Light-O-Rama Forums

Quick Controller Question

DanielleCopeland

I have the 64 channel showtime package. This is my first year with LOR. I have an electrician coming out to give us more power. What exactly about the boards won't allow us to pull 40 amps (20 on left / 20 on right)? I know the hobbyist controllers will allow 40 amps.

I remember someone saying it's possible to get the full 40 amps with the showtime controllers...how's this done? Thanks in advance!

Here's the documentation from LOR: http://www.lightorama.com/LOR_FAQ.html#_Toc124407461

Thanks!

• I do have the two male plugs coming out of the controllers.
  • Changing the fast acting ceramic fuses on the board scares me. Is this process documented anywhere that you know of? I may try it if I feel comfortable with the documentation.

The easy way I found:

1st: Have the controllers unplugged completely from everything (both the outlets and the UBS cable). Make sure you are working in a non-static environment, just in case (touch something metal first). Most of this is just extra precaution...the main thing is that the unit isn't plugged into an outlet.

2nd: Get a set of tweezers.

Using a finger, slightly pry open one of the two clamps holding the fuse in. Using the tweezers, hold the fuse, and pull it out on the clamp side you're holding.

As you do this, the other side is pulling up and out at the same time.

when you put the new one in, usually you can just push down in the middle of the fuse, and it'll go in with just a little effort

Thank you both. Anything else I should tell/ask the electrician while he's here today? It's now or wait till next year. Also, why wouldn't they ship them with this fuse?...it doesn't sound like it's dangerous to have the controllers push 20 amps each side.

Thanks again Jeff. I actually printed out this page and showed it to the electrician to ensure the utmost safety. How tragic would it be if someone got hurt (or worse) doing Christmas decorations?!

Jeff Millard wrote:

The board is designed to handle 20amps per side continuously. It is sold as a Showtime controller with 30amp capacity which includes 15amp fuses, and cords designed to handle 15amps. The upgrade to 20 amps per bank is an option you do yourself. I can't emphasize the need to do it safely though. Using wire and connectors that are designed for 20amp @ 125VAC is a necessity.

Jeff

What do you mean by connectors Jeff? Yes you need to have #12 wire from the breaker to the board to handle the 20 amp current but, each channel on the board can only handle a max of 8 amps therefore the standard 14 guage wire from the board to the receptacle (plug in) is ok. Please correct me if I am wrong because that is how I have mine wired.

I bought everything at the board level so maybe I am missing something here with the 'showtime package'.

Thanks,

J