Light-O-Rama Forums

Placing and Securing the LOR Showtime Controllers

mlevin

I am doing a Halloween project and it is my first time.

I have two 16- channel controllers. I am not a handyman type of guy and could really use help on the following:

- What is the best way to mount the controllers outside.

- What do I need to protect them from rain?

- How can I keep them from being stolen?

If anyone has any photos that might help, please send them.

Thanks

Mike

Thank you Steppe. It is so cool to be able to have help from people all over the world. While these were helpful, none of them really fills my current project. As this is my first year, I have only two 16-channel LOR Showtime controllers and a relatively small yeard. I think I can figure it out now but if you have any thoughts or can point me in that direction, I would be grateful.
Mike Levin

mlevin wrote:

I am doing a Halloween project and it is my first time.

I have two 16- channel controllers. I am not a handyman type of guy and could really use help on the following:

If anyone has any photos that might help, please send them.

Thanks

Mike

The first two are answered specificly here:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=14468&forum_id=76
Try using the search box on the left with keywords like:
mount showtime
mounting

The last one, well everything to electric fences,using BIG bolts to mount them on the wall, have motion sensitive lights, tripwire alarm and cameras.
Try using the search box on the left with keywords like:
alarm
theft
stolen
vandal
vandalise

I am new to LOR as well and have my Halloween show up and running. 32 channels, controlling lights, pneumatic pop-ups, even the headlights on my jeep. We have been doing Halloween for many years, seriously the last 7. I got tired of hand made motion detectors, and other switching devices and finally bought two 16 channel controllers.

I have one inside the house in my fireplace, I run all the extenstion cords out through the clean-out chute, which happens to be in the front of the house. The other controller is on the roof (flat roofs here in Tucson), and the cords run out to branches of the trees and down as necessary. So no fear of theft. As for rain, one is inside, and the other I monitor the weather closely, although, again here in Tucson rain is not much of a worry. As for mounting, I just have them laying on their back.

Happy Haunting!

Dave

ps. For great Halloween ideas, see the Monster List of Halloween Projects:
http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/

First a fast answer on mounting the units. I made a "bracket" which bolts to the controller. Then I bolted the whole unit to a metal fence post (the kind used for wire fences, snow fences, sand fence...). I used a 6 foot post which provides enough height to mount the controller so the plugs keep off the ground and there is enough post left to mount the wireless antenna.

To secure the unit, I purchased some 3/8" security steel cable that has loops at each end and a box of contractor keyed pad locks. If you buy the contractor size the locks are all keyed to the same key.

Next I placed the controller close to something I could run the cable to. These cables come in lengths from 2 to 30 feet, so you have a lot of options. I found LARGE trees to be a good source. I put the cable around the tree then ran one end of the loop through the other loop. Then I would attach the cable using the pad lock to the control unit via the lockout tab that goes through the front cover of the control box.

This is not theft proof but at least it should stop the "casual thief". If you are using a tree be sure to use one large enough that someone can slip the cable over the tree top.

If any of this is unclear, I would be happy to draw something up and include some pictures.

Lee

My solution was to mount them in the garage (with the PC that controls the show) and create a three inch conduit through the wall convenient to the show. I've got caps for it off-season to keep it from being a tunnel for little critters.

My solution was to mount them in the garage (with the PC that controls the show) and create a three inch conduit through the wall convenient to the show. I've got caps for it off-season to keep it from being a tunnel for little critters.

Jeff Millard wrote:

That pretty much describes why we lock most everything up. To keep honest folks honest. A real thief or someone intent on vandalism isn't going to have much trouble getting to your controllers. Take John Garrant's 2005 display as an example. Totally destroyed while they slept in the house.

The story about John is here:

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=1696&forum_id=6

Jeff,

See attached photo.

Anyone wanted more details let me know (email me) and I will email you with a Word document that has step by step insructions and more photos. File size approx 1.4 meg.

Jeff, question for you, where and how did you attach the LOR graphic with the number of channels????

Lee

Attached files 141643=8418-IMG_9344A.JPG

This is what I do, don't mean to offend anyone:

put them in the garage, on the shelf

keep the garage door closed when it's raining

Lock the doors at night and when you're not home.

No controllers have been stolen yet!

I guess I'm lucky. My house is 3 stories, and I'm mounting the LOR control in a wooden cabinet I built (for a little extra weather protection) and mounting the box on the second floor. I'm just going to be extra careful with attaching the power cords so someone doesn't just grab them and pull it down.

I suppose it also helps that I'm on a fairly main street too :) I'm more concerned with people actually taking the strings.

no gaurantee that someone won't get creative... to that end I'll be using video surveilance and a trip wire system as well.