Light-O-Rama Forums
rbmurray210

RGB How To's

Just purchased LOR (6 controllers) and (8) dumb ribbons with controller and G3-MP3 Director.

Converting from my old Allen-Bradley PLC to LOR.

Wish me luck. Will most likely be posting lots of questions.

Only got 9 months!

Just purchased LOR (6 controllers) and (8) dumb ribbons with controller and G3-MP3 Director.

Converting from my old Allen-Bradley PLC to LOR.

Wish me luck. Will most likely be posting lots of questions.

Only got 9 months!

Welcome aboard Vince!!!

And good luck.

The biggest thing you can do right now is build your show channel configuration and sequence, sequence, sequence. Like NOW!!!

Welcome!!!

Ik.  Need to ask this...

Been using LOR for several years now with R-G-W incan floods.  Want to do 3 RGB floods, but I have no idea when to start.  Is there any RGB flood for dummies How Tos out there?

Ik.  Need to ask this...

Been using LOR for several years now with R-G-W incan floods.  Want to do 3 RGB floods, but I have no idea when to start.  Is there any RGB flood for dummies How Tos out there?

As far as when to start?  NOW is a good time :P   If you want easy, use the LOR floods.  DIY depends on your skills.  There are plenty of RGB flood threads to read to help you get started.

Hello,

I have 2 LOR controllers which i used to control LED's last year for my first time. It went pretty well, the hardware was the easy part the sequencing was the long part. I would like to add a LOR RGB board and 8 RGB light sets but am stuck there, not knowing what LOR's RGB light sets can do ie: can you control/change each RGB on each string? or just control/change all RGB's on each string. I've also read on the forum about the lights on Ebay as they are less expensive but can they be integrated into LOR equipment.

Thanks,

Paul

Virginia

Use LOR Cosmic Color Ribbons to control color for each and every light on ribbon.

Use LOR Dumb RGB Ribbons to control color for all lights on the ribbon.

I chose the LOR RGB board with 8 dumb ribbons (reduced price for package) = $479.95

LOR Cosmic Color Ribbons have individual controllers for each ribbon and are rather expensive (but look cool). = $1,999.60 for 8 ribbons.

Good luck!

Thanks Vince

I wish I could do the rgb ribbons, bulbs and floods. But they are too expensive. Just for the ribbons I would need 4 to cover the top outline of my roof. An that $1000 I don't have.

I wish I could do the rgb ribbons, bulbs and floods. But they are too expensive. Just for the ribbons I would need 4 to cover the top outline of my roof. An that $1000 I don't have.

You can get the floods pretty cheap on ebay now. I hack my own to keep the costs waaaaaaay down.

I just purchased a "20 lot" for $171 + $12.99 shipping.

That's $9.20 each.

$9.20 for a 10w RGB Flood. Shipping included.

Dumb RGB ribbons from LOR are only $49.95 each, add a controller for $109.95, a power supply/cables/enclosure for $100 and total cost for 4 would be about $410.

Dragonfire....

As previous member stated....$1000 is far off on the cost for the items you want. Obviously if you are DIY kind of person, you will save yourself some $$.

I carry a RGB Dumb Controller in a kit. I also carry completely built, but if you’re looking for the less expensive route….building everything yourself is the ticket. The kit has all the main parts and you need and just provide your own hardware (bolt, nut, washer, screws, ect) from like HD or Lowes. Again, the kit just has the main parts only!

(1) RGB CMB24D Kit  $199.95

(4) RGB Dumb Strips (no connector)  $123.80

The kit comes with 8 pigtail sets, so use the female end for the controller and male end to the strip. Now you will need extension cables between the controller and strip. LOR strips comes with 16ft….mine does not. I intentionally did not include. Every house and every setup is different. I carry several different cable lengths (pre-made) so you could choose the right one for your setup. Or if going to cheaper route, make then yourself. The controller kit comes with 8 sets, but you only need 4 for your requirements. You can use the other 4 for the extension cables. I personally would build using all 8 to the controller and purchase 4 short pigtails sets so you’re not taking away from the kit….and its only $7.80 for 4 sets. All you need is the cable between the pigtails. You can find it online. Google, eBay, Monoprice, ect. I suggest you use 18AWG 4-wire. I think a couple years ago I purchased a 500ft roll for $60. HD and Lowes as it too.

So for the controller kit, strips and pigtials your at $331.55 (plus shipping). Add about another $60 - $80 for the cable and hardware and you should be around the $400 - $420 as complete. Remember, your building everything yourself so brush up on those soldering skills. Your time to build is priceless  :) 

Want to add a few floods...Santas Helper suggestion is ideal. Hack them yourself which doesn't look very hard at all. Good Luck

• Like 1

CLD Kevin,  That is great for the dumb spot lights and bulbs...   But I would like to do the top outline of my roof with the smart ones.  Like you did with your house that I saw for Party Rock until your HOA told you not to do it anymore in that extreme.  

Do you have any suggestions for the smart (pixelated) ones like the CCR.   because since the CCR's are only 16ft. and my roof line is 50 ft, but I have a gable in the middle.  I am calculating that I am going to need 4. and CCR's are $250 a piece.

------/\------                                If you have any ideas.

Santa's Helper.  What is the exact model of the RGB dumb floods that you got?

Santa's Helper.  What is the exact model of the RGB dumb floods that you got?

There isn't really an exact model number (that I know of). They are all practically the same (built with similar parts and all from China).

On ebay you can type 10W LED RGB Flood. You will find a bunch. Go for the cheapest price (but keep an eye on feedback ratings and shipping costs).

The cost is going down it seems each year. Last year I paid $18.00 each so a big drop in price on these now which makes hacking and saving $$$ much more worth the time. And as Kevin mentioned, it isn't that hard.

Here is something I found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-10W-LED-RGB-Flood-Light-IP65-Outdoor-Spotlight-Lampions-IR-Remote-Control-/191148738903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c815a4957

The seller has good ratings too.

The price will very so look around for the best deal.

that is a good price for 8 of them. And the ones that you bought was basically the same?  Where the IR cable came out.  But you hacked yours so LOR can change the colors with the controller box correct.  And the pics in your photobucket shows how?

that is a good price for 8 of them. And the ones that you bought was basically the same?  Where the IR cable came out.  But you hacked yours so LOR can change the colors with the controller box correct.  And the pics in your photobucket shows how?

Yes, the ones I purchased where pretty much the same. And yes, the LOR controller controls the hacked floods. And for the most part, my photobucket shows pics of the hacking. But if you need any assistance, just let me know.

I have 20 more on the way and will be hacking them soon. If I recall, it took about 10 to 15 minutes to hack each flood.

Okay so I've been following this post and have a few questions so please excuse me for butting in.  I just got my dumb ribbons, power supply and DC card. Hooked them up.

Wow that ribbon is bright!  I saw that you can set that to 80% white and then you can change it to full on for when you want it really bright?

Also I did notice the colors in the color fade tool don't exactly match up as people have said. I used the hardware utility and there was a "console" button that allowed you to slide each channel up and down until you get the desired color. I found a nice dark orange I'd like to use and made a note of the number under each channel.

My question is how to I get that color into the sequence editor for my sequence? I wish there was a way to save that color and then every time I wanted it I could just add it in. 

Aslo does everyone just use the cableguard 1500 enclosure for both the card and power supply?

How do I get the same number intensity that I did in the hardware utility? Sorry this is my first year.

When you have color fade tool open, select "choose" and enter RGB values, then add to custom colors.

I just started looking further into LED floods for Halloween 2014 and saw that they were out of stock in the LOR store. So, I bought 2 RGB controllers and decided to hack a few floods myself. here are some pictures of the ones I bought:

post-521-0-15631400-1400435226_thumb.jpgpost-521-0-98911400-1400435226_thumb.jpgpost-521-0-54132200-1400435227_thumb.jpg

I'll show pictures of the inside in next post.  I wanted to try to fully document this so others can follow along.

I was able to get these for $15 a piece, including tax & shipping. Here is what I found inside my RGB floods:

Disassembled - All parts included with the flood light:post-521-0-82519900-1400435582_thumb.jpg 

Edited by Jeff Juneman

What I found out was that the LED driver inside the back panel had a 110v AC input and the output was +12v common and individual Red, Green & Blue -12v . Since the LOR RGB controller looks like it is set up to control the "+" side by varying the positive voltage, the way these floods are set up will require major soldering to rewire them to a common "-" and individual "+" for each color. Here is how the wires are soldered to the LED inside the lamp:

post-521-0-77646200-1400436291_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the multiple posts...

I was also reading that resistors should be used on certain colors to help limit the current so as not to burn out the LED.  I tried hooking up the "+" common wire and then tested the individual "-" leads with the negative current and all worked just fine. I used a variable power supply, borrowed from a friend, and tested between 5 & 8 volts.  Some colors do burn brighter than others so I guess this is where the resistors come in to play.  If I will be using a 12v power supply, what size resistor should I be using on each color?

Any help with this is appreciated.

Once I complete the first few floods, I will post some more pictures for all to see.