Light-O-Rama Forums

Can the CCB distance between controller and the string be increased?

Denise Brunner

I am looking to solder in a longer length of cable between the controller and one of the strings.  Any suggestions and / or experiences???

I have 12 CCRs plus 3 small ones for the star, I run cat 5 16" long for each CCR and another 3 cat 5  30" each for the star channels and also I run an extra cat 5 from pc to controller without any problem or delay, I'm very happy

Did you solder to the bulb side or to the controller side.  Also, what size wire did you use??  Thanks for your help !!

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Uppssss sorry I mean cat 5 16' long and cat 5 30' and from PC to controller I used 200' of cat 5 ( yes I'm talking about feet long), I'm using one controller for up to 16 ccr (E682) from San devices, each ccr came with it own connector factory soldered also in the package of ccr came with extra connectors. I soldered the extra connectors to each cat 5, at the controller side it came with it own connectors that you can screw the wire, each connector comes with 4 screws, so each cat 5 is screwed to the controller connectors.

One more thing: as you know, cat 5 wire has 8 little wires that makes 4 pares, I used the cat 5 in pares of colors (blue and white-blue, orange and white-orange and green and white-green, the brown and white-brown for spare).

Denise, I just put on a 3 meter, already made, pigtail extension on my 2 sets of CCPs for my upper windows and am having -0- issues. I have only found 1 that will work for the connectors on my CCPs. I'm sure the CCB connectors are the same. One day last week, they had a 2 week delay posted to their website but it's no longer there. 

When I contacted them, LOR John told me that the six-foot distance was the longest they thought was a good idea.  He said that in warmer climates (comparing everywhere else to Minnesota probably) you can probably go farther than the six feet.  Sounds like the only way to know for sure is to experiment.  I have no problems with the six-foot extensions I have, and it's plenty cold here already.

A link to those 3-meter cords would be helpful Ron.  Thanks.

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/17-waterproof-cabling  The picture depicted is a white cable but the cables are Black and is noted on the website.

The CCP connector has a marking on it "HLS" These connectors have the identical markings. When fitting them, they are quite tight and a little stubborn to get on. I did mine in about 40 degree weather. they may go on better if they are brought inside for a bit to warm up. 

I wasn't comfortable posting a link to a different vendor, but I figured, this would help folks. They won't have to cut the connectors on the CCx's and void the warranty.

Hope this helps, they're working on mine at 32 degrees last night

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/4-Wire-Waterproof-Cable-Black-18awg-4W-WP-CABLE.htm

Looks as though Kevin has them also.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm cutting them as we speak.... splicing a 16 foot extension in !!  Wish me luck

Please let us know how it goes, and how you did it. Looking to add some extensions next year. You should post a YouTube video :)

I cut between the plug and the first bulb.  I soldered in a 16 foot piece of wire, using heat shrink tubing over each joint and then an additional piece of heat shrink over the entire thing.  Additionally I used liquid electrical tape to seal further the outer joint.  So far all works well.  Tonight will be the first real test

Whats up with the no edit?? I quoted the previous link and added my own comments but did not post...just the link?

Anyways, my waterproof connectors DO NOT fit the CCDs. I have been asked this many times and had some purchase thinking they fit. So I added the measurements and put in red bold that they do not fit any of the CCDs. Don't want to see anyone purchase thinking they fit and are disappointed.

The extensions I made have been working perfectly for the last week.  16 feet added and have not had a single failure even as temps drop.  They look great !!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/17-waterproof-cabling  The picture depicted is a white cable but the cables are Black and is noted on the website.

The CCP connector has a marking on it "HLS" These connectors have the identical markings. When fitting them, they are quite tight and a little stubborn to get on. I did mine in about 40 degree weather. they may go on better if they are brought inside for a bit to warm up. 

I wasn't comfortable posting a link to a different vendor, but I figured, this would help folks. They won't have to cut the connectors on the CCx's and void the warranty.

Hope this helps, they're working on mine at 32 degrees last night

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/4-Wire-Waterproof-Cable-Black-18awg-4W-WP-CABLE.htm

Looks as though Kevin has them also.

So, if I am understanding correctly, the product in your first link WILL work for extending CCD's, the link to Kevin's store WILL NOT work?

• 4 months later...

The Creative Lighting has this note on their page: **Note: These plug ends / connectors are NOT the same size as Light-O-Rama products. (ex: CCP / CCB)**