Light-O-Rama Forums

fm transmitter and legality

adam_northdakota

Newbie here and i plan to run my show on an fm transmitter I believe that i understand the f c c law that it can't be heard farther than 200 ft. and has to be under .5 watt of power or something like that but I talked to a radio station owner and he asked me about the public performance tax or something. I know when a business plays music they have to buy a service to play music at their place of business and can't just play the radio.  But do i get around this because it is for private use at a house not commercial location and  because i own the music.  I purchased all the songs i am using off iTunes.  just wondering as if someone would get in trouble it would be me. thanks

Worms galore will come out of this can.          The code I use is simple.   Use the min power you can.  Dont use call letters in your announcements.    Dont charge any money.    Be sure you are transmitting a frequency which is empty in your area. 

because i own the music.  I purchased all the songs i am using off iTunes.

you own a copy of the music, you don't own the music. otherwise you would be getting paid whenever it plays on the radio.

What Bob said. Keep it low key. Dont use an outside antenna if at all possible. Do keep the signal low and  only broadcast a signal that is clean (no static) for about a block or two at most. Make sure that no metal items like refrig or cold air duct are between transmitter and the street. Very good point about playing with the audio level at computer to transmitter. Messing with the audio level will  make the difference between weak, static, and sounding good. Listen to the radio at night and try to find a clear frequency. block some neighbors fav radio station and see if they dont call the guys in the black van to come and pay you a visit.

Oh and we just had a big discussion about this. The end result is that you do not own the music. And those who do, really dont like us broadcast their music. So keep a low profile. Dont collect any money for yourself. Take donations for and pay to your fav charity.