Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the one great idea you'd share with a Newbie?

Bizywk

Don't be afraid to massage other people's sequences for your display. I know some guys like it better when folks are original but honesty, 99.99% of people watching you lights will not know you recycled a sequence. They will just love that someone is blinkin' and flashin'.

Also, don't think you have to go RGB LED to wow the people watching your lights. Again, they will just love that someone is blinkin' and flashin'. ;-)

Oh, and keep it a hobby and at least a little fun... makes it easier to continue year after year.

Edited by JeffF

• 11 months later...

Talk to your neighbors BEFORE the larger crowds start showing up.   Its a lot harder for them to get upset when they've already bought into your plan.  We started talking the neighbors a year out - so far so good - even when the tour bus showed up in the neighborhood last year.   

• 1 month later...

This forum is a great thing for us newbies.  I started planning for my first year with LOR in January, I got most of my ideas from youtube, and LOR videos and built a great show, I will see when it starts up. I did not make any big mistakes yet, But I have learned some much from the forum, I'am hopeing to avoid most of the common mistakes. So Thank You to all of you for helpping us newbies put together better shows. By the way, you have also helpped me spend more money and upgrade, my new EDM showed up today and works great. The WHT is going back in the mail on monday.

Good luck to all,

Gary N

• 2 weeks later...

Zip ties lots of them. It'll help in wrangling the cables and preventing major trip hazards all over the place.

Also hosting a premiere party for friends and family and neighbors! The kids will love it and the adults will have a blast!

• Like 1

I run different color zip cord for my main 4 colors (blue is black, red is brown, white is white, green is green) I use small colored zip ties to determine color/channel on the plug end of the strings & zip cords, makes for fast no brainer hook up. I have all my colored strings zip tied together (all 4). Makes it easy to wrap one string of 4 rather then separate strings.(it can be prepped inside in the warmth of your family room too) I also have screw in eyelets along my gutters, just zip tie the strings to them and done! 

• Like 1

Every once in a while I hear that someone gets water in their controller enclosures.  Stand them up and use an inexpensive trash bag as a rain cover.   

We try to use cheap sign posts, like the ones used for election signs or even old rusted realty signs.  Steel frames are the best.    You can sometimes find them in the trash, in sign shops, or even find retired ones at your local realty offices.   Add a small square of thin plywood to the frame and mount your controllers with a few screws.    Then use black trash bags over the whole thing.  It adds extra rain protection, visibly hides the controllers in the dark, and most importantly it covers your wire connections to which completely eliminates any need to tape them from the weather.        Fast and easy.          If you're nervous, this method also allows you to chain the frames to a tree or something immovable.

Simplicity is the name of the game for me now. I wish I had made PVC window frames years ago. My show was up a week faster than last year!

• Like 1

What ever date or time you think you should start sequencing and building props is always too late. Start as early as possible with EVERYTHING

• Like 1

Sequence in sections. Sequence one batch of channels for the entire sequence and then start over with a different group. Even trying to sequence 16 different channels at once can be overwhelming.

Sequence in sections. Sequence one batch of channels for the entire sequence and then start over with a different group. Even trying to sequence 16 different channels at once can be overwhelming.

Evil,

I'm actually going to have to disagree with ya. I'm working on about 46 channels (21 of which are RGB), and I actually find it easier to use the "play visible screen" with the "play 1/4 speed" method. I then use a 1/10 timing grid and sequence from there. I also use the waveform tool at full height to help predict what kind of effect I should be trying to simulate. This has worked out pretty well for me.

To each his own, though. What I've learned through this sequencing experience is that many people have different ways of making their sequences. And in their perspective, it's what they believe is correct. So... Both of us, in one way, are correct in saying that our methods are the best ways to go. Who knows what the truly correct way to sequence is? Not me.

• 2 weeks later...

Start Planning NOW for Next Year... Use this year as more of a learn from your mistakes and try to not repeat them next year.

Set You Clock for early morning for the day after Christmas to run to wally world etc. and get lights etc. for next year while they are on 50% to 57% off and try to get there before all the other LOR users to get the ones you plan on using first.. 

Save the Christmas Money you hopefully got to buy more lights and controllers with when they go on sale for the spring and or summer sales..

Take pics of where you have things placed and if possible measurements of you yard and their locations etc. helps for when you start thinking how much more SPT1 cable you want to order for next year then double that number or triple that number before ordering your cable and vampire plugs..

Like other said,,, try to remember... especially as your show grows and you get more controllers expecially if you have things such as a megs trees, archs etc. that depend on each other and more then one channel to run try to remember to keep a couple channels free on each controller for those times when something stops working and you need a channel to program in as a back up such as making the red star be on when it is suppose to be on and not dark..

Make yourself a good .lee file (visualizer) and try to keep it updated with things in your display..  get as many props, fixtures etc. to use in it as you can and be sure and keep single copies such as 1 single 16 channel mega tree as example if running more then one separate from the file you make with two, three or four in it.. If you are thinking of having a Halloween show... start things for it at this time to..

Back up... Backup.... Backup... keep back ups at different places and backup often.... you dont want to have a nice selection of things all in one place to have a lightening strike take them out all at one time..  Make Backups... even if just saving into a drop box each time you work on something new or external hard drive and on another computer and update as you go or e mail things to yourself so they are saved that way.

• Like 2

Here are a few thoughts;  

I purchased some plastic storage bins from Home Depot and used a two inch hole drill bit to cut holes for the cords to go into the bin.  This allows me to place the controller in the bin and have easy access to allow the power cords to connect with the controller.  Don't make the holes too small or you may have a devil of a time getting the cords into the bin.  This has kept my controllers dry and somewhat inconspicuous.  It is also easy to lock the bin using a cable with a padlock though I have never had anyone mess with my displays.  

Check with those who have been doing this for awhile.  The information experienced users have is the most valuable resource you can find for this.

Start early.  Others have said it before and I absolutely agree with them.

When all else fails, open a ticket with LOR support.  I have had some tough issues resolved by the experts.

Don't try to do too much at any given time.  Start simple and expand as you complete different steps.  This will prevent this process from becoming overwhelming. 

Try to stick with the same type of lights.  I learned the hard way this year that some LED lights do not dim no matter what you try.  Find some lights that you like and stick with them.

Don't be afraid to buy a sequence even if you plan to modify how the different channels function.  The timing on some songs is amazingly complex.  A song like Nutrocker from TSO can be a bear to set the timings too.  

Don't feel that you need to have a huge number of songs for your show.  I have seen great displays with four to eight songs.  Longer than that and you may end up with a traffic jam than takes away the enjoyment for those who come to watch your show.  If you do have a large number of songs, do different sets on different days and publish what songs play on what days on the web site for your local community.

Hope this helps!

back up... back up.... back up.... and backup again..

dont depend on being able to find that one and only CD/dvd you made for a back up.... use more then one place to back up to.... maybe have a friend keep a back up for you to om their computer or in a drop box... 

make a back up and keep it updated..

• 3 months later...

I've been noticing that old, slightly bent and rusted metal realtor sign frames are often being retired by our local realtors and can often be had for free with a few phone calls.     They're the perfect size for mounting up to 4 controllers and an exterior outlet.     A small square of 3/8" plywood bolts right into the frame where the sign was, then the controllers can be mounted to the plywood.     Paint the whole thing flat black, put behind the bushes and you have an easy access solution for keeping your controllers out of the higher snow and rain.  If you're worried about security, you can also use short length of chain attached to an eyebolt.        It never hurts to put a black trash bag over the whole thing as an added weather protector.   

Edited by Bizywk
fix grammar