Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Timing Question

zman

In working with a Chauvet Zap Strobe ST-800X, I found that it required at least 1/2 of "ON" to flash the strobe. My understanding is that DMX should be just like a regular controller, on is ON. If the strobe is connected to power, (I can connect this to AC to test), it should flash.

Additionally, in that 1/2 period (.05 second intervals, so 10 blocks of ON), with different runs of the sequence, it flashed very inconsistently. Meaning in different spots within that 1/2 second period, and at times not at all.

I might expect a very, very slight delay, maybe a 1/10th of a second, but what I am seeing is very puzzling.

Mark

I'm assuming the ST-800X is plugged into a continuous source of power, not a channel on a LOR lighting controller. And, you are using the Hardware Utility or Sequence Editor through an iDMX-1000 to turn on both of the DMX channels that control the ST-800X. Turning both channels on (100% intensity) tells the strobe to flash 20 times/sec at full brightness. The strobe may not keep the high voltage power supply used to flash the bulb charged. If this is the case, then the strobe would require some charge-up time. This can be up to a second. After that point, it should flash at the rate set by the intensity of DMX channel 1 and at the brightness set by the intensity of DMX channel 2.

I would be interested in your results with this device. If you make a sequence that sets both channels to 100% for 5 seconds, what happens? Is the first flash delayed the first time you run the sequence, but less delayed on quick re-runs of the sequence? I.e. if you give the high power supply time to discharge, does the strobe take longer to do its initial flash? If this is the case, it is probably the explanation for the seemingly random startup behavior.

John,

I just saw your reply. I left on an international trip and will be back home on the 14th. I can test and get back with you then.

Mark

• The topic was locked