire and zip ties. For these I do label the controller and channel. The advantages of not having to locate the segment to match the channel, priceless. I can also have a helper set the arches up.

We are able to get 4 arches up and running in under 25 minutes.

Another idea if someone wants to easily identify length of cord along with numbering would be to label a 100 ft cord like 99H for Hundred feet, or 99F for Fifty feet, or 99T for Twenty-Five feet. Where 99 would be whatever the cord number/designator is.

---Michael

For the dongles, I'm getting pretty good wear out of labeling them with a siver sharpie. I label both the END, and the side. I label the end, in that I can grab all 8, turn them towards me, and read them without having to twist them around. I label the sides, so that I can find things when they have cords plugged into them.

On cords, I'm at a point where I either don't label them at all, or I label them for what they went to. Those labels I do make are rather time consuming, but very durable.

I start by laser printing pages of cord descriptions double sided (same text back to back) white text on black, on Write in the Rain paper (tyvek) This then gets cut out, and laminated in thermal laminating ID badge pockets. (2 or 3 per pocket) These then get cut apart, hole punched, and cable tied to the cables. These tend to hold up really well, and seldom get torn off. I even use the same type of labels on some of the brackets, as they have specific positions where the mounting holes line up on the building.

I had tried a few things in the past, from colored wire ties to different color coded electrical tape. In most cases I do end up using a Brady IDPAL label maker with Nylon cloth tape, pretty similar to the Brother PT-7600. I have to admit being lucky and I had one in my drawer from a couple of networking jobs... And I love to stick those labels on everything from wall wart power supplies to all king of cables, hard drives and other gear. As long as the batteries are fresh, the labels come out pretty nice....

• 2 weeks later...