Light-O-Rama Forums

Firmware update Question, and RS-232-RS485 Conv Question

jim st john

First of all, let me say that I can forget a lot in a year. I am trying to piece together my system for 2007 and have a couple of questions.

Are there any identifying markings on an SC485? I have 2 units that look like SC485s, they are identical in appearance except for color, one is yellow, one is gray. No markings. The yellow one works with LOR, the gray doesn't. Not sure if it's an SC485 or something totally diferent.

2nd question. I have 3 CTB16DV5 boards that I purchased last year but never used.
I am trying to remember if I need to do a firmware update on these or not. How do you tell what the current firmware version is on a board?

The hardware utility identifies it as CTB16D ver 2.0, is this the firmware version or something else? When I try to update the firmware it fails. I see error messgages flicking past in the window pretty fast, the only one I can make out is "poll retry too short". After several seconds it says load failed.

-jim-

It is version 2.0 of the firmware.

Not all SC485s have marks on them. We did sell a number of yellow ones and yellow is a pretty uncommon color so it makes sense that is a SC485.

What version of the LOR software are you running?

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

It is version 2.0 of the firmware.

Not all SC485s have marks on them. We did sell a number of yellow ones and yellow is a pretty uncommon color so it makes sense that is a SC485.

What version of the LOR software are you running?

Dan

-jim-

Any help here would be appreciated. I tried another board (identical, CTB16DV5 ver 2.0), and very similar issue when trying to update the firmware. This time I see the same flurry of error messages, such as "poll response too short", and finally ends with "Invalid startup poll response".

Am I losing any functionality by not being able to upgrade the firmware?

-jim-

I am feeling pretty lonely here. This issue has been posted for more than a week with no help. I have 3 boards that won't update firmware.

I notice there isn't much activity on these forums, does anyone have a better source for LOR tech support?

If your boards are working, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If necessary, you can update firmware through the LOR network "out in the yard" as long as the units have distinct ID's.

-Tim

Jim, I noticed that Dan has been posting tonight so I am replying to your questions here to help bring it back up. 1 Have you updated your hardware utility to ver 1.6.6?, 2 have you tried a different network cable? 3 Have you tried a hardware reset on each of the affected boards?(Turn off poer to the controller, set the unit ID switches to 00, then power the controller back on led should flash 2 quick then 2 slow [on some controllers the led flashes a different pattern] then power off and reset the unit ID)

ISteve Saunders wrote:

Jim, I noticed that Dan has been posting tonight so I am replying to your questions here to help bring it back up. 1 Have you updated your hardware utility to ver 1.6.6?, 2 have you tried a different network cable? 3 Have you tried a hardware reset on each of the affected boards?(Turn off poer to the controller, set the unit ID switches to 00, then power the controller back on led should flash 2 quick then 2 slow [on some controllers the led flashes a different pattern] then power off and reset the unit ID)

I was running 1.6.1, upgraded now to 1.6.6, same problem.

Tried another cable, no joy.

Tried the hardware rest on one board. I just got a repeating sequence of 2 quick flashes, over and over until I unplugged it. No help.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

-jim-

jim st john wrote:

ISteve Saunders wrote:

I was running 1.6.1, upgraded now to 1.6.6, same problem.

Tried another cable, no joy.

Tried the hardware rest on one board. I just got a repeating sequence of 2 quick flashes, over and over until I unplugged it. No help.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

-jim-

Jim,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Unless you have a problem I would not worry about the firmware update. It sounds to me like there is a problem with the processor chip's bootloader. It will not allow the download of the firmware. If you do have a problem that requires a firmware download we can send you a new processor chip with an operational bootloader.