Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling Static elements

cobra513

Is there a way to control my static elements like inflatables, FM transmitter, and power supplies for dmx network from lor. I want to be able to turn these on before the show and then off at the end of the night. I used timers before (they don't like to stay in sinc) but would really rather control it all from lor without using x10 or something like that. I keep thinking it should be from background or animation for the show but can't find it.

Sure.  Hook them up to one or more channels on one or more of your LOR controllers.  If it's a large motor you are controlling (such as an inflatable), have the controller power a relay and the relay switch power to the motor.

What im actually looking for is how to turn them on and off in the software without having to do it in each sequence ie in the background before and after the show

You could do it with a second computer, running a background show which would be annimation only. The software license covers up to 5 computers. You would be running a second communications path to the controller as well.

You could do it with a second computer, running a background show which would be annimation only. The software license covers up to 5 computers. You would be running a second communications path to the controller as well.

You do not need the 2nd computer. Just create a background animation sequence which you activate in the background section of show builder. The background animation sequence must only include the channels required for the background elements and these channels must not be included in the various musical sequences used in the show.

I only use one show each night and this repeats, so the background channels remain on all night and turn off at the end of the show. If you use multiple shows, then the background sequence would be included in each show. The background channels may then switch off & on as the shows change. (I have never tested this.)

That's what I do here...a background annimation sequence but the OP wanted to run his static lights totally different times. From what I've seen, it appears the show player will only do a single show at a time, so his static lights/props, would run at the same time and end at the same time as the main show. 

Darn edit button gone....He could run one show, starting his static at a particular time then ending that show at the time his main show started. Then include those static elements in his main show as a background display, which will end when his main show does too. Then schedule another background show to run to whatever his end time is.

Oh yes, I do command those static elements of my display in various songs which overrides the background sequencing. After "x" number of seconds(I don't remember how much time), the background commands go back to the normal for those commanded channels, so they revert to their normal background annimation sequencing.