Light-O-Rama Forums

How Are You Using Your CCBs & CCPs

bajantechie

Hi,

Would anyone be interested in showing how they are using their CCBs and CCPs. I have both but haven't come up with a workable design idea for them yet. 

Thanks

Ron.

Edited by bajantechie

Last year I has several strings of the CCB's on my roofline, I've replaced those with pixel ribbons. 

This year I'm going to put the CCB's on white christmas trees out in the yard (7 of them).

The link is a test video I took of the CCB's on the white tree. (not synchronized with the music yet)

http://lightshow.franktronics.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ccbtreetest1.wmv

I built 6 frames out of wood and sealed with primer for my windows and used shingle speed tabs to hold the CCBs in place, this way I can reuse the window frames every year and save a ton of time. Plus, it makes programming faster and more consistent. Next year, I plan to do the roofline with the CCB's if I am happy with how they look this year.

Here are a couple pics.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D9C99BF7E668D162!11708&authkey=!ABQfHm7uLuHjkSo

Also, for what it's worth, this is my first year ever doing LOR and may have gone above my head starting with RGB, but we shall see next month!

Edited by robigd

This video (part 2) is more how I did it then what I did with them, but I outlined my house.  The second half shows them on my house.

Steve

Hi,

Would anyone be interested in showing how they are using their CCBs and CCPs. I have both but haven't come up with a workable design idea for them yet. 

Thanks

Ron.

Here's what I did with one set of CCBs (100 bulbs) last year.  They're either side of the matrix on the right part of the screen.

http://vimeo.com/57729923

This year I'm using nine trees in a line right under the face and here's what it will look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVwRMj6vqs&list=UUSf4mh3AZsphTVdHyGp7SRg

Wow!!! You guys rock...

I am humbled at the site of what you guys are doing. ROBIGD how did you handle the length for the Frames? the CCBs are 25ft long per string so if your window were more or less how did you handled that?  

STEVE SYNEK I am assuming that you will be leaving them up all year right? Looks like a mighty fine job you did there in mounting them I wouldn't want to take them down other than for repairs.

Thanks for sharing

Ron.

Wow!!! You guys rock...

I am humbled at the site of what you guys are doing. ROBIGD how did you handle the length for the Frames? the CCBs are 25ft long per string so if your window were more or less how did you handled that?  

STEVE SYNEK I am assuming that you will be leaving them up all year right? Looks like a mighty fine job you did there in mounting them I wouldn't want to take them down other than for repairs.

Thanks for sharing

Ron.

Hey Ron,

Luckly, most of my windows were 6x6, so I only had 2 lights remaining from the CCB string. I am just going to cover them with black tape. For some smaller windows, I have 12 or so CCB's remaining and will do the same. I was somewhat of a perfectionist, making sure there was equal distance between each light, otherwise, I would have just squeezed them all in and had zero left over.

Initially, I looked into cutting them, but I have no experience with that and it was a little too large of an investment for me to go messing around with it.

The nice thing about the frames is that I only had to do it once and even though it was kind of a pain, it will make setting my display up much easier from here on out.

I plan to use them in their full splendor this year as they will be the central feature of my display. I am using 24 CCB strings in a 25 foot tall 360 degree megatree. I had it set up earlier this year and the effects you can program are amazing. I am very happy with the product and ease of use.

• Like 1

I plan to use them in their full splendor this year as they will be the central feature of my display. I am using 24 CCB strings in a 25 foot tall 360 degree megatree. I had it set up earlier this year and the effects you can program are amazing. I am very happy with the product and ease of use.

Very nice. Make sure to post a video. My wife would probably kill me if I bought 12 CCB controllers at the same time, lol.

Edited by robigd

Completely understand. I quickly learned that a Chirstmas light hobby involves multiple offshore accounts, selling off what you thought were your prized possessions, and some well timed gifts to your significant other to keep the waters calm. A small price to pay for a bigger show.

• Like 2

T17433 - I also have 24 CCB strings on a real 25' tall evergreen tree strung vertically. I don't think it will look as good as your megatree, however. It is going to be attached to cables, but I'm afraid some branches will get in the way, and may not be as uniformly spaced. What are you using for the center pole? I hope you will be posting some videos.

Just last night I tested my CCB's set up as arches.  I was worried that they wouldn't be 'dense' enough but

both my wife and I really liked the effect.  I ran a couple of sequences and the rabbits were jumping like

crazy!

I have a picket fence in the front of our yard with fence posts spaced 6 ft. (give or take a few inches) and cut

grade 20  3/4in PVC down to make arches that rise about 28 inches above the top runner in the fence and

then just wrapped them on the PVC.  I taped the first light wrapped the rest, then wrapped the last light.  It

appears to be quite stable.  For mounting I used 1/4 in lag bolts about 8 inches long.  They have a nut

molded into the top and fits perfect inside the PVC and it also makes driving them into the fence posts easy.

They are mounted at about a 30 degree angle from the vertical. 

Ken in West Seattle

• Like 1

Ken,

That idea sounds Interesting, a few pics would be nice to see even though your description is quite graphic. 

How many strings did you use...

How many arches did you make... 

Bajantechie-

I originally bought three sets of CCBulbs to use in a way similar to last year's set-up.  I had just

one 16 channel controller and I ran 4 ropes wrapped with red, white and blue LED light strings,

from my Ham Radio antenna mast to four of the fence posts in front.  However, I got totally

captivated by doing a 12 CCR tree and I have built one of the aluminum frames ala Frank Farmer.

So, what to do with the CCBulbs.  I knew I wanted arches and even purchased lots of LED light

strings in the after-holiday sales last year.  But I thought the CCBulbs might work, would be simpler

to set up and much more elegant in the way they could be controlled.  My test last Sunday night

exceeded my expectations and I think will be a close second to my 12 CCR tree in being the focus

of attention.

For my arches I am using two sets (four strings).  I have a picket fence in the front of our yard and

an entry way in the center.  The entry is about 10 ft. wide and there are three panels on each side

which are about 6 ft. each.  I have made four arches to fit two of the panels on either side of the

entry.  I started with 3/4 inch PVC schedule 20 (its lighter and bends easier that the 40) of 10 ft and

cut them down to make an arch that stood about 28 inches above the top runner of the fence sections.

That made them about 8 ft. long but it varies a bit as the spacing isn't perfect.  On each of the PVC

sections is wrapped with one of the strings.  As I indicated, I was worried that it wouldn't equal the

density of some the other arches I have seen, but it tested fine and looks cool.

I have attached three pix that should help visualize how I set it up.  'Arches 1' shows the overall

view of two of the arches.  In the background you can see my 20 ft. Ham Radio antenna mast

that will be the base for my 12 strip CCR tree.  Oh, and that's one of our Springer Spaniel pups,

Devi who posed for my Avatar.  'Arches 2' shows a close up of the middle fence post and how

the arches fit into the Lag bolts.  You can see where I wrapped one end with electrical tape and

the 'pig-tails' that will mount into my controller below.  This arrangement will be repeated on the

other side of my entry.  And finally 'Arches 3' shows the lag bolts without the arches.  The heads

just fit into the PVC and its quite stable.  The wind was blowing last Sunday and there was virtually

no movement of the arches.

Hope that helps.

post-11738-0-96591900-1384379498_thumb.j

post-11738-0-78722400-1384379499_thumb.j

post-11738-0-20482500-1384379500_thumb.j

Ken,

A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when it includes "Devi" :D . I really appreciate the detailed info on your arches. Good Idea my friend and I think I will try it out myself. I have a similar fence setup in my front yard.

I am not a Ham but an enthusiast. Have been hanging around the hobby for many years... Thanks once again and give my regards to Devi.

Ron.

DaisyJaime, It's a windows media file, kinda large. It may take a minute to load if your on a slow internet connection.

I just tested it and it works, please try again and PM if your still having problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a quick video of my 25 foot CCB tree. Will put up better video later. Right now, I'm just making sure the show is running smoothly..

• The topic was locked