Light-O-Rama Forums

first time making fire sticks (light poles) advice?

bhunt240

iv ordered my LEDs from holiday light express finally and when they arrive ill be building my sticks and wrapping my mini trees! 

my only question is on the sticks, i have 3/4" & 1" PVC in 10' sections... do i construct them the same way as most do an arch say 100ct 5mm led per 11"-15" sections of PVC and is 3/4" or 1" more preferred in building these? 

ill attach a few videos of my favorite poles or sticks iv seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuwTTkRCYOk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUIrmjp7Lmia6h0W_8UOFR2A

also would love to know how he got his mini trees so full looking? in the video above^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zjXr6Qnpcw

any advice would be great before i waste anytime!!

thanks for everything guys!

I built mine just like an arch, using 14 inch sections, but I used a gas pipe for the inside pole, and slid my sleeves over the pipe.  100 ct lights per section should work fine.  Good luck!

I built mine just like an arch, using 14 inch sections, but I used a gas pipe for the inside pole, and slid my sleeves over the pipe.  100 ct lights per section should work fine.  Good luck!

awesome thanks for the advice i have been thinking of ways to have the poles upright and stable without wires or string

also what size pvc did you use?

I used 1/2" Black pipe to slide the 1" PVC sleeves over.

I have some 1" pipe driven into the ground to put the black pipe in then I slide the sleeves over it.

I used the same, 1 inch PVC - the black stuff - for the sleeves.    I put my sleeves on the pipe, drove some rebar into the ground, letting it stick up about 12-18 inches.  Slid the now sleeved pipe over the rebar, and secured it with 2 guy wires.  Stood up to some VERY heavy wind last year.  You can see them in action here if you want. 

Next year I plan on adding ridge line lights and everywhere you see blue will be 3 channels, blue, green, and red

3 10' long arches 7 channels

3 more mini trees to make 9

2 or 3 channel stars on top of each fire stick

1 candy cane spinner with 10 or 12 candycanes

Hopefully some snowflakes on the roof