Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Linda Hadden

Intensity setting

Recommended Posts

This is my 1st year with 32 Channels.

I was wondering why or when you would use the 'intensity setting' in a display or for what effect?

I have not yet used it in any of my sequences.

Linda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what you're asking is....

It's used to turn on a channel at 50%, or 20% (or any particular percent) power.

Very useful in animated displays. You can use it in soft parts of music; or to fade up (or down) in "steps" on a beat (25% for 2 seconds, 50% for 2 seconds, 75% for 2 secs, then 100%); or anytime you want to contrast a full ON or OFF. Watch some of the videos on lightorama.com, and you'll see many uses of various intensities.

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using it extensively this year. Other than LEDs, I have set the maximum intensity at 80% for all the incandescent lighting, including the fades. Also, this is my first year using plywood cutouts. As certain phrases are mentioned in a song, I fade up a cutout to 80%, then fade it down to say 40% so that it is lit dimly while the next cutout fades in for the next phrase and then back down to 40% until the song. This continues until the end of the song.

As a side note, I am hoping that LOR II will have the capability to remember what the intensities are set at. In LOR I, you have to go into the Tools tab and change the settings each time you start the program as it defaults back to 50%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replies.

I am using flood lights to brighten up some inflatables in certain parts of music so the intensity setting will be good for this .



Linda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as the above uses, I often use it to chase a "full powered" segment across a lower-intensity background. For example, on my 3-color mega-tree, I might put the whole tree at 50% green, and "spin" a chunk of red at full power. You can do the same thing on a single color as well.

-Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denny wrote:

As a side note, I am hoping that LOR II will have the capability to remember what the intensities are set at. In LOR I, you have to go into the Tools tab and change the settings each time you start the program as it defaults back to 50%.


I think I remember Dan saying awhile back that there's a bunch of preset intensities/fades that you can customize, instead of just one that you have to keep changing. This would be really helpful, as I'm constantly changing that setting...

-Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim Fischer wrote:

As well as the above uses, I often use it to chase a "full powered" segment across a lower-intensity background. For example, on my 3-color mega-tree, I might put the whole tree at 50% green, and "spin" a chunk of red at full power. You can do the same thing on a single color as well.

-Tim


Tim, "Great minds think in the same gutter." :-) I do the exact same thing and I agree it is a good technique. In my case, I have one controller dedicated to 16 candy canes on the ground. Each candy cane also has a mini tree tied to the same channel.

I chase the candy canes (and associated tree) at full brightness in parts of a song while the background intensity is set to about 25%. It looks a lot better to me than simply chasing the lights from full off to full on (of course I do that too at some times).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim Fischer wrote:

Denny wrote:
As a side note, I am hoping that LOR II will have the capability to remember what the intensities are set at. In LOR I, you have to go into the Tools tab and change the settings each time you start the program as it defaults back to 50%.


I think I remember Dan saying awhile back that there's a bunch of preset intensities/fades that you can customize, instead of just one that you have to keep changing. This would be really helpful, as I'm constantly changing that setting...

-Tim



AMEN ! A feature I would love. I could really use preset intensities. Also I saw on a wish list somewhere on this board that they wanted to be able to show intensity of a segment on a popup when rolling the mouse over it. I could really use that feature too. Often I have to go in and experiment to see what setting I made for an intensity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...