Light-O-Rama Forums

Fm transmitter

Mr. Detail

I am in need of a new FM TRANSMITTER have any good suggestions??

I currently run a mobile black box v6000. And it stinks. Need something with more power and range.

I see tons for sale but I am simply unsure what to get.

EDM is excellent.  I've had mine for 6 years.

The CZH05B is also excellent.  Got one this summer for backup and like it so much I'm using it for the show and relegating the EDM to back-up status.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APST86E/ref=pe_226320_29965270_email_1p_3_ti

Depends on the definition of "good one". The cheapest one even a real radio station would use is the BW TX-5 which certainly has a lot of great features - adjustable TX power from 100mw to 5 watt, remote control, built in limiter, MDX input and it can measure reflective power so you know how well your antenna is tuned. A real Pro unit which I have seen being used as repeater or LP FM TX. And - crystal clear sound.

Well - the downside is the price tag of almost $1k....

Last year I bought all my stuff from Light-O-Rama, including the *cough*Whole Home*cough*  FM Transmitter...  (no researching first.. ya pay the price)

This year I switched to the CZH05B and have been thrilled with it, and for the price ($86.00 shipped), you really can't beat it.

Jamie

I'm using the EDM-RDS. I thought it would be cool to have the song titles going through to the car's radios so I spent the extra.

I need to purchase an FM transmitter as well, as this is my first year doing it. Is the LOR model not a good one? Also, does the EDM-RDS require assembly? I do like the idea of transmitting the song title to the listeners radio. Is this not possible with the LOR model?

EDM offers models that you do completely or assembled at %99 done...with or without enclosures and so on. The %1 assembly is soldering a power connector on.

. Is the LOR model not a good one? Also, does the EDM-RDS require assembly? I do like the idea of transmitting the song title to the listeners radio. Is this not possible with the LOR model?

Depends on your definition of "good".  If your definition of good includes your transmitted signal actually reaching the street, then there are better options.  In fact, every option I've ever heard of (including standing at the curb and singing the songs yourself) is better than the Whole Room Transmitter.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

. Is the LOR model not a good one? Also, does the EDM-RDS require assembly? I do like the idea of transmitting the song title to the listeners radio. Is this not possible with the LOR model?

Depends on your definition of "good".  If your definition of good includes your transmitted signal actually reaching the street, then there are better options.  In fact, every option I've ever heard of (including standing at the curb and singing the songs yourself) is better than the Whole Room Transmitter.

I couldn't help but laugh a bunch at the "singing the songs yourself"....cool! I did the research here before here before purchasing and quickly saw the EDM was one of the best, so I went with it. No complaints here.

I am in need of a new FM TRANSMITTER have any good suggestions??

I currently run a mobile black box v6000. And it stinks. Need something with more power and range.

I see tons for sale but I am simply unsure what to get.

Years ago i almost purchased the V6000, then I noticed it was "MONO" output. Why in the world would someone sell a MONO FM transmitter?

So I went for the MBB Eclipse 4000 and it's got plenty of power, so much I have to use an attenuator with it to be legal or at least close to it :-). And the output is stereo and very crisp and clear. I love it.

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 1

Years ago i almost purchased the V6000, then I noticed it was "MONO" output. Why in the world would someone sell a MONO FM transmitter?

So I went for the MBB Eclipse 4000 and it's got plenty of power, so much I have to use an attenuator with it to be legal or at least close to it :-). And the output is stereo and very crisp and clear. I love it.

Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000 owner here, too.  Very happy with the quality of audio.  The power is...significant.  I also use an attenuator, a 10db one, and it now only travels clearly to within the boundaries of my neighborhood...instead of a mile+.

Just bought a CZH05B...in low power mode I hope it's not too powerful.  My brother-in-law will be using it.  Considering another attenuator.  So long as it sounds good in front of the house, that's all I care about :)

The CZH05B is also excellent.  Got one this summer for backup and like it so much I'm using it for the show and relegating the EDM to back-up status.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APST86E/ref=pe_226320_29965270_email_1p_3_ti

Just put an order through for one of these, thanks SO much for the link and a bit of insight into it.  Looks like the company that sells it is pretty good, too. 

So - power - how far will this baby go in Low power mode?  Do I need an attenuator on this?

So - power - how far will this baby go in Low power mode?  Do I need an attenuator on this?

Can't answer your questions.  We live in a river valley with the river on one side and a bluff two blocks away on the other side.  The CZH05B easily covers the entire area.  If we were flatlanders it would indeed be interesting to see just how far it goes.

I don't believe an attenuator is needed.  The transmitter has two gain/output controls - one for line input and one for mic input.  Of course, YMMV.

Mine just arrived in the mail today.  Plugged it in, connected pc out to audio in on unit, turned it on to an unused frequency in my area (89.5) and just like that I was on the air!  Could not be easier.  Thanks for the tip George. 

Don

ps. - I snagged mine for a few bucks less on ebay.