Light-O-Rama Forums

on/off dmx

medman2000

Wow do I live the iDMX! I feel like an apprentice wizard trying to learn to control a powerful magic :D

Playing around with sequencing, I've successfully set up 3 fixtures, and can activate any of the channels on any of the 3 fixtures as desired. Soooo cool. Except, the lights do not seem to turn on/off when going 0-100% intensity... there is a very subtle fade off lasting 1-2/10th second. If I have my red channel at 100% for say 3 seconds, then want an abrupt change to green (red to 0%, green channel to 100%) - one fades out while one fades in - even though I'm not using any intensities other than 0 or 100%. This seems to only happen on my chauvet colorsplash. On the chauvet colorado3, there isn't any fade between color changes.

Is this a common problem? Any work around other than trying to turn off the colorsplash 1/10th second early to allow for the fade?

Thanks!

My guess is that the problem is with the fixture.... There is not code in the iDMX to "go soft" with transitions.

Is there some type of setting in that fixture to set a transition rate?

Dan

Thanks for the reply. As long as I know it is a fixture issue I can just try to work around it then. I'll double check the docs to make sure I don't have some setting messed up on the fixture.

Thanks Dan!

What happens with this fixture if you hook it up on a controller other than LOR? Do you get the same results? Might be with a try if you have access to a light control console to control the DMX fixture.

Chuck

medman2000,

Make sure you are not trying to move from one color to the next which are not able to "colormix". I don't know about the Colorsplashes but this is true in the Colorado3's.

You cannot "mix" the yellow, cyan, purple or white in the Colorado3's and further the red, green and blue have "priority" over the yellow, cyan, purple and white because they are the primary colors.

Again, you may know this and I don't know about the Colorsplashes but if it isn't a LOR problem, then this may be the case.

Charles

I have an email into Chauvet - the colorado3's work well (though it took me a while to figure out that I couldn't do the additional mixing like you mentioned!) - tried every setting in the fixtures and still can't get the flashes to just turn on/off without a fade. Probably just part of that technology, and ultimately only a problem as I try to rapidly cycle between colors, but as Dan mentioned not a LOR problem so I'll just adapt ;)

Thanks all!

medman2000,

BTW, even though the Colorado3's have an IP65 outdoor rating, I have had to send 4 or 5 units back to the factory from a theme park installation because of internal exposure from rain. The IP65 rating is supposed to be representative of the fact that the fixture can withstand "forced" water and rain doesn't even qualify as forced so be mindful of this during the season.

Charles

Like most people, I paid the extra money for these so I wouldn't have to worry about the outdoors thing. You're the 4th person now to mention that they might not be as "outside" as advertised, so I do plan on having some additional protection for them. Frustrating, but I certainly don't want to regret it later!

Thanks much -

medman

• The topic was locked